Missed GSC Again

geegee1

Not so simple, nor environmentally sound, to build a dock.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2343250

I agree...but RCI, I'm sure after careful deliberation, decided it was worth it to do so. I am saying that NCL might later decide likewise, with the added pressure of competition having done so. I also said that due to differences in each company's locale, one might encounter more difficulties in that dredging and pier construction than the other, and that could be a factor in that consideration.

It is ironic, that RCI actually purchased their "private island" from NCL....:)

To be fair that depends on the ship. OP is on BA so that might be the case - our trip on BA we missed GSC too.

We have made it there with the smaller ships twice and didn't have any waits for food. Compared to our first time there years ago they've added eating areas (well, they added pretty much everything as back in the day there wasn't much there other than an eating venue off to the right once the tenders would storm the beach and you'd walk off right onto the beach).

The last time I was there was in Dec 2016 on the BA. We got to the island (we take a late tender) about 1pm and there were huge lines for food. There were rows and rows of chairs set up. We stayed about an hour and went back to the ship to eat and use the pool. When we went on the BA in Nov 2017 we couldn't tender...had a sea day instead.

When the lagoon was open (we found it after several trips there) it was like a private oasis. Not crowded, very calm water without shells on the bottom, lounge chairs wherever you wanted to lounge and a food facility without the lines. There was even a bathroom. I told DH "Wow, this is great. They could sell this as an excursion". Sadly, they must have read my mind.

Not sure why people say it takes so long for food and drink. I was there in January on the Escape and the Sky was there as well. Some of the bars/restaurants closest to the MAIN beach were crowded (not 30 mins crowded) but there were stands set up EVERYWHERE where you could get drinks and/or something to eat. Not all food/drink, but a variety. Take a short walk past the first beach and there were hardly any lines at all