We have the flu--have to cancel our cruise!

We were supposed to sail on Anthem on Saturday for our long awaited first cruise, and 3 of the 4 of us have the flu! We are heartbroken. Thank god we have travel insurance. So I have a question for all you experienced cruisers out there. We want to try to take a cruise on our spring break, which is the first week of April, to make up for missing our Anthem cruise. The options are few at this late date, but never having cruised before, I don't know anything about the different cruise lines. I thought maybe some of you could give an opinion on the ships we are looking at. My hubby and I have two kids, ages 13 and 11. The available cruises for that week are all Caribbean itineraries: Regal Princess, Celebrity Silhouette, Norwegian Getaway, Carnival Vista, Oasis of the Seas. Most of the itineraries are similar. Most are around the same price. The only difference is on Oasis, we'd only have the option of a guaranteed balcony, so we'd have no choice of the location. Thank you for any input and opinions!

Aww I’m so sorry but April is not far away. Hope you feel better soon. My vote is for celebrity or Rccl.

I do need to ask you how the 4th person will handle their refund from insurance if not sick. I often think about this when buying insurance when we cruise. If the reason doesn’t affect both of us how is it handled. Thankfully, we haven’t had to use any insurance but certainly wonder what the process would be and result. Thanks!

Aww I’m so sorry but April is not far away. Hope you feel better soon. My vote is for celebrity or Rccl.

I do need to ask you how the 4th person will handle their refund from insurance if not sick. I often think about this when buying insurance when we cruise. If the reason doesn’t affect both of us how is it handled. Thankfully, we haven’t had to use any insurance but certainly wonder what the process would be and result. Thanks!

Our insurance covers us if our travel companion has to cancel for a covered reason.

I can’t imagine how disappointed you all must be, but look at it this way: at the end of next week when you’re vacation would be over, you still have your cruise to look forward to. I can’t help you with a comparison because I’ve only been on RCCL, but I don’t think you would be disappointed with Oasis, especially with kids. There’s so much to do. Hope you feel better soon.

So sorry this is happening. Happy that you have insurance, however, I would double check your policy as to what they require as proof. I am thinking confirmed lab tests, etc. otherwise people can easily cancel and say "I had the flu". Flu is subjective, not like a broken leg, if you understand what I am saying.

It also may take a few weeks to get reimbursement. If you plan to cruise again in April you may have to pay up front for that cruise.

With the ages of your kids I would try for the Oasis or similar RC ship.

I can only imagine how heartbroken you all are, but I must applaud you for making the decision to not go. I am sure many would go anyways without any regard for themselves or others on the ship.

Just because I am a fan of Royal, I would say Oasis. But have thought about trying NCL before too. With kids, I would shy away from Celebrity.

Hope you enjoy your 1st cruise...whenever it happens!

Our insurance covers us if our travel companion has to cancel for a covered reason.

If OP's insurance doesn't cover "immediate family member" traveling companions for "covered reason" cancellation of cruise, MD note that adult must care for sick child should work. Child can't travel without the sick adults should also work.

However, non-immediate family member w/o insurance may be SOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for all your input so far! We have lab tests confirming flu, and doc has already filled out the form we need to cancel. Talked to insurance provider, so we are all set with that. It's me and my two kids who have it, so we don't have any other options. The majority of opinions here seem to be favoring Oasis. Does anyone think taking a guarantee balcony is really risky? Especially for first time cruisers?

I have been on the Oasis and the Breakaway (Getaway's sister ship) and I would think those would be your best option for kids 11 and 13.

You need to ask your kids which they would rather do. On the Oasis, you have the flow rider, whirlpool pool, and other pools that kids will love. Plus I think the rock climbing walls are better and you have a zip line.

On the Getaway, you have some great water slides plus a ropes course that the kids will love. The pools on the Getaway are lacking, but that is mainly because the deck space is taken up with water slides and the ropes course.

We also find the entertainment better on Norwegian to be better for adults, although I think the Oasis will have a few more family friendly options.

As for kids clubs, our kids generally spend a little time in the kids club on boats such as Disney and Royal Caribbean, but never want to leave on Norwegian. We feel the staff does a much better job engaging the kids and they have a blast. (Our kids are a little younger though, but we think this still holds true for the older clubs if your kids choose to participate.)

Does anyone think taking a guarantee balcony is really risky? Especially for first time cruisers?

To my understanding (if you live in the United States), once your guarantee room is assigned, you can move to any available cabin within the same category by calling your travel agent and asking to be moved.

ETA: We are sailing in 16 days and I've been so paranoid about getting the flu. We have a group of 10 going and my parents and sister just got over the flu. I've made a large batch of elderberry syrup to try and keep us and the kiddos healthy.

Thank you for all your input so far! We have lab tests confirming flu, and doc has already filled out the form we need to cancel. Talked to insurance provider, so we are all set with that. It's me and my two kids who have it, so we don't have any other options. The majority of opinions here seem to be favoring Oasis. Does anyone think taking a guarantee balcony is really risky? Especially for first time cruisers?

I know you said you talked to the insurance provider and you are all set with that, but have you also called the cruise line and cancelled the cruise? I know my insurance told me if we did not cancel with the cruise line prior to the ship leaving port, we would not be covered.

I also agree that Oasis is a great choice. If you are seeing a balcony guarantee for a 4 person cabin, I would book it as soon as you can as guarantees for 4 are not that common.

I would not worry about balcony location on the Oasis. (is it an ocean view guarantee, or a neighborhood guarantee?)

I have been on the Oasis and the Breakaway (Getaway's sister ship) and I would think those would be your best option for kids 11 and 13.

You need to ask your kids which they would rather do. On the Oasis, you have the flow rider, whirlpool pool, and other pools that kids will love. Plus I think the rock climbing walls are better and you have a zip line.

On the Getaway, you have some great water slides plus a ropes course that the kids will love. The pools on the Getaway are lacking, but that is mainly because the deck space is taken up with water slides and the ropes course.

We also find the entertainment better on Norwegian to be better for adults, although I think the Oasis will have a few more family friendly options.

As for kids clubs, our kids generally spend a little time in the kids club on boats such as Disney and Royal Caribbean, but never want to leave on Norwegian. We feel the staff does a much better job engaging the kids and they have a blast. (Our kids are a little younger though, but we think this still holds true for the older clubs if your kids choose to participate.)

I think the Aqua theater show and ice skating - both show and ability to skate - are huge pluses as far as entertainment on RCCl. No other ship can compare ( unless another Oasis class ship).

I don’t know anything about kids clubs on the other lines, but on RC your kids will be in separate areas, just an FYI.

And are they OK sharing a sofa bed? Mine can’t share a bed so cabin selection is a big deal for us.

Check airfares to Florida too, they can be a killer this time of year when purchased this close to sailing. And as someone already mentioned, they have 3 different balconies on Oasis. Ocean view, boardwalk and Central Park view. The kids will love Oasis.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was just about to mention the same thing about airfare. I was booked on Regal Princess that week in April and ended up cancelling because of airfare price. It started out at $700 roundtrip when flights were first released and never dropped. I think it’s around $900 now. Hotel in Fort Lauderdale for night before sailing were a fortune also, around $300. Holiday weeks are brutal for these prices.