Feb. 9, 2018: Another U.S. Security Council Warning about Nassau

Pstreet12

Feb. 9, 2018: Yet another U.S. Oversees Security Advisory Council warning about crime in Nassau.

https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=23488

Obviously, these incidents don't happen to everyone, and no one "has anything happen"--until it does, but it's worth being aware of your surroundings at all times.

Nonsense; there is not a thing wrong with Nassau - been going for 30 plus years. How about a warning about travel to Chicago - 664 murders in 2017...

Violent crime rate in Nassau is on par with Baltimore and well below Chicago's. Just look it up.

One difference is that tourists are, in fact, a target in Nassau. When we see warnings about other port stops, for example, Mexico, tourists are not the targets. In Nassau, they are.

As I said, obviously, nothing happens to 99.99% of the tourists; however, if you know you are part of the target group, it's worth keeping your awareness level on alert.

This section of the warning seems to me to have particular relevance for cruisers:

The water sports rental industry is only loosely regulated and there have been reported sexual assaults of U.S. citizens, including minors, by jet-ski operators. The majority of these sexual assaults were reported to have occurred on relatively “safe” beaches on Paradise Island, which is heavily frequented by tourists and Embassy personnel. Embassy Nassau placed the use of jet-skis operated by local nationals in New Providence off-limits to all Chief of Mission personnel in 2015.

One difference is that tourists are, in fact, a target in Nassau. When we see warnings about other port stops, for example, Mexico, tourists are not the targets. In Nassau, they are.

As I said, obviously, nothing happens to 99.99% of the tourists; however, if you know you are part of the target group, it's worth keeping your awareness level on alert.

I don't know how true this is. I just got off the Splendor, which went to Mazatlan. Carnival had a warning on their fun times advising cruisers that tourists were indeed targets there. I know that for both Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, they had multiple warnings to guests advising them to avoid taking large amounts of cash or jewelry with them. I've sailed with Carnival multiple times to know that these types of warnings are not typical for Carnival.

Not a fan of Nassau and haven't been for years. We just stay on the ship and enjoy the day on board. Several years ago we had a taxi driver drop us off BLOCKS from the port area. It was getting dark and we felt like we might be being set up. It was the last time we did anything in Nassau. Shortly after that trip there were reported rapes and sexual assaults at Señor Frogs. Crime just seems to be getting worse instead of better.

I have been there about 8x in the past 4 years....day and nighttime while docked. Always walk to Junkanoo beach, Fishfry.....around the shops downtown.....visited Club Bambu one time when we were docked overnight..no issues at all, no scares, no need to feel uncomfortable.

if you feel uncomfortable walking down the street in Nassau, you need to travel more. I can assure you my experiences in Jamaica have been much worse!

I have been there about 8x in the past 4 years....day and nighttime while docked. Always walk to Junkanoo beach, Fishfry.....around the shops downtown.....visited Club Bambu one time when we were docked overnight..no issues at all, no scares, no need to feel uncomfortable.

if you feel uncomfortable walking down the street in Nassau, you need to travel more. I can assure you my experiences in Jamaica have been much worse!

I agree, many places/cities/ports are far more dangerous.

Travel warnings for Nassau have been around for years and years. Blah, blah, blah. We were just there a couple of weeks ago for the third time in a couple of years and its just fine as it always has been. Walked all over the area including to Queen's Staircase/Fort Fincastle, all through the shopping district and out toward Junkanoo Beach and its fine. Sorry if locals speaking to tourists bothers some people. By all means, stay on the ship. Don't experience the places you go. Let one negative lead you to think a place is all bad.

They either need to travel more or maybe just stay home.

I didn't feel at risk walking around the town. At the same time, it wasn't much fun and had little appeal.

It's worth getting off the ship to stretch your legs and explore the market stalls in the secure port area. Perhaps briefly visit the shops in town to pick up some rum cake and fridge magnets. It's not a destination I would plan to do more than that.

I didn't feel at risk walking around the town. At the same time, it wasn't much fun and had little appeal.

It's worth getting off the ship to stretch your legs and explore the market stalls in the secure port area. Perhaps briefly visit the shops in town to pick up some rum cake and fridge magnets. It's not a destination I would plan to do more than that.

We love it! Been to Atlantis twice, plus the Melia, RIU, and the Hilton. With the exception of the Hilton, the beaches were gorgeous! Had such a great time with the kids.