Los Angeles to Vancouver ocean motion

shipsealand

DW & I are considering the Glacier Bay Round Trip Los Angeles on the Royal Princess in September next year. Concern is the northern travel portion which is sailing against the southernly ocean flow and wind. I know that it can vary but generally how rough is it?

We have sailed the Vancouver-LA portion of the coast three times in the past five years, and there was at least one somewhat rough night each trip; rough being somewhat subjective, mind you.

2013 we were kept an extra day in port in Vancouver, late September, due to a storm off the coast of Washington. The following night we had 3-7 m swells and it was tolerable, but not pleasant. Pools drained for ballast. Outer decks closed. Many passengers holding railings to walk down halls, crew not so much. Roughly 50 sea days, that was the only night I have ever been looking for the seasick pills.

2016 and 2017, seven and ten day round trip Vancouver-LA, September/October, one moderately bumpy and blustery night off Washington coast each trip, maybe 3m swells. Outer decks remained open.

North from Vancouver to Alaska, two September trips, calm as likely possible each time, entire trip.

DW & I are considering the Glacier Bay Round Trip Los Angeles on the Royal Princess in September next year. Concern is the northern travel portion which is sailing against the southernly ocean flow and wind. I know that it can vary but generally how rough is it?

Most times coming up swell north bound on the pacific you will experience motion whether its from Mexico to LA or LA to Vancover. The ships are so big and have stabilizers though.

I've done this route 5 times (had to look that up!) and weather varies but generally speaking, heading north is more rough than heading south as it seems you know. The worst for us has been just north of Astoria to Washington. We've had rough sailing but nothing we couldn't handle. I've had worse waves and wind in the Caribbean and in Baja California. I think the waves were about 15' the last rough time I sailed and the wind was very heavy but it only lasted for about 15 hours or so.

We've also had the seas be almost flat for most of the cruise. Another time, we had heavy fog. The fog horn was blaring for DAYS. That got old real fast especially at night! :o We had the fog horn blaring on the Regal recently but it was nowhere near as bad on the Coral/Island ships. It must be due to the ship size because we were midship every time.

We must be the outliers. We have gone from LA twice. Calm seas both times. Both were in May. One on the Sapphire and one on the Pacific Princess. We had dense fog on the Sapphire and moved very slowly with the fog horn sounding every few minutes...I don’t recall it being an annoyance. Maybe location on the ship made a difference. Other than that very pleasant trips.

Obviously it really depends on the seas. I've sailed it in September where the days were all calm but then I've had the opposite and the ship was really moving. It really is a chance you take but that is true for all cruises. Go and enjoy and whatever happens, happens. :)

This is actually the reason we have never done the round trip Alaska out of San Francisco. I know that the seas can be smooth as well as rough but we have just never been willing to take the chance. Instead, we usually opt for the southbound cruises in September when they bring the ships back down for the Mexican Riviera season. That works well for us even though we do have to fly to Vancouver.

Thanks for the inputs. We had done the Vancouver to LA which was very good seas. But it was going south bound. We have to think about the north bound being that the cruise being considered in around trip from LA to Alaska in September next year on the Royal Princess. Our travel agent had done the LA to Vancouver round trip twice in June and it was calm seas.

I wonder how are the stabilizers on the Royal vs the Ruby?