Time changes

nutty nurse gladys

We are booked on a TA cruise in a couple of weeks and were wondering how the time changes are managed from the Caribbean to Southampton? I seem to remember hearing that they change an hour each day.

Can anyone enlighten me please. Thanks.

From the US to Southampton you will be losing an hour each day for 4/5 days. In our experience, they advance the clocks at midday which becomes 1pm.

If you have time changes of time zone during calls at various ports, time changes are usually at 2am so that you match local time when you arrive. (They usually put the clocks back at 2am when you sail East to West on a TA.)

I always thought it good to advance the hour in the daytime when possible so the crew weren't losing any hour's sleep given how hard they work but when I mentioned it to our waiter he said they had an hour less time off duty between ending their early shift and coming on duty for the evening - he'd prefer to lose an hour overnight. I suppose it works in the favour of some and not others.

On Transatlantic cruises back to the UK, the hour usually disappears at noon so that you keep your sleep hour. The noon announcement confirms its now 1pm.

That is our experience as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the TA back to Southampton last March. The clocks were put forward at 2pm for 5 days running, normal day in the Azores and then forward again for the last 3 days. We made the mistake on the first day to go for lunch at 1.45, but found they were closing the buffet as 2pm was looming, so we ended up going straight into tea at 3 pm! Didn't make that mistake again:eek::eek:

Many thanks for your replies. I'm sure it will be fine whatever time of day it changes. Got to be better than the awful jetlag we get from flying home. This will be the first time for us sailing home. Always wanted to do it but never had the time before. If we like it then I'm sure it could become the first of many.