Escape! Feb 10-17 Trip Report & Review

MaryBethV

Enjoying your TR so much! We are on the Escape in less than three weeks. All of your tips are really helpful. One of my family members has mobility issues as well so your tips concerning those are also helpful. When you went to Food Republic, it sounds like you went at an off time which made for no wait. About what time of the day was that? And it was early in the cruise, right? Looking forward to reading the rest of your TR!! Thx for taking the time to post!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enjoying your TR so much! We are on the Escape in less than three weeks. All of your tips are really helpful. One of my family members has mobility issues as well so your tips concerning those are also helpful. When you went to Food Republic, it sounds like you went at an off time which made for no wait. About what time of the day was that? And it was early in the cruise, right? Looking forward to reading the rest of your TR!! Thx for taking the time to post!

We did go early in the week - on the second full day (Jamaica day). We were there around 5:30pm if I remember correctly since we had a later dinner at Cagney's around 8:30/9:00. Someone here mentioned they may have had a new menu put in place recently - so maybe that was a factor in our experience. I'd try them again though!

Have you been to any of the other private islands? If so, what did you think?

Gosh I was at Coco Cay about 30 years ago. It was my first cruise. I remember it being pretty rocky. I do remember getting pretty upset because the staff was selling some type of fancy drink and they kept hounding you to buy one. They had them on trays and tried pushing it even though you said no thank you at least 4 times. I finally told the guy in a stern voice "Enough, leave me alone" then he finally stopped. I don't remember shopping on the island but there could have been. Just such a long time ago I can't seem to remember. It was just an ok day. By now I am sure they have upgraded the area and it is probably a much nicer stop.

We were also in Labadee Haiti a few years ago. I am pretty sure it is leased by Royal Caribbean. We were on Celebrity. It was a beautiful area with clear water and nice views. It was easy to get chairs to relax. I seem to remember there were other things you could do on the island for a fee. They also had a very nice barbecue on the beach. There was a shopping area in the area that you could walk to. Yes you were pressured like many of the shopping areas in these areas. I do remember it being a really nice relaxing day and a great stop.

Thanks for your thoughts on CocoCay (I'm sure it is better now!) and Labadee! I've watched videos on Labadee and it looks quite nice as well. I have to say - I did walk through the small shopping market area on Great Stirrup Cay and was not pressured at all by the vendors - which was nice.

Really enjoyed your review! Love your style of writing! We are on the Escape in June to Bermuda and can't wait. We did the western Caribbean last May on the Escape and so far it's my favorite NCL ship.

Back on the boat - we stopped in the atrium for drinks. Before lunch. No judging - it was the last day of vacation! If you really like bitter drinks - the Negroni is for you. DH was not a fan and compared it to medicine. I had the daydreamers daiquiri which was served on the rocks and was very refreshing.

We headed to O’Sheehan’s for lunch.

39861615214_2b01b8bd6f.jpg

39677447255_2b3ebc41e1.jpg

I had the caesar salad with salmon (very good) and the chicken sandwich (I didn’t eat the bun since I was getting full - but the chicken and tangy sauce with jalapenos on it was tasty.

39677446745_5491a096d7.jpg

39861614604_ee3037b845.jpg

DH had the jerk wings again and they were not nearly as good this time around. He also had a regular burger - which he liked.

Oh! I forgot to tell you that earlier in the week - after our La Cucina dinner - we stopped back in at the gift shop and they confirmed that they didn’t have any Escape ornaments that week. SO SAD. I finally stopped back in on after our lunch on this last day and bought an Escape-model magnet that I’ll probably attach a ribbon to. For the future, NCL needs to read popular reviews like Mitsygirlys and stock appropriately lol!

We headed back to the room and started packing. While intermittently watching the latest Spider Man movie from our balcony. It was playing on the top deck of the Carnival ship next to us.

Then we headed to our last time in the spa and just chilled for a few hours. I’m going to miss this place when we go on the Getaway this spring. I know we won’t have time for it anyways because our kids will keep us super busy - but I’ll still miss it because I know it is there!

First to arrive, first to leave. I snagged another couple photos of the neighbors we were leaving behind as we left port… I’m so fascinated by the MSC because it looks so different than all the others.

39677445675_33326b39c6.jpg

25701478867_eef7bcd93b.jpg

The back of the MSC Seaside is really unique - and it looks like it has a “waterfront” somewhat like the Escape. Has anyone been on it?

40562226051_8bf503c61e.jpg

40562352761_3b9fbf7a1a.jpg

A little Disney Magic...

40562225691_f20946de8a.jpg

40519481712_ed17415d81.jpg

40562224301_3d02b7b9de.jpg

40562222421_caaf51d2e9.jpg

Have been on MSC but not the Seaside yet. Will be twice next year. Those rooms at the aft they were calling "condo" type rooms IIRC.

NCL's next class of ship will look very familiar as they are using pretty much the same design.

Savor for dinner | Edwin was our server for our last dinner on the ship. The menu looked promising!

26710871738_9ed54f73e5.jpg

25711859037_124eee9f35.jpg

40582347051_d68d0dab86.jpg

And as we sat down we were treated to a beautiful sunset out the window.

26710846358_06757db9c7.jpg

Seared Atlantic Scallops (cauliflower puree, crispy capers, red bell pepper drizzle) - These were the best scallops I had all week. Hands down. The sweetness of the scallops, with a little acid and heat - SO YUMMY. I almost ordered another instead of dessert.

26710845818_9047eab400.jpg

Grilled Caramelized Onion Flatbread (goat cheese, basil, cherry tomatoes) - I have to admit that the brown stuff smeared on the bottom threw me a little because it didn’t look like caramelized onions. But it tasted delicious. Really, really good.

26710845358_3cf5beb669.jpg

Veal Scallopini Oscar (thinly-sliced and sauteed veal, crab meat, asparagus, mashed potatoes, bearnaise sauce) - I thought the presentation was very nice and DH enjoyed it.

25711821657_0dd46fe72a.jpg

Citrus-Glazed Seared Salmon (french beans, glazed pearl onions, mashed potatoes) - Another winner. This one wins best Salmon of the week and if you made it this far you know how many salmon dishes I tried! The salmon had so much flavor and the beans, onions, and mashed potatoes were all perfectly cooked and so good.

25711822657_74e06749ed.jpg

Well, since dinner was going so well - we ordered dessert and were not disappointed. The desserts didn’t match the level of the ones in the specialty restaurants, but were still very good.

French Opera Cake

40540260372_cd4d88086f.jpg

Raspberry Chocolate Truffle Cake

40582346231_bd09b16956.jpg

Overall, I’d have to say this was our second favorite dinner just behind La Cucina & narrowly beating out Pinchos. Impressed!

We grabbed some after-dinner wine at The Cellars, strolled on the waterfront, and ended up back at The District Brewhouse to just sit on a couch in the back and listen to the music. Great way to end our last evening.

25711857147_c0154443c5.jpg

No towel animal to greet us this night. No worries - Bristol made us a virtual zoo if you add them all up from the week. It just signaled that our vacation was about to end. Time to set out our luggage. :loudcry:

Saturday | February 17th | Miami to Home

Yawn! It is harder to wake up when you know you have to leave! The city did look beautiful at sunrise though.

39872600744_4ce80f8d83.jpg

39872600274_42e18e5f5d.jpg

39872599654_9c802f36f5.jpg

39872599084_e5dee80ef4.jpg

Our flight out wasn’t until 1pm - so we signed up for the 9am group to depart. That allowed us to enjoy one last relaxing breakfast at Taste. And guess who was our server? Christina from the night we at at La Cucina! She is so sweet - she remembered us immediately. What a nice send-off.

One last quick glance at the Escape… until next time (hopefully).

26711464108_8f02a06e24.jpg

Edited by MaryBethV

After surviving a taxi van ride where the driver drove like Bowser in Mario Kart :eek:… we made it to the airport with time to spare. Our flight home gave us great views of Miami.

26711462748_e06b0e152f.jpg

39688574135_e40317c433.jpg

40540946052_0ee24e67e1.jpg

...and chilly views upon approach to Detroit. Yes, friends, that is floating ice.

We are definitely back home. Brr.

39688571955_31958d7890.jpg

39688572865_bf2b8b367f.jpg

Thanks for following along! We had a wonderful first cruise and it was fun to relive it by posting here.

Thanks for an extremely well written review. I looked forward to each installment everyday. We will be on the Escape September for the first time and will feel that we sailed her already thanks to you!

Also - in the shower - a bar for shaving legs would be really nice. Practically standing on one’s head with razor blades in hand on a moving ship - what could possibly go wrong?

The showers on the Getaway have the foot bar for shaving legs and it was very convenient. However we were on the Escape back in Sept 2017 and I brought a small folding step stool that I purchased from Bed, Bath, and Beyond for use in the shower to prop up my foot for leg shaving. Worked really well, but I was bummed that I had to make room in my suitcase for the stool. I've been meaning to e-mail NCL about their decision not to include this foot bar in the Escape bathrooms.