We have the flu--have to cancel our cruise!

We were supposed to sail on Anthem on Saturday for our long awaited first cruise, and 3 of the 4 of us have the flu! We are heartbroken. Thank god we have travel insurance. So I have a question for all you experienced cruisers out there. We want to try to take a cruise on our spring break, which is the first week of April, to make up for missing our Anthem cruise. The options are few at this late date, but never having cruised before, I don't know anything about the different cruise lines. I thought maybe some of you could give an opinion on the ships we are looking at. My hubby and I have two kids, ages 13 and 11. The available cruises for that week are all Caribbean itineraries: Regal Princess, Celebrity Silhouette, Norwegian Getaway, Carnival Vista, Oasis of the Seas. Most of the itineraries are similar. Most are around the same price. The only difference is on Oasis, we'd only have the option of a guaranteed balcony, so we'd have no choice of the location. Thank you for any input and opinions!

I would go on the Oasis, wonderful ship.

My choice would definitely be celebrity silouette.. You'd also get free beverage package for the first two adults, $300 ship board credit and depending on who you booked thru'prepaid gratutuies.. plus it's a beautiful ship and wonderful food!!

I agree...Oasis, hands down! I have sailed Carnival twice (never again!), NCL, Celebrity and Oasis. The kids will have a ball on Oasis. No other cruise line compares to what Royal offers in the form of entertainment. You aren't in your room all that much and I would put the least emphasis on room category. We have stayed in inside, oceanview, promenade and balcony cabins. We had a good time regardless of room category. If you book Oasis, make sure and pre-book your show tickets on-line so you get to see everything. Sometimes they overlap with dinner hours, other shows, etc. I had to make out a mock schedule to put it all together. All the shows are fantastic....water shows, ice show, production show, etc.

OP, also check out the kids' amenities on the Vista before you commit.

They have a ropes course, the Sky-cycle ride, two pretty awesome slides, a good kids' splash zone (Waterworks), and "the Clubhouse" (with kids' bowling and a "soccer pool table"). And of course the usual kids' program areas defined by age.

It's probably too late, but they might have Family Harbor staterooms available.

• 1 month later...
So sorry this is happening. Happy that you have insurance, however, I would double check your policy as to what they require as proof. I am thinking confirmed lab tests, etc. otherwise people can easily cancel and say "I had the flu". Flu is subjective, not like a broken leg, if you understand what I am saying.

It also may take a few weeks to get reimbursement. If you plan to cruise again in April you may have to pay up front for that cruise.

With the ages of your kids I would try for the Oasis or similar RC ship.

Actually, the flu is not really "subjective." For insurance purposes, as the OP mentioned, their doctor has to fill out forms and I'm sure he or she tested them. There is a rapid flu test that will tell you whether or not you have the flu, and what type (A or B).

To the OP, I want to thank you for not trying to "smuggle" your sick family onto the ship. I'm sure you are all so disappointed, but I'm sure there are people out there who would ignore the recommendation not to board a ship while sick and then they risk transmitting their illness to others onboard.

I'm glad you have other options for spring break.