Which Side Of Ship

SAS21

IMO, it really doesn't matter. As mentioned you never really know how the ship is going to pull into port.

On our Explorer E. Carib. cruise we had starboard. It worked out in St. Maartin but in St. Thomas we had a great view of the Carnival ship next to us. In Puerto Rico it really didn't matter since where we docked wasn't all that picturesque. I don't recall what view we had in Nassau.

It makes no more difference than does the side of the plane you sit on. Like airports, ship ports are working ports, meaning freight, fishing as well as passenger traffic. They just are not the most attractive parts of the island, and I suspect you won't even be taking pictures of it.

Worry more about what side is convenient to what you want to do: near or away from elevators, your favorite lounge, etc. You will be doing more of this.

Finally, where the ship docks in each port varies on the day and what other ships get their first, so there is no way to predict.

When we cruised Eastern Caribbean one time.. it was raining terrible outside. The only problem is that a bunch of us were in the hot tub and we were competetively drinking ... so we decided not to go inside...gosh I can't believe that was 8 years ago...

We were the only ones on the deck to see sailing into Puerto Rico( even though it was kinda fuzzy), and finally we got a camera dude to come take our picture in the tub. He ran back inside... but we got a great view of coming into port, then we went inside to change and dry off.. by then it stopped raining.

I have an affinity for the starboard side, which has been great so far.

When I was on the NOS, we backed into St. Thomas, so I had a bay side view. In St. Maarten, we backed in, so again, I was on the bay side. Nassau, we backed in, so I was on the channel side. Nice view. San Juan, pulled straight in, so we faced another Carnival ship, :rolleyes: so that was the worst of it.

On the Enchantment, Freeport, pulled straight in, and faced the pier, which in Freeport, IS the best view, LOL. In Key West, pulled straight in, facing the pier. Nassau, backed in, so I again faced the channel.

I have starboard on both of my upcoming cruises, and watch, it'll be just the opposite now...:rolleyes:

IMO, it really doesn't matter. As mentioned you never really know how the ship is going to pull into port.

On our Explorer E. Carib. cruise we had starboard. It worked out in St. Maartin but in St. Thomas we had a great view of the Carnival ship next to us. In Puerto Rico it really didn't matter since where we docked wasn't all that picturesque. I don't recall what view we had in Nassau.

In Nassau we were docked aft end in to the pier between two other ships. Not much view there.;)

Archived