Homelands EIDFJORD excursions - which one?

2cruisecats

We are trying to decide between "The Scenic Flam Railway" and "Voss & Gillo" options. I'd appreciate input from those who have done either tour, or other options, on the Eidfjord day. Our booking date is fast approaching and I'm getting anxious -- hoping to get the tours we want! (We will be spending 3 days in Bergen at the end of the cruise and then heading to Copenhagen or Oslo for a few days.)

We did Scenic Flam in September and it was pretty good. A little disorganized getting seating arranged in the multiple cars, but still worth the trip.

Luncheon at Fleischer’s Hotel was pitiful. Self-serve cold sandwiches and cups of water.

Eidfjord was my favorite port. It's stunning. We opted not to take a ship sponsored tour. Instead we took a nature walk on our own that I had read about on here. It was wonderful being out in the fresh air, on our own, taking time to enjoy it all. We would do it again in a heartbeat. Unbelievable scenery. You stop at their visitor center and they will give you a map for the walk. The signage is excellent. They have two different walks that are color coded. We took the longer walk. Somehow we managed to double the length of time that it supposedly takes because we would stop and soaked it all up. We took the train to Oslo after Bergen so I felt that we didn't need to take the Flam Railway in Eidfjord.

• Like 1

We took "The Scenic Flam Railway" and enjoyed it tremendously. Longish bus ride but the trails around and THROUGH the mountains were scenic. Especially enjoyed the tunnels where to my amazement they have roundabouts! Stopped the bus twice, out & back, to photograph and get sprayed by different waterfalls.

Folks also enjoyed doing nature walks on their own. I'd do the walk next time for variety.

The ship's entry into Eidfjord at breakfast was spectacular. Waterfalls everywhere. May 30th.

We did the Bergen Express (Bergen to Oslo) as well, but the Scenic Flam excursion does let you get closer to the waterfalls. We had three waterfall stops along the way, and the Flam Line train is a significantly different ride than the Bergen Express. We did switch to that train in Voss.

Not sure what stops you make with the Voss, Geilo & Bergen Rail excursion.

As someone who gets motion sickness if someone looks at me cross-eyed, I will say that neither the bus nor train caused me any problems. The buses they use are really nice, with huge windows,and there is certainly lots to look at outside, which really helps me! And the train also is very stable around curves - I hardly noticed them! It was a delightful excursion.

Is the scenic Flam railway a paid excursion? You dock right by the train station and could probably buy your railway tickets in advance here:

https://www.visitflam.com/en/flamsbana/rutetider/

Then you don’t have to get off the train except for scenic stops. We were on the Celebrity Eclipse in May 2017 and the cruiseline excursion was twice the cost of buying your own tickets. We didn’t have to walk up a snowpacked hill (not kidding or exaggerating) to eat a waffle or a sandwich that was included in the ship’s excursion either.

Is the scenic Flam railway a paid excursion? You dock right by the train station and could probably buy your railway tickets in advance here:

https://www.visitflam.com/en/flamsbana/rutetider/

Then you don’t have to get off the train except for scenic stops. We were on the Celebrity Eclipse in May 2017 and the cruiseline excursion was twice the cost of buying your own tickets. We didn’t have to walk up a snowpacked hill (not kidding or exaggerating) to eat a waffle or a sandwich that was included in the ship’s excursion either.

Homelands cruise docked in Eidfjord which is nowhere near the train station in Flam.

No, on the train. Can’t speak to the bus, we did the train both ways.

So did we in 2016 on VH and I think I read you did your trip with another cruise line but now, on the VH itinerary, the ship does not go to Flam, they go to Elfjord so there is a bus ride now involved with this excursion.

We docked in Eidfjord last September. Bus trip was scenic and wasn't bad. The round-a-bouts inside mountain tunnels were interesting. First stop was Tvindefossen Waterfall and a restroom break.

Boarded the The Flam Line (Flamsbana) in Flam for a scenic ride. The train made a photo stop at Kjosfossen waterfall. After a few minutes, music started playing and a woman in red (portraying Huldra the wood nymph) appeared on the distant rocks dancing to her siren song. The view, thundering noise, water spray, and short performance made for a very impressive waterfall.

In Myrdal, changed trains to the Bergen Rail Line. This modern train is in contrast to the older style train coach on the Flam Line. We stopped in Voss for lunch at the historic Fleischer's Hotel. Nice hotel, but lunch wasn't up to Viking standards.

Departed Voss by bus and stopped at Skjervsfossen Waterfall on way back to Eidfjord.

We got back in time to jump on the afternoon included Scenic Hardangervidda Nature Center excursion.

We are trying to decide between "The Scenic Flam Railway" and "Voss & Gillo" options. I'd appreciate input from those who have done either tour, or other options, on the Eidfjord day. Our booking date is fast approaching and I'm getting anxious -- hoping to get the tours we want! (We will be spending 3 days in Bergen at the end of the cruise and then heading to Copenhagen or Oslo for a few days.)

You may want to check into Norway in a Nutshell from Bergen to Oslo. We are doing the reverse (Oslo to Bergen) in July. Sounds like the scenery is incredible.