driving to Denali from Anchorage and back with a rental car

JAN1

We are taking a Princess cruise from Whittier on June 2nd. We are flying into Anchorage on May 29th and renting a car. We will stay overnight one night and want to drive to Denali National Park. Deciding if we should head back on June 1st or 2nd? Not sure if it is rushing it to head back on the same day that our ship leaves. Will it be worth driving there and staying May 30th and 31st for the 2 nights? I also found out we can't go too far into the park since it is early in the season. So right now planning on staying May 29th in Anchorage, May 30 and 31 in Denali and June 1st back in Anchorage before getting on our June 2nd cruise. Also anyone have a reasonable hotel in Anchorage? We are staying first night at Longhouse Alaskan Hotel Not sure where to stay on June 1st. We will have a rental car to use.

Janice

I decided to get more opinions by putting it on another site. Can anyone recommend reasonable hotels in Anchorage and what is the best way to get to Whittier from Anchorage airport after we return the rental car?

I decided to get more opinions by putting it on another site. Can anyone recommend reasonable hotels in Anchorage and what is the best way to get to Whittier from Anchorage airport after we return the rental car?

It's not another site. You asked the same question 3 times on the Cruise Critic Alaska boards.

Depends on what you think is reasonable, which car rental agency you are using and how you are getting to the ship. Where are you returning your car? How are your getting to the ship? I would pick a place that is close to one of these places so you don't have to take two taxis.

I'll give you my plans for the week after yours: staying at Comfort Suites near the airport night of 6/5. Picking car up early next AM at Enterprise Spenard location (walking distance from hotel) to head to Denali. Return to Anchorage and stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Midtown night of 6/9, return the car to Enterprise South location (walking distance from hotel, closed but allows after hours dropoff). Take cab or Uber/Lyft early next morning to train station.

Both of my hotels have good reviews

We were going to rent a car when we arrive in Anchorage at the airport but thinking about renting offsite. Enterprise sounds good. On June 2nd we need to get to the ship in Whittier so probably taking the Alaska Cruise shuttle with a stop at the wildlife place in the early afternoon. They will pick up at hotels and at the aurport

Thanks It is our first time in Alaska and a little confusing Just know we have to be back for our cruise that leaves on June 2nd Also has anyone ever done the 26 glacier boat trip out of Whittier? We can either take the shuttle that stops at Wildlife place or try to get to Whittier to take the 26 gl;acier boat trip before our cruise.

Janice

My favorite Anchorage hotel is the Clarion Suites downtown. Nothing in Anchorage in the summer will be cheap. But the Susitna Place isn't bad: http://www.susitnaplace.com/

To Whittier: my first choice would be the Alaska Railroad. It gets you to Whittier early enough for a Prince William Sound glacier cruise.

If you decide to go with Enterprise and don't mind a no-frills hotel, The Puffin Inn has decent reviews on TripAdvisor and a room for $128. It is within walking distance of the Enterprise office on Spenard (.3 mile).

I just booked the Puffin Inn which is walking distance to Enterprise car rental.

I just booked the Puffin Inn which is walking distance to Enterprise car rental.

Have you checked the prices at Enterprise yet? I lucked out on a great deal (Wed AM through Sat 10 PM for around $170 including taxes), but that we several months ago. Last time I checked it was a lot higher (like $400 or more). Get your car figured out, and if it's not Enterprise we might be able to find you a decent hotel near whatever agency you choose.

Have you checked the prices at Enterprise yet? I lucked out on a great deal (Wed AM through Sat 10 PM for around $170 including taxes), but that we several months ago. Last time I checked it was a lot higher (like $400 or more). Get your car figured out, and if it's not Enterprise we might be able to find you a decent hotel near whatever agency you choose.

I reserved a car only from May29th through June 1st. I actually reserved an intermediate car and a small SUV. If we plan on driving to Denali would we be better off in an SUV or would an intermediate car be ok? Our plans so far are fly into Anchorage on May 29th. Stay at LongHouse Alaskan Hotel rent the car. Leave May 30th for Denali. Stay overnight 2 nights then drive back on June 1st to stay at Puffin Inn Either taking Alaska Cruise shuttle bus to ship or something else on June 2nd. Going on Star Princess on June 2nd

If we plan on driving to Denali would we be better off in an SUV or would an intermediate car be ok?

Whatever size car that comfortably fits you & your luggage will work. The roads are all paved that you'll be driving on. The only advantage an SUV might have is you'll probably sit up higher than a sedan by a little bit, which might give you some better views. But either vehicle will get you there just fine.

Whatever size car that comfortably fits you & your luggage will work. The roads are all paved that you'll be driving on. The only advantage an SUV might have is you'll probably sit up higher than a sedan by a little bit, which might give you some better views. But either vehicle will get you there just fine.[/quote

We will be in Denali on May 30th and May 31st but must leave on June 1st to get back to Anchorage. Is it still worth going to Denali since we will be limited as far as how many miles the shuttle will take us? We are staying at White Moose Lodge by Healy. ]