Cape Town to Singapore

Chairsin

As Chairsin mentioned, Male city is a bustling cacophony of cultures, sights and smells. We opted for the Paradise island resort excursion as a diversion. . Though not a five star resort, Paradise still had a nice tropical beach and the included lunch was decent. It was fun to snorkel, ride wave riders and partake in beach activities as a change of pace. The Maldives are beautiful from the atoll island perspective.

Aftwards we visited the fish and vegetable markets in town. It must be Mango season, they were everywhere!

Lastly our guest Indian chef had a special menu in The Restaurant last night, it like the Indian Market night buffet a few nights back was wonderful. The food was fresh and flavorful and not standard Indian restaurant fare, which was refreshing.

Another sea day before Colombo!

Once more at sea after an interesting visit to Male. There seems to be two Maldives. The world of the island resorts and Male itself. Bustling, busy, crowded, hot and intensely humid, Male was worth visiting but not for too long. We walked around a bit, saw the markets and experienced the atmosphere in the streets.

In the afternoon, we stayed on board and I spent a couple of hours on-deck with my binoculars and cameras enjoying the constant boat traffic complemented by periodic comings and going from the airport.

The Indian dinner, as others have said, was outstanding. We stared with the chicken appetizer which was as good as anything I have had in any Indian restaurant. The fish was also good though I preferred the chicken. At the suggestion of our waiter, Roberto, we also shared the vegetarian option which was based around a cottage cheese. I'm glad we did because it was excellent.

A few photos from Male:

The vegetable market

86SZ4a.jpg

The fish market

MLWUL5.jpg

A couple of views of Male

UHhAJa.jpg

nL5NRs.jpg

Though not a five star resort, Paradise Island Resort still had a nice tropical beach and the included lunch was decent. It was fun to snorkel, ride wave riders and partake in beach activities as a change of pace. The Maldives are beautiful from the atoll island perspective!

Was this a Seabourn excursion or private? Also, what were the costs? I assume it was for a day pass? Thanks!

Was this a Seabourn excursion or private? Also, what were the costs? I assume it was for a day pass? Thanks!

Were there any Seabourn excursions available to 5 star Maldives resorts? I have been to a few and they are simply gorgeous. I would love to make a return visit next year when I cruise this itinerary, even if it is just for a day!

Personally I really dislike day passes to hotels - and I mean I dislike them from both sides. If I'm a cruise passenger then I feel I'm invading someone's space. If I'm a guest I really resent the invasion.

Our group of 5 secured a day pass at the Maldives Banyan Tree property.It is a 48 villa resort that was truly 5 star and refined. And peaceful and quiet. The kind of place that would establish strict limits on day trippers.

We had a terrific buffet and 3 cabanas beach front. We paid $50 per person LESS than the Seabourn crowd and our price included our drinks, and we had 3 hours more time at the resort. Whereas Paradise, when we were there 4 years ago, was more 4 star at best.

It pays to evaluate alternatives.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Thanks Markham and Chairsin! This was one of the ports I was concerned about. It seems you either go off to a resort or muddle around town, with no other choices in between.

Our group of 5 secured a day pass at the Maldives Banyan Tree property.It is a 48 villa resort that was truly 5 star and refined. And peaceful and quiet. The kind of place that would establish strict limits on day trippers.

We had a terrific buffet and 3 cabanas beach front. We paid $50 per person LESS than the Seabourn crowd and our price included our drinks, and we had 3 hours more time at the resort. Whereas Paradise, when we were there 4 years ago, was more 4 star at best.

How did you get to the island? Did you have to get to the airport to obtain a speedboat transfer?

Hi Kirby,

I'm not markham but I know he did the same thing we did in 2015. The island resort (Kurumba resort for us) gave you the option of paying extra for them to send their boats. Which was a hefty charge but as markham said between 4 or 5 people still worth it for the experience.

The boat we were sent was a gorgeous two level power boat, very nice.

A cautionary tale......we had a party of four and they sent a boat for our party and another boat for another party of four, they only allowed eight day visitors. As we got to where our boat was docked we saw a well dressed couple hop on board ahead of us. They were downstairs while we stayed upstairs to enjoy the view for the 15 minute ride. At the island the couple quickly hopped of the boat and walked away......which made me think they were hotel guests.

Well no, the Manager greeted me and asked about the other couple who I assured her were not with our group. She was a bit sceptical initially but we convinced her. We told her, I don't know how they were getting back but it wasn't to be on our boat.

We did see them back onboard Seabourn later.

So if you organise a boat check to see if it will only be for your party and don't allow any interlopers to board.

Julie

quXRAQ.jpg

5e7OSa.jpg

Tl91tA.jpg

BHs4eB.jpg

Oh my, in one of those photos, I think I recognize, a gentleman that we met on our last Seabourn cruise. Nice guy! I’m sure he would not be thrilled to have his shirtless photo broadcast to everyone over the internet [emoji853]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh my, in one of those photos, I think I recognize, a gentleman that we met on our last Seabourn cruise. Nice guy! I’m sure he would not be thrilled to have his shirtless photo broadcast to everyone over the internet [emoji853]

I would not have noticed him if you hadn't mentioned it. Your post made me take another look. He was obviously happy enough to appear in public like that (as he should be).

Edited by Laylam
grammar - still not sure I have it correct!!

Yesterday we arrived in Colombo Sri Lanka after three more sea days. A group of about 20 of us hopped onto a bus in the morning with the chef and were taken for a half hour drive to the “new” fish market outside of town. While we were a bit late to see this vast market in full swing there was enough selection to satisfy the chef. He purchased a number of tuna, some mackerel, crabs and jumbo prawns. From there we drove back into traffic congested Colombo to visit the colorful fruit and veg market. Since three big containers of provisions arrived at the ship yesterday the chef did not need to make a large purchase of produce but he did pick up a huge bundle of rhubarb, some orange lentils, bags of green chiles and some fragrant spices.

Late in the afternoon we were treated to a performance of local dancers who performed to much acclaim in the Grand Salon. We have been told we will be treated to more local dancing when we arrive in Myanmar. I think this is a wonderful way for a Seabourn to help passengers connect to some of these more exotic ports of call and expose us to some local culture.

Today we arrived in Hambantota. Some may recall this is a substitute port as originally we were to have visited Galle. I know there was originally some grousing about this substitution but I personally found it to be a better option. I had arranged in advance for a local tour guide to take us in his open sided safari vehicle to the nearby UNESCO Bundala Bird Sanctuary - large park famous for the over 100 special of migratory and resident birds attracted to the vast wetlands. We were not only treated to a litany of bird sightings, including some extremely rare ones, but we also encountered a mongoose, a couple of crocodiles, a turtle, numerous monkeys, a small deer and monitor lizards. As it was a private tour we could spend as little or as much time in each area according to our interests. And unlike the Seabourn tour which also went there at 1PM we departed right after docking and thus arrived at the park before it was too hot and while the animals were still active. All in all a very special day - even if my bottom has yet to recover from riding on the parks deeply rutted dirt roads .

Tomorrow we start another batch of sea days before we reach Myanmar.

Assuming he would not be, am somewhat confused as to how your re-posting would make him feel any better about it?:evilsmile::evilsmile:

Yesterday was Colombo. We took a tour to a local tea plantation which was very interesting. We saw tea bushes, tea being picked, tea being processed and even bought a pack of tea for the princely sum of $3. Equally interesting was the drive there and back which was a good introduction to the sights and sounds of Colombo.

Today was Hambantota and a tour to the Yala National Park. Once at the park we decanted into jeeps with just 6 people in each. We saw elephants, buffalo, crocodiles, mongoose, peacocks, wild boar, monitor lizard, monkeys, various birds and deer. Sadly we did not see any leopards. Having left the park a little late, we 'enjoyed' a hair raising bus ride at breakneck speeds to get back to the ship. I wanted to count the number of cyclists impaled on the front of the buses but there was no time as Sojourn had to leave. The tour being an official Seabourn one, the ship waited for us.

Photos to follow.

Sri Lanka is one of our favourite places in the world. Happy to see that some of you have also enjoyed the splendid isle.

Some time ago there was talk of a new range of turndown chocolates to be introduced around now. Any sign of these or further rumours?

Assuming he would not be, am somewhat confused as to how your re-posting would make him feel any better about it?:evilsmile::evilsmile:

Yes, I do agree. I thought I replied without re-posting the picture so that was my mistake. But the photo has already been posted so it was already out there...just scroll up.

However, my point is that one should have some degree of privacy and others should not have the right to take photos of you and post them online without your permission. I don’t think of Seabourn as a general public space but if this is the case, then I will look out for this in the future while onboard.

We enjoyed the two stops in Sri Lanka a lot. The first day in Colombo we hired a car and driver. The highlight for us was the Pettah market and the Kelanyi Raja Maha Buddhist temple. We had lunch at the always dependable Shangri La hotel buffet which was a nice respit from the heat and humidity of Colombo. We were one of those that were apprehensive about the port change from Galle to Hambantota, that being said, it turned out ok. We opted for a ship tour to Udawalawe Park. The safari style tour took us thru the park where we viewed similar wildlife to those that visited Yala. The best part of our tour was a visit to an elephant rehabilitation and transition camp. We watched the orphan baby elephants get fed and cared for before being transitioned back to a herd in the park.

Three sea days until Myanmar!

Here are a couple of photos from the tea plantation. One is of the factory courtyard while the other is of two of the ladies who actually pick the leaves. We were told that their quota is 20 kilos of leaves a day.

XBAqYi.jpg

lSVDLP.jpg