Cai Lan-Halong Bay, Vietnam - Ideas?

starskyfan

I'm trying to research this port and frankly not coming up with too much information, especially on cruise critic. Apparently it's quite a distance to Hanoi so I'm not sure if that is feasible with a 10am to 8pm timeframe. Our excursions aren't open yet so I can't even see if Princess will offer this option but I am curious. Other tours I have seen seem to start at 7am.

Other than Hanoi, it looks like a cruise around Halong Bay is the thing to do. Does anyone have any experience with this or any other suggestions for this port?

Also any private tour company recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Brenda

We are sailing into Halong Bay next month on a Celebrity Cruise. We were happy to see that we'll be in port there overnight because it is a 3-4 hr drive into Hanoi. In addition to the long distance to Hanoi, Halong Bay is a tender port which will also cut into your time ashore.

I heard from a previous cruiser that her ship came in at 7am and although they had Elite status and were able to get on an early tender, it was still after 8am before they were on the pier. We booked a transfer into Hanoi using Hanoi Transfer Service which is #1 on TripAdvisor but with your short time in port it really wouldn't make sense to waste your whole day driving. From what I'm seeing on our Roll Call, many cruisers are opting for the Halong Bay cruises, which are supposed to be beautiful.

I'm trying to research this port and frankly not coming up with too much information, especially on cruise critic. Apparently it's quite a distance to Hanoi so I'm not sure if that is feasible with a 10am to 8pm timeframe. Our excursions aren't open yet so I can't even see if Princess will offer this option but I am curious. Other tours I have seen seem to start at 7am.

Other than Hanoi, it looks like a cruise around Halong Bay is the thing to do. Does anyone have any experience with this or any other suggestions for this port?

Also any private tour company recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Brenda

We were at Halong Bay for 1.1/2 days. It is difficult to research this port, as most people do a cruise on Halong Bay or take the long bus trip to Hanoi.

To compound matters, it was difficult to ascertain where the tender landing was going to be.

Seems there are two. Our tenders landed opposite the old ferry station and there were plenty of taxis available. We spent an enjoyable half day just walking along the scenic waterfront, past fishing boats, people setting up tiny places to eat, in the evening, etc. It would be easy to get a taxi back to the ship, as they offer rides as they drive past. (Meter taxis are available at all places. Cost is 10,000 vnd/01klm, from notes, as we walked.)

The second day we did an inexpensive Halong Bay tour, with a small group.

These are from my notes prior to the cruise, which might help you in your research.

Cai Lan Port (industrial)

Bai Chay Tourist Wharf, from where tickets can be bought inside at ticket counters for Halong Bay tours. The popular route is #1, which goes to Cat Ba (ignore touts outside)

Bai Chay is connected to Ho Gai by a big bridge. Some ships provide shuttles, which cross the bridge

Qung Ninh Museum Tran Quoc Nghien, Hong Hai

walkway from Viacom Plaza to Museum is beautiful with Halong Bay sea view.

The Long Ties Pagoda close to market

Thank you both. I totally forgot it was a tender port. And 3-4 hours on a bus is definitely out of the question.

MMDown Under, thanks for the extra notes. That gives me something to work with. I'll be happy to do a cruise but also like to get out and explore on foot.

I appreciate the input.

Brenda