Escape! Feb 10-17 Trip Report & Review

MaryBethV

Thursday | February 15th | Great Stirrup Cay

Up at the crack of dawn -- look out the window -- and see the most beautiful sight.

Calm waters!

And the sunrise wasn’t bad either...

38705332240_83572097df.jpg

38705337540_5e74a3c163.jpg

38705340910_b2ff98a4b9.jpg

We had ordered room service again for this morning. No omelets this time - just coffee, yogurt, and of course - croissants. Enjoyed quickly on the balcony.

39805186334_184774c35d.jpg

I had planned on going to the other side of the ship to take some photos overlooking the island, but they started calling tenders about a half and hour ahead of schedule. We grabbed our trusty map, towels, and bags and headed down to deck 8 with our "excursion" ticket in hand. Since our clamshell rental was technically an excursion, it gave us priority tendering.

26644622758_8fa73803b7.jpg

We got off the elevator on deck 8 forward and, as promised, there was an NCL crew member there that ushered us straight to an elevator they had ‘blocked off’ especially for this purpose. Another crew member was in the elevator and ushered us down to deck 4. So much better - thankful! We took a short walk down the ‘highway’ that runs right down the middle of deck 4 to one of the tendering points and walked onto the very first tender.

And we were off! The crew was still loading supplies to take to the island.

40473368612_91c86ccb45.jpg

They were loading two tender boats at a time and it seemed to go like clockwork.

39620802685_3cfccae53d.jpg

38705857950_9c900dfb2f.jpg

We had a nice view of the back of the ship.

39620801445_336ff6732f.jpg

38705857050_044217b356.jpg

In the distance you can see the lighthouse/zip line launch they are building.

39620800265_4ec076d84b.jpg

Pulling into the tendering area.

38705856030_24980037cb.jpg

I am so waiting for GSC since we were unable to go there due to weather. Also I want to tell you that you can write your review under the CC review section. They choose reviews of the week and send a little gift. I know you would win.

I just had back surgery and your review has been the highlight of my days. I wish I was back on the ship laying in the thermal spa with the amazing views. Having no cares except what I am going to wear for dinner that evening.

We are going on the Bliss in September to Alaska. I guess it won't be to long from now and I will be back in the spa.

We were on the island!!! It was beautiful - well done NCL.

25649829407_f6843a8d3d.jpg

38709894950_9ecf6a5b9a.jpg

25649831957_3f79de340e.jpg

38709893520_e90a1a4f51.jpg

We went straight to one of the clam-shell areas (to the beach and all the way to the right after getting off the tender) to claim our spot. The clam shells start about half way back in the group of loungers and you pick one. A NCL crew member/clamshell attendant will come over and check your shore excursion ticket and set it up for you. Easy peasy.

38709997110_30fddbd43d.jpg

Sad to say at this point we witnessed a fellow cruiser being very verbally abusive to one of the NCL clamshell attendants. Apparently he thought he was told to pick his lounge chairs and the attendant would bring the (rather hefty) clamshell to the loungers of his choice… right up front by the water of course. They don’t. And right up front they would block all the views of the beach. Now I can understand that it is frustrating to get non-specific or even conflicting information. That does not give you license to yell at and try to bully someone into doing what you want & break the rules just for you! The attendant offered to get his supervisor for the man to speak with - which just resulted in another tirade. The attendant handled himself with absolute class and didn’t even seem ruffled (which made me wonder how much practice he has had dealing with such abhorrent behavior!). I leaned over and whispered to DH “If power-trip-guy chooses the clamshell next to us - we are MOVING.” He didn’t and we ended up getting a nice family next to us and a sweet couple in front of us as neighbors for the day. Whew. Dodged that bullet.

Aside from just being a decent human - be nice to the clamshell attendants because they will come take your order and BRING YOU drinks!!!

I’m standing with my toes in the water when I took this photo. Our clamshell was on the left just a couple of rows past the lifeguard tower. Not far at all from the water, right next to a bar, and a few steps in front of the taco place. Great spot.

40520109591_2778145133.jpg

I quickly snapped a few photos before people dove into the water (which a few smart snorkelers did right away before the water got stirred up).

There was a RCCL ship out in the distance that tendered to the little island next to us.

26649708948_488f822ec4.jpg

39810501464_0b4b44bb4b.jpg

26649709988_13a085d8b5.jpg

The water was a great temperature and the day was obviously beautiful.

We snorkeled for a little bit right in front of us (we brought our own masks and fins) and we did see some fish. I only took underwater video with the GoPro - so apologies for no photos of pretty fish!

39810500204_8ab017ba63.jpg

26649757438_5c187cb277.jpg

26649758238_cdf44b36d4.jpg

It was like the Escape was playing peek-a-boo! :cool:

38710775980_8b3dc26f81.jpg

We didn’t want to leave!

40478441902_651dfaec4e.jpg

A few final thoughts…

Food | NCL did a great job here. I think almost everyone got off the ship at this stop and there were many mouths to feed. In addition to the large, main buffet - there was the taco place as well as at least two grilled hamburger stations and one hot dog station set up in various places. (possibly more, but that is all I saw) I grabbed a cheeseburger for DH and he said it was really good. Then I went and picked up two small tacos for myself - a fish taco and a chicken taco (they also had beef). They were pretty good because of the available toppings, though the tortillas were a different texture… very chewy. Later, I went and fetched us plates of food from the buffet - grilled jerk chicken (very good), bbq ribs (also very good!), various bean and pasta salads (OK), and many other yummy looking items that wouldn’t fit on my plate. The only thing I saw that I would recommend avoiding is the pizza. It looked sad. (However, I’m sure it made many a little kid happy!) I never encountered more than 5 people in front of me in a line all day. I think all of the options helped keep lines almost non-existent.

Bars | There are also many bar options on the island. By the main bar further down the beach they had music and various activities going on throughout the day. The bar by us wasn’t even fully set up when we got there, but they did have self-serve water that had oranges cut up in it first thing. Very refreshing and appreciated after tendering and hauling your stuff (remember - NOT a light packer!) to your lounge chair.

The Beach | While incredibly beautiful, do wear swim shoes as it is very rocky in areas with small stones to very large boulders. And this is my only complaint from the whole day… there is scrap metal (such as rebar) amidst the rocks in a few places under the water. :( We even saw what looked like a small metal antenna poking up in one spot! Definitely an injury waiting to happen. They are spending millions on the construction of the lighthouse/zipline and the new Haven accommodations… hopefully NCL will allocate a few $’s to have some clean-up done in the swimming area of the main beach.

I am so waiting for GSC since we were unable to go there due to weather. Also I want to tell you that you can write your review under the CC review section. They choose reviews of the week and send a little gift. I know you would win.

I just had back surgery and your review has been the highlight of my days. I wish I was back on the ship laying in the thermal spa with the amazing views. Having no cares except what I am going to wear for dinner that evening.

We are going on the Bliss in September to Alaska. I guess it won't be to long from now and I will be back in the spa.

Ooo - an Alaska cruise is a dream of mine! Have fun! I was just looking at a few last night and trying to convince myself I could make-do with an inside cabin. There IS the 2-story observatory on the Bliss... so an inside cabin might be just fine. :confused:

Hope you heal quickly!

Hey, a question about the clamshell rental. Do they assign you one, or do you just get a card to claim a random one on the beach? My fair skined wife and future daughter in law (both red heads) are going to need some shade for sure.

I am so happy we rented one - both for the sun protection and just a tiny bit of privacy. We got one with the mesh insert in the back because I read that the ones that have a solid back can get really hot and stuffy.

You just go to one of the areas for clamshells (#8 on the map - in three areas. Ours was in the (8) section closest to the top of the map.) and choose one. A NCL crew member/clamshell attendant will come over and check your shore excursion ticket and set it up for you.

I am so happy we rented one - both for the sun protection and just a tiny bit of privacy. We got one with the mesh insert in the back because I read that the ones that have a solid back can get really hot and stuffy.

You just go to one of the areas for clamshells (#8 on the map - in three areas. Ours was in the (8) section closest to the top of the map.) and choose one. A NCL crew member/clamshell attendant will come over and check your shore excursion ticket and set it up for you.

Excellent, thanks! I noticed you pretty much answered my question in your write up anyway, but thanks for the specific answer (and the map)

Geeze! People were testy that week. Down by us someone stole several chairs from our group and when we noticed and said excuse me you're taking our chairs he exploded! Cursing a blue streak about how he hasn't had a chair all week and that it's now his chair. Just awful awful dude.

Maybe if he didn't wait until almost three hours after the island opened up he would have found a chair where he wanted!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Geeze! People were testy that week. Down by us someone stole several chairs from our group and when we noticed and said excuse me you're taking our chairs he exploded! Cursing a blue streak about how he hasn't had a chair all week and that it's now his chair. Just awful awful dude.

Maybe if he didn't wait until almost three hours after the island opened up he would have found a chair where he wanted!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's crazy! If they are that miserable in the middle of paradise, it's a wonder they don't spontaneously combust during their day-to-day life. :o

We were back on the ship. What a beautiful, relaxing day we had at Great Stirrup Cay!

I took a few photos from our balcony as we were departing. You can see the large construction project taking place for the new Haven area. Other than hearing a few hammering sounds from the tower early in the morning, we didn’t even notice the construction. Granted, we were on the furthest beach from it so it may have affected others.

39639290985_91fde53998.jpg

40534097701_5a0d378649.jpg

This is the small space between Great Stirrup Cay and Royal Caribbean’s CocoCay.

39639289675_56a4df7dc0.jpg

This is CocoCay. I think the construction out in front of it is for a pier (awesome!). It could have been the distance, but it looked SO tiny compared to Great Stirrup Cay. Though I’ve seen a vlog from Morgan of Very unOfficial Travel Guides on YouTube (look him up - love him!) when he was on CocoCay and it looked beautiful and not too small.

40534096331_98f0ffc3dc.jpg

I looked up cruise line private islands in the Bahamas and found these two maps, which I found interesting.

25664491887_570221624f.jpg

25664488447_b13aabc0ba.jpg

Have you been to any of the other private islands? If so, what did you think?

Can you tell me about what time you got into Grand Cayman, and if ship's time was the same as local time? Trying to book an excursion and don't want to miss the boat :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Forums mobile app

Someone please correct me here if I'm wrong - but I didn't even think about a time change, so I'm assuming that there wasn't one. I didn't see anything in our daily about it that I can remember and didn't hear anyone talking about it. Also, when taxi-Christine asked what time the last tender to our boat was and what time she needed to pick us up -- everyone responded using the ship time.

Someone please correct me here if I'm wrong - but I didn't even think about a time change, so I'm assuming that there wasn't one. I didn't see anything in our daily about it that I can remember and didn't hear anyone talking about it. Also, when taxi-Christine asked what time the last tender to our boat was and what time she needed to pick us up -- everyone responded using the ship time.

The Eastern Itinerary has a time change; Western is same time, no changes, from sail away to return!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you been to any of the other private islands? If so, what did you think?

Gosh I was at Coco Cay about 30 years ago. It was my first cruise. I remember it being pretty rocky. I do remember getting pretty upset because the staff was selling some type of fancy drink and they kept hounding you to buy one. They had them on trays and tried pushing it even though you said no thank you at least 4 times. I finally told the guy in a stern voice "Enough, leave me alone" then he finally stopped. I don't remember shopping on the island but there could have been. Just such a long time ago I can't seem to remember. It was just an ok day. By now I am sure they have upgraded the area and it is probably a much nicer stop.

We were also in Labadee Haiti a few years ago. I am pretty sure it is leased by Royal Caribbean. We were on Celebrity. It was a beautiful area with clear water and nice views. It was easy to get chairs to relax. I seem to remember there were other things you could do on the island for a fee. They also had a very nice barbecue on the beach. There was a shopping area in the area that you could walk to. Yes you were pressured like many of the shopping areas in these areas. I do remember it being a really nice relaxing day and a great stop.

Pinchos Tapas Bar for dinner | They don’t take reservations, so we just walked up and asked if there was a table on the waterfront available. There was - otherwise we probably would have waited until one opened up. This is generally an a la carte restaurant, but you can use a dining credit + an extra $7 per person. You can order as much as you want. While I felt their food was good overall, it was more the slow-paced relaxing meal, good wine, a wonderful server, and of course the spot on the waterfront that made it worth it and a memorable meal.

26670854508_2c597c8e96.jpg

Our server was Mavel from the Philippines. She was very busy, yet friendly, and extremely knowledgeable about every item on the menu.

I was looking forward to sampling a few of the wines (particularly the red wines) at this restaurant. They have a really nice selection of Spanish wines that, I believe, are only available at Pinchos and Bayamo.

This is the list of the red wines available by the glass.

26670855358_8e3e785f22.jpg

The bad news: only one of them - the Garnacha - was available! The good news: it was good! Note to self: if I ever book a restaurant based on their wine list - book much earlier in the week, not day 6.

We also enjoyed the Sauvignon Blanc Marques de Riscal from Rueda, Spain from their white by-the-glass selections.

To start with we ordered the chef’s selection of cheeses and the chef’s selection of meats. I am kicking myself for not taking photos of them. It took 30-40 minutes before the first dish (the cheese plate) arrived and we were super hungry by that point! The cheese plate came with three of the 4 varieties on the menu + some thinly sliced green apple, some Dulce de Leche, and some bread. The meat plate came nicely presented as well. All of it - especially the cheese selection - was delicious.

Next we ordered a few things, and then later a few more, and the later a few more… and then dessert. I think I snagged a photo of everything from this point on, so I’ll just list them for you in the order we had them.

Salmon a la Plancha (grilled salmon, parsley garlic oil) - Perfectly cooked, not bad at all - but overall the flavor was very mild. The parsley garlic oil which is used in a number of dishes was a bit bland. Not what I am used to from our favorite Tapas restaurant in the city by us where everything seems to explode with flavor.

40541992281_441d7e98c8.jpg

Calamari (garlic, lemon, parsley) - So if you’ve been reading along you know that the calamari from the previous night’s dinner at La Cucina was very tender and delicious. This was very chewy/rubbery and lacked flavor. It was our least favorite dish of the night. In fact, DH tried to make it edible by putting it in the spicy garlic oil from the shrimp which came next…

38731626310_0d518f04a3.jpg

Gambas al Ajillo (garlic shrimp, baguette) - This dish is what I'd consider a standard dish at any Tapas restaurant and is always very good. This was no exception - served piping hot & it was yummy! If I ordered it again, I’d ask for extra bread.

40541991471_111fc739b0.jpg

Crab Montadito (blue crab salad, avocado, tomato fresca) - This was pretty good. The avacado was perfectly ripe and all the ingredients went well together. The crab salad was not mayo-heavy like the crab salad/potato skin dish I had in the main dining room our first day.

38731624560_824a3b0c67.jpg

Croquetas de Bacalao (cod croquettes, tomato escabeche) - These were soft & airy and the cod flavor really came through. The tomatoes were good as well with the same flavor they had in the Crab Montadito.

40541990371_6c3bc33d35.jpg

Scallops (Hand Dived Atlantic Scallops, Parsley, Olive Oil) - These were nicely seared and tasted good, though I think something is lost when they are sliced so thinly. Again with the parsley oil - you know what I think about that.

38731623060_67c294bd02.jpg

Lamb (bacon wrapped lamb, sweet onion cream, lamb jus) - Interesting presentation. The lamb was tender. The jus and the cream was a little odd… did you take a bite of the lamb, dip it again? Should you dump it on your plate so you could get more on a bite with the lamb? Sometimes innovative presentation doesn’t translate as well to actually eating the dish.

25671147807_33a9e16573.jpg

Iberico Secreto (Pork Flank Steak, Chimichurri) - This was my favorite meat dish as the pork was nicely cooked and the chimichurri gave it a nice burst of flavor.

40499333272_0b21027c52.jpg

Beef Brochettes a la Plancha (grilled wagu beef skewers, fingerling potato) - The beef was good, but didn’t have a lot of flavor. And I’m not sure what happened to the fingerling potato in the description?

40499332822_41aedeafdb.jpg

Dessert - I do not remember the name of it… and it isn’t on the main menu - some sort of creme brulee. It was delectable. Crispy sugar crust, super creamy under that - and cherries with citrus on top. If we could have eaten one more bite, we would have ordered another!

40541986981_f9f04c1f97.jpg

Overall -- this was a unique, relaxing, and very nice meal. We would eat here again in a heartbeat - though we would skip the calamari and we’d probably eat the cheese/meat selections throughout the meal for some extra flavor instead of just at the beginning. We would also definitely go early in the week so we could try a few different wines along with the menu items before they were all gone!

The neighborhood started filling up. First a RCCL ship and then the Disney Magic.

26681904868_dca86c7f5c.jpg

26681904138_54fe8e5218.jpg

26681903418_93607ec2cc.jpg

Breakfast in Taste | Qidi from China was our server and we had a widow table again. I had the yogurt parfait and the rosemary biscuit eggs benedict. Both were delicious. The biscuit from the eggs benedict was soft and very good - but it was huge! It is really nice that they have a few new items to choose from on the breakfast menu each day.

40510341472_c153e44cb6.jpg

40510342272_a0d89a3ea6.jpg

26681907968_fd2aeff99c.jpg

We decided to let the masses get off the ship first and then go ashore just to look around a tiny bit. I wanted to get some photos of the ship and this was my last chance to do that. A quick stop back in our stateroom for our bags revealed our new neighbor for the day - the Carnival Liberty. Then we spotted the MSC Seaside arriving. Such a pretty ship.

40553411021_5ddb212cb4.jpg

25682546857_937529f750.jpg

40553409801_fb3c21ecea.jpg

Since we were in the farthest spot from the port, there was no way DH would be able to walk - so the scooter came in very handy here just like it did in Jamaica.

26682123998_28a63e1b51.jpg

26682124478_b58bf73ecb.jpg

38742981090_75fb7a2a4b.jpg