Any cell phone advice?

cancruiseforever

Does Verizon work in Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta etc? Trying to keep in touch with the kids. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I just called Verizon a couple of days ago to ask the same question. Their response was that it should work in those cities, however, there is no guarantee as coverage can be spotty.

Charges depend on the type of plan you have. I was informed that with our free nation-wide long distance plan, we would be charged only for roaming at $.69 per minute, but no long distance. The Verizon rep. told me they didn't think their customers should have to pay both roaming and long distance. He said if someone from home called us on our phone, they would not incur any long-distance charges, but we would pay roaming for receiving the call. If my DH and I call each other in PV on our cell phones, each phone would pay the roaming.

If I were you, I would call Verizon directly and ask specifically about your plan. (I'm planning on calling them again, and seeing if a different rep gives me the same info.)

Have fun on your cruise!

Outside of the US, GSM is the preferred cellular service. If your provider uses GSM, then the next step is to determine which frequency (band) they use. A quad band phone should cover all options. You need to determine if your provider has coverage (band) wherever you plan to be and then if your phone allows you to acces that band. For example, I use Cingular as a provider. In Puerto Rico and St Thomas they provide service using 850/900 mhz band. My normal phone provides that coverage. In Isla Marguerita, Grenade, and Aruba they provide coverage but I need to have a phone that covers 900 MHZ, but if I do I have phone service., You need to be aware of which band your provider provides service based on where you are.

Does Verizon work in Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta etc? Trying to keep in touch with the kids. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

CALL VERIZON AND ASK SOME OF THE ISLANDS ARE VARY EXPENSAVE TO USE YOUR CELL PHONE

WE LEAVE IN A FEW WEEKS AND THE ONLY PLACE VERIZON IS GOOD AT NO EXTRA CHARGE IS SAN JUAN

IF YOU WONT TO STAY IN TOUCH WITH OTHERS IN YOUR PARTY ON THE SHIP CET A PAIR OF WALKY TALKIES

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

I just did that itinerary and called Verizon to have them activate the dialing capability from Mexico. No problem at all with reception. It did cost .69/minute, but so what?

The key is to find out what code to dial as you are dialing OUT of Mexico. I do not recall what it is but Verizon should be able to tell you.

AS the above poster stated, definitely call Verizon and ask them the code.

We have Verizon, and the phones worked, we could get incoming calls, but neglected to call Verizon and whenever we tried to call out, we received information in Spanish and couldn't figure out what to do.

I kept trying, hoping to catch a hint of habla inglese something dos to tell me I could get instructions in English, but nothing.

Since then, we usually don't even bother anymore, but set up new e-mail identities just for cruising. This helps us keep in touch with those back home, but we don't spend a lot of time on the computer going through e-mails we can read when we are back home.

Hi..I get the MCI phone card from Costco and used it this past November from Mexico and from Europe in June. I called them and got the country codes to use and also the phone service/booth I was to look for..no problems and cost a minimal amount and still have minutes to use on it. Many who had cell phones, even with the digital electronics, could not get a clear line. Good Luck and have a fun cruise

I know this doesn't answer YOUR question, but this past February when we docked in St Thomas, I walked out to our balcony and got reception (Verizon) right away. Didn't see any extra charges on my statement.

Pat in Minnesota

St Thomas and San Juan are considered part of the US calling area.

Archived