Celebrity Equinox chater

whenisthenextone

Thanks for that, however the "official"?? reply from Celebrity was, it was chartered, but when you phone them it's for on board maintenance. The reason I ask this is I find it extremely unfair that they can just cancel cruises on a whim without any consideration to its customers. As in our case it was extremely difficult and costly to make changes to our itinerary. Knowing can or cannot make me feel better?

Thanks for that, however the "official"?? reply from Celebrity was, it was chartered, but when you phone them it's for on board maintenance. The reason I ask this is I find it extremely unfair that they can just cancel cruises on a whim without any consideration to its customers. As in our case it was extremely difficult and costly to make changes to our itinerary. Knowing can or cannot make me feel better?

As stated previously, all cruise lines do this. It usually happens more than a year in advance, though. It costs more to do it later than that. Aren't they giving you compensation for having to make changes?

Yes, but at this point in time it is a two-way street. Customers can book and cancel their cruise without any cost or consideration to the cruise line as well.

Yes they are compensating us with $200.00 room credit. Some might say that is adequate but don't forget you will have to buy something on board and they will be getting some, if not a lot back. A couple of years back whilst on the Freedom of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) they had to remove the main propeller resulting in not making the destinations booked but were substituted to different ports (Celebrity just cancelled outright) and we received an extra $400.00 refundable room credit and 25% of the cruise cost when we booked another cruise. Excellent. I'm sorry to be ungrateful but $200.00 seems a bit mean.

Yes they are compensating us with $200.00 room credit. Some might say that is adequate but don't forget you will have to buy something on board and they will be getting some, if not a lot back. A couple of years back whilst on the Freedom of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) they had to remove the main propeller resulting in not making the destinations booked but were substituted to different ports (Celebrity just cancelled outright) and we received an extra $400.00 refundable room credit and 25% of the cruise cost when we booked another cruise. Excellent. I'm sorry to be ungrateful but $200.00 seems a bit mean.

When our cruise was cancelled for a charter a couple of years ago, there were people on the roll call that knew what group had chartered the ship. I don't know where these fellow passengers get their info but they do ... it's surprisingly accurate most of the times, too!!

Anyway, when our cruise was canceled, it was also done in a rather timely manner ... just a little less than a year ahead of the sail date so airfare hadn't come into play. We actually chose one of the alternate sailings that was offered to us and we were able to keep all the perks that we were offered on our original sailing, plus the additional $200 obc, which was awesome. We had such a great time on our new sailing, we were actually glad the original sailing was chartered. That opinion was certainly not shared by others on that original roll call ... many stated that they were so infuriated, they wouldn't sail on Celebrity again. I can't say I really blame them. But, we were one of the very few from that roll call that decided to take Celebrity up on their offer and they were so good to us on the ship when we did sail, especially with the extras involved for the switch.

Just to put things into perspective, early last year, I booked a cruise on NCL for this coming Sept. Late last year, the called me to tell me they canceled this cruise and redeployed the ship from Alaska to a sailing to include Cuba. They offered me $25 to switch. Yikes ... now, that was pretty stingy if you ask me. Alaska to the Caribbean and they were offering me $25 for the cabin ... not even per person. I wasn't mad but kind of insulted. I ended up booking on another line and ended up with a much better deal so that one worked out as well. Hopefully, you can also find something that fits into your plans.