Port Change for Insignia 6/14/06 sailing

scooter72

FYI. I just noticed on the Oceania web site that on the Insignia 6/14/06 sailing, the port of Holyhead, Wales, was eliminated and Southampton was added. Just thought you should know in case you were planning to visit friends or relatives in Wales during the cruise.

Tom

jnh,

I did not ask about it. I assume they will notify us before the sailing but from previous posts, that might be a big assumption.

I just wonder why they picked Southampton as the alternate. I did notice that one of the excursions listed for Southampton is a tour of London. If you took that tour, basically you would be driving to London, return to the ship, and then sail back to Dover (London). That doesn't seem to pass the "stupid test".

Well, we'll see!

I am not suggesting this is the reason for bypassing Holyhead. I really don't know the reason. But, a couple of years ago we were on the London-London itinerary around the U.K. and were unable to dock at Holyhead because of the weather. It wasn't a bad day. In fact, I recall having a lovely day "at sea", but it is a tender port and when they tested the tenders, they banged up against the ship so the Captain made the descision that it was unsafe to ferry the passengers back and forth.

A year later, two of our fellow passengers were on an almost identical itenerary on Princess and, guess what? They couldn't dock at Holyhead . . . again. So, when that occurs, the passengers are disappointed and the ship loses excursion revenue.

Just my thoughts.

Marilyn

Thanks for the itinerary change notice. Not very happy on this.

We pick itineraries and then search for a quality line. We have just completed two cruises with Oceania and have booked three more. Of these, one has been cancelled, second may not go and now this change. We have planned for Wales and visited Southampton on our first Oceania cruise.

How can one count on these bookings with so many changes and cancellations being made. This is a classy small line but who is making all these decisions which upset the paying clients?

There are other options.

Archived