Non-swimming excursions NCL Gem - Orlando/Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau

katiemylady

Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I will be crusing in April on the NCL Gem. We are looking to book probably one excursion while on one of the islands. One problem - my boyfriend cannot swim. So, snorkeling is out of the picture, unfortumately.

I'm looking for tips or thoughts for other alternatives if anyone has been to the same ports! Here's what I saw on the cruise website, but unsure if there are other excursions we should think about, as this is new for both of us (neither of us have been on a cruise since childhood). Has anyone been on the following excursions and did you enjoy them if so? And if not, any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!!

Glass-Botton boat - Nassau

Paradise Island and Sightseeing - Nassau

Kayaking at Manatee Cave - Port Canaveral

Airboat Adventure and Alligator Jungle - Port Canaveral

Discover Atlantis - Nassau

Kayak Tour - Great Stirrup Cay

Dolphin Encounter, Beach Day & Snorkel (will probably not do the snorkel portion) - Nassau

Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I will be crusing in April on the NCL Gem. We are looking to book probably one excursion while on one of the islands. One problem - my boyfriend cannot swim. So, snorkeling is out of the picture, unfortumately.

I'm looking for tips or thoughts for other alternatives if anyone has been to the same ports! Here's what I saw on the cruise website, but unsure if there are other excursions we should think about, as this is new for both of us (neither of us have been on a cruise since childhood). Has anyone been on the following excursions and did you enjoy them if so? And if not, any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!!

Dolphin Encounter, Beach Day & Snorkel (will probably not do the snorkel portion) - Nassau

I'm not the best swimmer. We've done this itinerary many times. In the past we've stayed on the boat in Port Canaveral, this time we might try Kennedy Space Center. In GSC, we usually hang on the beach or rent a jet ski. In Nassau there are plenty of hotels where you can buy day passes. We've done the British Colonial Hilton in the past, might try the water slides at Atlantis this time.

The Florida Beer Company tour in Port Canaveral. We did it last year on Breakaway. $35 got you bus transportation to/from the brewery, a tour, a (conveniently pre-wrapped) pint glass, and 5 free samples. Booked it through NCL. Not sure what time Gem docks in PC, but when Breakaway was there we didn't arrive until 1pm, and with the short time there it was a fun way to get off the ship without dropping too much money on excursions we were sort of "eh" about.

The Florida Beer Company tour in Port Canaveral. We did it last year on Breakaway. $35 got you bus transportation to/from the brewery, a tour, a (conveniently pre-wrapped) pint glass, and 5 free samples. Booked it through NCL. Not sure what time Gem docks in PC, but when Breakaway was there we didn't arrive until 1pm, and with the short time there it was a fun way to get off the ship without dropping too much money on excursions we were sort of "eh" about.

That sounds right up our alley! We will have to give NCL a call to book. Thank you!

My friend and I did the glass bottom boat in Nassau, which was OK. Afterward we did a horse and buggy ride around the port. That was interesting too.

You would be wise to go to the specific port of call boards on Cruise Critic and ask your questions there. Like any questions on Nassau or Atlantis, the Bahamas board is the perfect place for those questions and there are many people who are more than happy to help you out.

We do not beach either so we also look for alternative things to do when we travel to the Caribbean. From Port Canaveral, getting to any of the main attractions there is a nightmare and very expensive. In Nassau, we went to the Pirate Museum once and visited the Zoo at another time. Both were pretty good. There are also several decent tours that will show you around for a relatively cheap price. Stay clear of the Straw Market as it is a made in China souvenir area. Also, several good walking tours in Nassau. again, check the individual port of call sites on CC.

Cheers

Len

Curious, there doesn't seem to be a forum board for FL/Orlando/Port Canaveral. I see Nassau and Private Islands. but not florida....any suggestions?
Go to East Coast Departures and then click on the Florida Departures. You can post questions on there. That's what I did for our stop in Miami

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

You would be wise to go to the specific port of call boards on Cruise Critic and ask your questions there. Like any questions on Nassau or Atlantis, the Bahamas board is the perfect place for those questions and there are many people who are more than happy to help you out.

We do not beach either so we also look for alternative things to do when we travel to the Caribbean. From Port Canaveral, getting to any of the main attractions there is a nightmare and very expensive. In Nassau, we went to the Pirate Museum once and visited the Zoo at another time. Both were pretty good. There are also several decent tours that will show you around for a relatively cheap price. Stay clear of the Straw Market as it is a made in China souvenir area. Also, several good walking tours in Nassau. again, check the individual port of call sites on CC.

Cheers

Len

Thanks Len! That is a great idea. I am new to the boards, so still trying to feel my way around. I will check the port of call specific boards!

Thanks Len! That is a great idea. I am new to the boards, so still trying to feel my way around. I will check the port of call specific boards!

You are most welcome. We will be in the Bahamas next week on an RCI cruise and we still go to the Bahamas port of call boards, always with new questions on what's going on and other things to do. Just a wealth of info.

Cheers

Len