Wanna try ncl

Badgeaz

I'm thinking of trying ncl. I've taken my 1st 2 cruises with royal carribean . Ive been to alaska and the western carribean. I'm looking at the eastern carribean for my birthday in janurary I have been on harmory and explorer of the seas on royal. What pros and cons are there between the 2 companies. I've always booked specialty restaurants on my previous cruises. I usually have a obc for my alcohol. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Badgeaz

I'm thinking of trying ncl. I've taken my 1st 2 cruises with royal carribean . Ive been to alaska and the western carribean. I'm looking at the eastern carribean for my birthday in janurary I have been on harmory and explorer of the seas on royal. What pros and cons are there between the 2 companies. I've always booked specialty restaurants on my previous cruises. I usually have a obc for my alcohol. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Badgeaz

We've cruised RCCL 4 times and NCL 2 times. VERY broadly speaking, the experiences are very similar. If you liked what you experienced on RCCL, you should enjoy NCL as well. The ship you select will certainly have an impact. The Harmony, obviously, is huge, and NCL doesn't have anything quite so spectacular. The Explorer (we've been on her) is pretty big, too. NCL (and RCCL) also have a number of ships a fair amount smaller than either of the two you've done, and that WILL impact your experience. It's not BAD, just different.

I guess I'm mentioning all that because if you go with a smaller NCL ship and try to compare the experience to the Harmony...don't blame NCL for that. If you had sailed on a small RCCL ship, it would be the same "wow, this is different" experience. HOWEVER, we have loved all our cruises, ranging from HUGE ships (ALLURE) to SMALL (Serenade of the Seas).

So, having rambled on about that...otherwise I would say most of the differences between the cruise lines are relatively small. Both have specialty restaurants. Both may or may not be offering specials that include OBC...that's more a matter of timing or a good TA than the cruise line itself. Folks will weigh in with pros/cons (I sure could) for each...but in the end, more is the same than different. If you have an itinerary and price and date you like, I think you should feel fine going with NCL, IMO.

We've sailed RCCI on several occasions. We have become loyal NCL fans, not to say we wouldn't ever do RCCI again.

Depending on stateroom booked you can get three nights specialty dining and drink package included. You have to pay the gratuities with reservation, but I still consider it a bargain.

I think you will find a wider array of choices for specialty dining with NCL, and I have never had a bad meal in the included dining rooms. RCCI has "anytime dining" but it looked very disjointed on the last cruise we were on. Lots of people waiting to be seated. NCL invented freestyle dining and we have never had an issue with getting a table.

I thought the RCCI big ship entertainment was great, but so is NCL's. Other than that, it's a ship with rooms, no matter who you sail with.

We have had a number of cruises on Royal ships mostly on the Freedom and Oasis class ships. We have had 3 NCL cruises and I just booked our 4th. In terms OBC and perks, they can slightly vary. If you opt for the drink package and/or the specialty dining package, you will pay the gratuities on those with the cruise fare. For us, it is less expensive and more convenient to do that.

I find that the service is what makes NCL special. The service we have received has been outstanding on all 3 ships. The complimentary food options are better and numerous, open longer. The entertainment may not be broadway musicals but it is good and varied. they have nightly music at 3 different venues in addition to nightly show and usually have a party at night like the 80's party etc. They still have a poolside live band which Royal has quit on some of their ships. The entertainment and specialty restaurants vary by ship.

To give you an idea on the Escape -there is Howl in the Moon pianos, comedy, and 3 other bands playing at different venues besides the shows. Foodwise, the complimentary food besides the MDRs include a dining room that features live band and dancing music, 23 hour open sit in area serving bar food, and the Supper club 6 pm dinner/show is complimentary. There are 5-6 specialty restaurants raging from French, Brazilian to Hibachi cooking. I now much prefer NCL. The one thing I wish NCL would do is expand their pool area, the pool area on all of their ships is not sufficient enough for the number of guests.

We are in our 50's and our kids are grown and out of the house so we prefer sailings with less kids as well. We avoid any holiday or fall/spring break times. We can also sail longer 10-12 day cruises that have more interesting itineraries which also do not have as many kids.

Having less kids on the ship matters to me. I was surprised the amount on harmony in early December. The 10 day eastern on the jade has my interest in December

We did Panama Canal on the Jade this past Nov. It is a newly refurbished ship ( last May) and is a beautiful ship. If you get a suite, the concierge Omar is the best I've ever seen. It doesn't have the bells and whistles that Harmony of the seas has but we made some really good friends that we plan on cruising with again. Our cruise was a 12 day cruise and covered TG but there were very few kids - so few that adults had free reign to both pools. I would not hesitate to book the Jade again. The service was awesome!

Have you decided whether you like a large ship or a small ship? Do you know which ports you'd like to visit? I'm no saying it's wrong to compare cruise lines, I just think having an open mind and knowing what to expect (which is what you're attempting to do I think) is a good thing.

The Jade is half the size of Harmony and Explorer but it's the atmosphere that many love on the smaller ships.

I find it so much easier to meet fellow passengers but I'm not into the water slides or the huge add on adventure venues of the larger ships.

I've cruised on the Epic and MSC Divina and enjoyed the Divina more than the Epic but... there will always be differences.

So, what makes a great cruise for you? That is the question, IMO.

Hope you find the cruise of your dreams...

Cheers:bottle-pop:

Well after seeing pics of the bliss now I'm undecided between bliss or jade for eastern carribean in dec of this year or janurary of next.

Badgeaz

Badgeaz,

Have a look at the Breakaway out of New Orleans in January 19. Great ship, good itinerary, 2- 11 day and 1-10 day cruises.