Best option from POM to Orlando? Rent car or shuttle transportation?

just peggy

We will have a few days extra to relax in FL before returning home after our cruise. Cruise ends in Miami, return flight is out of Orlando. Car rentals seem to have reasonable day rates, but seem to have expensive drop rates included in rental fare. Is there a better option to get from Miami to Orlando? And has anyone heard of Sixt rental car in Florida? They are offering a very reasonable rental rate for 3 days, but I know nothing about them and their reliability. And Sixt would require picking up car at the MIA which would mean transporting from POM to MIA before picking up car. Need suggestions, please?

Sixt is a discount car rental operation - older cars, lots of fees, high pressure to buy insurance - I'm not fond of them. :(

Taxi from POM to MIA will be $27+ tip -- UberX (good for 2-3 with normal bags) will be about $17. National, Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise offer a free shuttle between POM and their MIA airport location. Avis, Budget and Hertz have downtown locations close to POM and usually offer a shuttle - but they are sometime overwhelmed with cruise customers resulting in long waits. :mad:

Use your favorite travel web site to compare rates across agencies - I like www dot carrentals dot com Car prices will fluctuate as much or more than air fare, so book something you can live with and keep shopping. Usually no drop fee for one-way rentals within FLA, but you may not qualify for the lowest rate.

The WDW boards - all ears, etc. - sometime post FLA discount codes. I would also check with AAA, Costco, and any corporate rate you may qualify for. Before renting check with your auto insurer - you can likely skip the overpriced insurance and collision damage waiver and rely on the coverage you are already paying for.

Good luck and welcome to the boards! :D

I used Sixt once out of ATL. Other than there not being enough people to check people in and a very long wait I was happy with them. Never was pressured to buy anything and Sixt tends to have much nicer cars than the usual rental fleet. You can get Mercedes, Volvo or BMW for the price of a Ford Fusion at the bigger rental chains.

Driving is by far the best way IMO. At least until the brightline train is ready and goes to Orlando from Miami, which will be in another two years.

Its an easy drive and if done without stops can be done it around 3.5hours. There are bus services too that would take a little longer. Flying is possible from MIA and FLL and sometimes at a pretty low rate. But, for the amount of time to check in and all, the time savings is not much to none depending on what time the flight leaves. Its about a 35-min flight.