Do groups control cabin selection??

CapnKirk

Hi. I'm attracted to the group-cruise opportunities here but have dumb question.

If I and my spouse wish to purchase into one of the groups are we *assigned a cabin based on our selections of category, etc, or can me make the selection ourselves from the group's block?

How does that work?

-Thanks!

I think it all depends on the "Group cruise" you are looking into.

I am booked on the CC "HAL-O-WEEN DAM Cruise" on the HAL Westerdam in October. This was considerd a "Group" cruise by HAL based on a minimum nuber of cabins being purchased. We contacted the TA chosen by CC for the group. We had the choice of any available cabin on the ship, with a special rate for the group. There were no pre determined cabins to choose from. In our case, we gave the TA a specific cabin number we wanted to book (same cabin as our very first cruise on the Westerdam) and once she confirmed it was not already booked, she reserved it for us.

As Bonnie J. noted, some large TAs sell a "Group" cruise which is actually a block of cabins that the TA purchased from the cruise line. In that case the only cabins you will have to pick from are the ones the TA bought in their block.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Thank you!

So, I take it that we almost certainly will get to choose our cabin (thought maybe from only a pre-reserved block).

I suppose the only travelers who do NOT choose their cabins are those traveling "guaranteed" rate? And they are assigned one by cruise line. Is that how that works?

So, when I call crucon to purchase into a group I should be informed of the available cabins we can choose from. Is that right?

Thanks for helping us neophytes!:)

So, I take it that we almost certainly will get to choose our cabin (thought maybe from only a pre-reserved block)

It's my understanding that each of the CC group cruises have a certain number of available cabins in select categories. For instance, the group minisuites may be AC, the group balconies may be BA, the group insides may be E, etc. Those categories are listed on the CC group cruise pricing sheet with the applicable fares. You can book any of the available cabins in any of the "pre-determined" group categories through the CC-assigned travel agent.

If you want a specific cabin in a different category, you should contact the CC-assigned TA to see what group rate, if any, you would pay for that non-listed category.

I suppose the only travelers who do NOT choose their cabins are those traveling "guaranteed" rate? And they are assigned one by cruise line. Is that how that works?

That's right, the cruise line can assign you any cabin in that category or any higher category. Sometimes the category is all booked up, and you can only book that category as a guarantee. Other times, people prefer to book as a guarantee in hopes that will increase their chance to get an upgrade. A guarantee if OK if (1) you don't care which cabin you have in your guaranteed category AND (2) you would be happy with any of the cabins in any of the categories higher than your guaranteed category. You should not book a guarantee if there are any such cabins that you do not want! Or for sure, you will be assigned one of those cabins! :eek:

So, when I call crucon to purchase into a group I should be informed of the available cabins we can choose from. Is that right?

Yes. Before you call, you can check the group cruise pricing categories to see if any of them meet your needs then check the ship deck plan to see which cabin(s) you'd like in the listed categories. Or which cabin(s) you definitely do not want. If you don't want any of the listed categories, decide what you want so you can ask. That way, you'll be ready to accept or reject the available cabins and/or categories.

We have never had a problem getting any cabin if its still available, Think the big cruise agencies book a number of each catagory not necessarily specific cabins. We go on line to see what's available then tell our TA, with cruise.com, which one we want and she books that one for us.

I personally wont book unless i know where i'm gong to be sleeping exactly.We got screwed on this one time and i got to look at a lifeboat for a 7day cruise:mad: .You can get an exact room gauranteed if you ask. Dont buy into the cataegory gaurantee its not all its cracked up to be.Someone has to have the obstructed view cabin.:eek:

Seeeuuu

Jeff

On the groups that I host and the groups I booked I was able to book any cabin I wanted.

We hold so many balconies...suites, oceanviews and insides. On my caribbean Princess I didnt have a BA held but wsa able to get one with the group price.

It doesnt hurt to check it out.

Most people on our Liberty cruise all have picked a certain cabin.

I had a friend who was with a group. the agent booked ONLY oceanview guarantees together.. so no one was able to pick a certain cabin.

I think a lot of it depends on the cruise line's policies. On our group cruise on Carnival, we booked a guarantee cabin, on our cruise to Hawaii next summer we had to choose a cabin. I was told it was NCL's policy with groups. We've always enjoyed booking a guarantee and had great luck with our cabin assignment so were a little disappointed. It is nice to have the choice to go either way. What group cruise are you looking into?

• 2 weeks later...

It should be that only guarantee passengers don't choose their cabin but in fact if you don't know the ropes, and just walk into a travel agent and say I want to take a cruise chances are good that they will call the cruiseline and you will simply be assigned a cabin in whatever class you ask for.

When you have cruised a lot you forget how naive new cruisers can be and that is not intended as a put down, you do in fact just forget, like " oh come on everyone knows that!" when of course everyone does not know it.

By all means find out what cabins are available and choose your own from them. Often even with a group you can find a cabin online that you like that is available and the group can pick it up for you and just swap out one they have in inventory.

Archived