Amazing Race

jaymcc

Has anyone ever organized, or been involved in, an Amazing Race style scavenger hunt onbaord?

I’m interested in creating something for our next cruise on Explorer but just want to know if the crew have any problems with something like this? Or what challenges I might expect.

If anyone has any advice or experience please let me know.

Has anyone ever organized, or been involved in, an Amazing Race style scavenger hunt onbaord?

I’m interested in creating something for our next cruise on Explorer but just want to know if the crew have any problems with something like this? Or what challenges I might expect.

I organized one a few years ago. It was great fun. I did not include anything that required interaction or involvement of the crew. We had no issues.

I organized one a few years ago. It was great fun. I did not include anything that required interaction or involvement of the crew. We had no issues.

Would you mind sharing some of the activities you included?

We were on the Serenade of the Seas for Christmas so I incorporated the Christmas theme into the race. It was only our family so I had to set up the game so DH and I did not have to do too much running or the kids would get to the next stop before we did! If the instructions below are confusing just ask for clarification. It was great fun!

Start at stateroom and give-

Envelope # 1 - Locate dad at the shuffleboard game, score 14 points and he will give you your next clue.

Envelope # 2-Locate the scrabble board in the card room. Spell "MERRY CHRISTMAS" on the board and you will receive your next clue.

Envelope # 3-Time to grab a coffee at the Diamond Lounge and receive your next task.

Upon arrival at the D Lounge provide Envelope # 4a (which contained a sheet of paper with Christmas words that needed to be unscrambled.) After you successfully unscramble all of these words you will be given your next instructions.

Envelope 4b-Take a photo of 1) Statue of the man with an inner tube at the pool,2)Godmother of the Serenade of the Seas, 3) A slot machine then check a book out of the library to get your next clue.

Envelope # 5-Head to the Sports Deck, locate dad and he will give you your next set of instructions

Envelope # 6a- DETOUR Choice of 2 tasks: 1) Sink a hole-in-one at the Fairways of the Serenade" OR 2) Successfully sink 4 basketballs. Once you have completed one of the tasks you will be given your next clue

Envelope # 6b-Your next activity awaits you in the Schooner bar

Envelope # 7a-Time to puzzle..when you have put together the puzzles you will receive your next clue. (I made puzzles from cutting old Christmas cards into pieces and mixed them all together in one envelope.)

Envelope # 7b- Your next set of instructions can be found were you sleep

Envelope 8- Mom and Dad are waiting for you on the bridge in the solarium ...the

final pit stop of the Christmas 2015 Amazing Race!!

We were on the Serenade of the Seas for Christmas so I incorporated the Christmas theme into the race. It was only our family so I had to set up the game so DH and I did not have to do too much running or the kids would get to the next stop before we did! If the instructions below are confusing just ask for clarification. It was great fun!

Start at stateroom and give-

Envelope # 1 - Locate dad at the shuffleboard game, score 14 points and he will give you your next clue.

Envelope # 2-Locate the scrabble board in the card room. Spell "MERRY CHRISTMAS" on the board and you will receive your next clue.

Envelope # 3-Time to grab a coffee at the Diamond Lounge and receive your next task.

Upon arrival at the D Lounge provide Envelope # 4a (which contained a sheet of paper with Christmas words that needed to be unscrambled.) After you successfully unscramble all of these words you will be given your next instructions.

Envelope 4b-Take a photo of 1) Statue of the man with an inner tube at the pool,2)Godmother of the Serenade of the Seas, 3) A slot machine then check a book out of the library to get your next clue.

Envelope # 5-Head to the Sports Deck, locate dad and he will give you your next set of instructions

Envelope # 6a- DETOUR Choice of 2 tasks: 1) Sink a hole-in-one at the Fairways of the Serenade" OR 2) Successfully sink 4 basketballs. Once you have completed one of the tasks you will be given your next clue

Envelope # 6b-Your next activity awaits you in the Schooner bar

Envelope # 7a-Time to puzzle..when you have put together the puzzles you will receive your next clue. (I made puzzles from cutting old Christmas cards into pieces and mixed them all together in one envelope.)

Envelope # 7b- Your next set of instructions can be found were you sleep

Envelope 8- Mom and Dad are waiting for you on the bridge in the solarium ...the

final pit stop of the Christmas 2015 Amazing Race!!

Excellent - thanks so much for sharing.

We were on Navigator of the Seas in May 2009 and they were doing it with the cruise line and it was in the compass. Being fans of the show we signed up right away with our family of 4.

There were only around 8 teams that signed up and it was a real blast!

We had to have one (different each time) team member do things such as climb the rock wall (for a time) shoot free-throws (number completed in 30 seconds) stand up on the flowrider (for at least one minute).

Also answer many random trivia questions about the ship and the cruise line. We found out about each quest when we figured out the answer and arrived at the destination using clues. We traveled from deck 3 to deck 16 and went from bow to stern on that ship.

Then when completed, you raced to the finish line and were checked in by time.

They used a combination of when you finished as well as your performance in all the sports and questions to determine who won.

If memory serves correctly, we finished around 5th. however received the silver medal (2nd. place) overall as we had done well on the challenges.

We were running around the ship and stairs and elevators like mad folks, and apologizing profusely to the people we were continuously overwhelming because "WE ARE IN A SERIOUS RACE" !

We saw the staff member who ran the race a few years later on the Allure and asked about the competition and why we hadn't seen it on any subsequent cruises.

He told us he was trying to get it organized on the Allure, however was doubtful he would get permission because of the potential liability.

A real shame, because that was one of the best activities we ever participated in listed in the compass. :(

Hopefully this will give you some ideas about things to incorporate into your race though!

Good luck,

Steve

Edited by stevekc
grammar mistake

I have nothing against the show, we actually did the Amazing Race Cozumel excursion back in 2013 and had a tremendous time. But that was on shore. Knowing how overzealous competitive people can get I see innocent bystanders on board get in the way and possibly hurt as these teams go running around the ship. Bad idea

He told us he was trying to get it organized on the Allure, however was doubtful he would get permission because of the potential liability.

I have nothing against the show, we actually did the Amazing Race Cozumel excursion back in 2013 and had a tremendous time. But that was on shore. Knowing how overzealous competitive people can get I see innocent bystanders on board get in the way and possibly hurt as these teams go running around the ship. Bad idea

This is biggest concern - thanks to you both for your feedback. I've been trying to figure out a way to do it without the risk. I was thinking that perhaps people get timed only on task completion - rather than the time taken to get from one task to the next.

Will have a think.

This is biggest concern - thanks to you both for your feedback. I've been trying to figure out a way to do it without the risk. I was thinking that perhaps people get timed only on task completion - rather than the time taken to get from one task to the next.

Will have a think.

Now that is a good idea. Good luck.