1st time cruiser----beverage package worth it?

kmae248

We are first timers as well &

We purchased the alcohol package for us, and the soda package for the kids. Now, at first a I was thinking that there is no way on gods green earth that the 4 of us would consume almost $1000 of soda & liquor in one week. But considering that kids can order slushees, shakes & smoothies in addition to 0.5 liter bottles of water it was pretty clear that the kids pack was worth it. Looking at the prices of drinks ($10-15) I think the drink package will pay for itself. It’s also allowing me to have wine with my dinners while my husband might prefer a mixed drink or beer. I also plan on taking advantage of the 20% discount on wines purchased on ship, if I see anything that I want.

Just a note that the soda package only includes soda, no bottled water, no shakes, no smoothies, no slushies.

I will also add in a story a friend shared with me that may have influenced my decision to stick with the drink package. One night of drinking got a little bit away from a passenger. According to my friend she was buying drinks for everyone in sight, charging it a to her room. On the day they ended the cruise the same lady was seen looking through her bar bill nearly in tears at the amount of money she drunkenly spent. Granted, that could be done when you have the drink package, but most likely you won’t feel inspired to because you aren’t already charging the drinks. That was some of my logic anyway- I’m pretty lightweight & tend to become everyone’s best friend after 2 good drinks. I could totally see myself doing that.

Just a note that the soda package only includes soda, no bottled water, no shakes, no smoothies, no slushies.

That’s right, the basic soda option does not. The package I bought for the kids is the next step up- I think the refreshment package. Anyway, it includes Virgin frozen cocktails, which is what I was referring to. I’m glad you caught that. I wouldn’t want anyone buying the wrong package because I’m an airhead.

I will also add in a story a friend shared with me that may have influenced my decision to stick with the drink package. One night of drinking got a little bit away from a passenger. According to my friend she was buying drinks for everyone in sight, charging it a to her room. On the day they ended the cruise the same lady was seen looking through her bar bill nearly in tears at the amount of money she drunkenly spent. Granted, that could be done when you have the drink package, but most likely you won’t feel inspired to because you aren’t already charging the drinks. That was some of my logic anyway- I’m pretty lightweight & tend to become everyone’s best friend after 2 good drinks. I could totally see myself doing that.

No, it can't, because the drink package cannot be shared.

No bartender would let that drunk "buy a drink for everyone in sight".