First time Royal & Freedom of the Seas

DebbieMo

We are sailing for the first time with RCI in April. Sailed 14 years ago on Princess and last 2 summers on Carnival.

We will be on Freedom of the Seas and was wondering if there are any “must do” (included/no cost) on the ship. We won’t be doing speciality dining because being our first time we would like to see what the MDR offers each night.

I know you don’t know what I would like but would love to hear what you enjoyed doing and would recommend.

We have a promenade view Stateroom on deck 7 btw.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Freedom is my favorite ship! We will be on her soon. I very much enjoy dinner in the MDR. Have fun with your waiters! Check out the flow rider. Just as much fun to watch as it is to participate. Head up to the front of the ship and spend some time on the helipad. And don’t miss the silent disco night. I didn’t think it would be fun but we ended up having a blast. The 70’s party is always a good time. Get involved and dance. Don’t miss the sunset. It’s always beautiful. Ask to sit at a large table in the MDR and make new friends! I have some wonderful friends I have met that way, including one who has become my bestie❤️. The pizza at Sorento’s always tastes the best at 2:00am and there will be a line! Let all the staff know they are doing a great job!! They work hard and need to hear it.

And don’t miss Quest!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Freedom is our favorite ship. Favorites? The Ice Show is amazing for such a small rink. Don't miss the Quest. It's adults only and late at night. With a promenade cabin, you'll have a front row seat to the street parties and parades. We LOVE the 70's party. EVERYONE "participates"...it's contagious. Even though you will have a front row seat from your cabin, you might feel the need to get down there in the crowd. So much fun. We love the MDR and have never felt it necessary to go to the specialty restaurants. We love having our waiters already knowing what we like and anticipate our needs by night two. We've never had a bad experience with our waiters. We're don't require a lot from our cabin steward but we've had some really amazing ones. Ask for an ice bucket if it's important to you. They don't 'automatically fill them but your steward will make sure it stays filled with ice if you ask them on day one. I LOVE the promenade cafe and I have an addiction to the Ranger cookies. I sometimes use room service coffee delivery as my wake up call. You can still get the continental breakfast for free. Just use the card just inside your cabin to fill it out at night, and put a time for delivery the next morning. I usually room with one of my grown daughters. I go up to the Promenade cafe for early, early coffee and the room service delivery is HER wake up to get ready to go to breakfast with me. I put an envelope with small bills for tips in the dresser draw so that it's ready for the delivery. They give you a call right before they arrive so that you are up to answer the door when they knock. I would not dare try the flow-rider, but I love watching the folks who do. We have a couple of 20-somethings that plan to try it...again... and we will be there watching them. LOVE the little pub in the promenade area. If you want nuts and snacks with your drink, ask the bartender. The come in a little "bottle" type thing to keep people's fingers from touching them (which I LOVE) and it's nice to have a salty snack with your drinks. If you are going to the shows, go early. Seating is first come, first serve. I think it's deck four that you can walk around at sunset and late at night to get a great feel for being at sea. Even though we usually have a balcony cabin, I still have to walk around on this deck every night. It's a wooden deck and my favorite place to go right after dinner or before turning in at night. I think it's the most peaceful place on the ship.

Freedom is my favorite ship! We will be on her soon. I very much enjoy dinner in the MDR. Have fun with your waiters! Check out the flow rider. Just as much fun to watch as it is to participate. Head up to the front of the ship and spend some time on the helipad. And don’t miss the silent disco night. I didn’t think it would be fun but we ended up having a blast. The 70’s party is always a good time. Get involved and dance. Don’t miss the sunset. It’s always beautiful. Ask to sit at a large table in the MDR and make new friends! I have some wonderful friends I have met that way, including one who has become my bestie❤️. The pizza at Sorento’s always tastes the best at 2:00am and there will be a line! Let all the staff know they are doing a great job!! They work hard and need to hear it.

And don’t miss Quest!!!!

Silent disco?? What’s that about or will I just have to wait and see? Quest was so much fun on Carnival, will def check it out.

Thanks for all the advice!

Freedom is our favorite ship. Favorites? The Ice Show is amazing for such a small rink. Don't miss the Quest. It's adults only and late at night. With a promenade cabin, you'll have a front row seat to the street parties and parades. We LOVE the 70's party. EVERYONE "participates"...it's contagious. Even though you will have a front row seat from your cabin, you might feel the need to get down there in the crowd. So much fun. We love the MDR and have never felt it necessary to go to the specialty restaurants. We love having our waiters already knowing what we like and anticipate our needs by night two. We've never had a bad experience with our waiters. We're don't require a lot from our cabin steward but we've had some really amazing ones. Ask for an ice bucket if it's important to you. They don't 'automatically fill them but your steward will make sure it stays filled with ice if you ask them on day one. I LOVE the promenade cafe and I have an addiction to the Ranger cookies. I sometimes use room service coffee delivery as my wake up call. You can still get the continental breakfast for free. Just use the card just inside your cabin to fill it out at night, and put a time for delivery the next morning. I usually room with one of my grown daughters. I go up to the Promenade cafe for early, early coffee and the room service delivery is HER wake up to get ready to go to breakfast with me. I put an envelope with small bills for tips in the dresser draw so that it's ready for the delivery. They give you a call right before they arrive so that you are up to answer the door when they knock. I would not dare try the flow-rider, but I love watching the folks who do. We have a couple of 20-somethings that plan to try it...again... and we will be there watching them. LOVE the little pub in the promenade area. If you want nuts and snacks with your drink, ask the bartender. The come in a little "bottle" type thing to keep people's fingers from touching them (which I LOVE) and it's nice to have a salty snack with your drinks. If you are going to the shows, go early. Seating is first come, first serve. I think it's deck four that you can walk around at sunset and late at night to get a great feel for being at sea. Even though we usually have a balcony cabin, I still have to walk around on this deck every night. It's a wooden deck and my favorite place to go right after dinner or before turning in at night. I think it's the most peaceful place on the ship.

Haha, I don’t think I’ll be trying the flo rider either but will def go watch! We have anytime dining for the first time since it’s just hubby and I so we may not get the same waiters but it will be nice getting to meet different ones each night.

Thank you for all the great info! Ranger cookies [emoji848]

Silent disco?? What’s that about or will I just have to wait and see?

We are on Freedom in April as well, so I am loving this thread.

We were on Celebrity in August and did the Silent Disco, it was a hoot! They give everyone headphones that have 3 channels with different genres of music and you dance to whichever channel you are listening to. The headphones light up different colors based on the channel so you can tell what everyone is listening to and you can change your channel at any time. It sounds silly, and it is, but it's also really fun!

We are on Freedom in April as well, so I am loving this thread.

We were on Celebrity in August and did the Silent Disco, it was a hoot! They give everyone headphones that have 3 channels with different genres of music and you dance to whichever channel you are listening to. The headphones light up different colors based on the channel so you can tell what everyone is listening to and you can change your channel at any time. It sounds silly, and it is, but it's also really fun!

That sounds hilarious! Will def check it out.

We sail the 22nd, you?

I'll be on her on the 14th. I agree with everything that was said. If you want a real front row seat for the 70's party, I would recommend going to the pub before the parade starts that night. At least an hour if not two. Grab a table outside in the promenade and have a few beers and relax. Then you can jump on up when the dancing starts.

We're on the 8th. I'll try to come back and give you some quick highlights when we return. This is our first Royal cruise, too. We love Celebrity, but the teens are going this time and they want all the activities.

Thanks! I'm sad to leave our kids behind on this one but hubby and I need some time together. We can't wait!

Hope you all have a great time!

Can teens go to the 70's party and Quest? Mine are 19 and 16 almost 17?

thanks!

Totally up to parents. The only activities that are closely controlled by age are: late night disco for 18 and over, gambling for 18 and over, and alcohol consumption for 21 and over.

There are some different ages for gambling and alcohol consumption depending on itinerary.

Can teens go to the 70's party and Quest? Mine are 19 and 16 almost 17?

thanks!

Would you take your teens to an adult comedy show? Every family is different and only you can know if Quest would be appropriate but there are a lot of sexual things being said and done. I haven't been to it on RCI though so I don't know how different it is from carnival.

I've never been to the 70s party.

Edited by DebbieMo