Voice of the Ocean time commitment

liusinthesun

1 hour ago, JJNorsk said:

I think they really don't want the best singers. I think they want those that they think the audience will approve of winning. So if you are older....just have fun and be warned. It's not a singing contest. It's entertainment. 

You can be the worst singer and win, all you need is a lot of friends in the audience.

Another factor is song choice.

I'm now in my 60s, but only participated when I was in my 50s. Out of five sailings, I made it to the finals all 5 times, and won 3 of them. One time I was beaten by a woman in her 80s. She was clearly having fun, and the audience ate it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

You can be the worst singer and win, all you need is a lot of friends in the audience.

Another factor is song choice.

I'm now in my 60s, but only participated when I was in my 50s. Out of five sailings, I made it to the finals all 5 times, and won 3 of them. One time I was beaten by a woman in her 80s. She was clearly having fun, and the audience ate it up.

Yes, that's sort of what I thought. Have fun, have friends! What songs did you sing?

17 minutes ago, JJNorsk said:

Yes, that's sort of what I thought. Have fun, have friends! What songs did you sing?

My first reply on page 1 of this thread has a video.

22 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

My first reply on page 1 of this thread has a video.

Sweet! I can see how you won a lot! You are a great singer!

• Thanks 1

Disclaimer - I do not sing.  Would never want to be on a stage.  But, on our last cruise the 70 year old man one.  Boy, could he sing.  The 20 year old girl in her sexy dress did not.  She really could not sing.  Maybe the dress got her to the finals but did not get her the win.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:52 PM, CineGraphic said:

First of all, it's not a reality show, it's a talent contest.

I've participated 4 times. The only thing I've seen that is questionable is that it's predetermined which judges turn around.

I spoke with someone involved in the production and they stated that they do this to prevent having a contestant not have a single judge turn around. The last thing they want to do is embarrass a paying guest. The judges also are told to only say nice things, again, to make your paying guest feel good.

I've seen a staff member write down the results of the voting, place it in an envelope and hand it to another crew member to bring out on stage. I have video of the same. When contestants can choose which coach they want to team up with, you can't predetermine a winner like you state. I've won twice, been a finalist a 3rd time and stood in the wings yet another time. I've seen the show from all angles. I'm sorry, but whatever you think you saw the emcee holding, was not the name of a predetermined winner.

I'd say it's a mix of a talent contest and reality show.

I've participated in 4 of the VOTO competitions now.  

On one of the events, there was a woman who had a huge crowd and her son kept yelling that it was his Mom.  That singer chose to be on the same team as me.  I was cruising only with my children and only my 12 year old was in the audience. I think the judge felt like he had to choose the other singer, though after the show I had so many people come to me and say they thought I was better.

I've sang a lot of karaoke and sing in church a lot.  But music is subjective.  What is great to one person is not to another.  The Voice is about popularity.  The finalists are chosen by votes from the audience.  My last cruise, the auditions were very long, 24 singers tried out and they only chose the top 6.  So if you didn't get the votes, you didn't move on.  3 of the guys that tried out were actual professional singers who performed in Branson.  2 of them made it to the finals.  That show was seriously amazing.  There wasn't a bad singer in the bunch and so much talent.  4 men and 2 women were the finalists.  Song choices were Fly Me To The Moon, Unchained Melody, You Raise Me Up, Give Me One Reason, It's Now or Never and Natural Woman.

The coaches are instructed to make sure at least one turns around for every contestant, if more want to turn, they can, but they also try to make sure there are at least 2 finalists on each team, then the coach chooses who to move on to be chosen by the audience.  I do agree that they run out of 'clickers' for the audience, my Mom was late and didn't get a remote so she couldn't vote for me. 😞 

They also give the percentage of the votes as well.  

It's super fun and if you win, you get a very cool trophy!

Everything that has human participation can seem 'rigged' at some point.  But it is what it is.

If you want to try out, or your family member does, it's super fun, doesn't take a whole lot of time out of the day and makes it more fun on the ship.  🙂

On 3/31/2018 at 3:03 PM, blackforest3 said:

My daughter and her new husband will be honeymooning on the Crown Princes in June. She is a Voice Major and is looking forward to participating on the Voice of the Ocean. In this mom's humble opinion, she is very good! But, is being a trained singer going to hinder her? Are they looking for the silly, awful "bad" singers for the entertainment value? Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

On our last Princess cruise, one of the contestants was a 50-ish woman who was a trained opera singer. At the final, she sang "Dancing Queen" and it was not good--like a comedy skit of an operatic soprano attempting pop music.  She mentioned that she did not like the song choices she was given. (Later in the cruise she did a couple of opera arias in the Crown Grill with a pianist and she was pretty awesome.). She did not make it to the top three. So, yes--song choice is important!  🙂 

I should also note the opera singer took the competition WAY too seriously. She treated it like her Carnegie Hall debut and seemed certain that she was going to win because she had the "best" voice. However, the judge picked another woman over her for the final who had a nice voice but was clearly terrified--and the audience was totally on her side.

In the end, an adorable 16-year-old girl won. She was good, but I think the clincher was that she was clearly having the time of her life out there.

I wasn't keen on going to the final, but it was so much fun!  The judges are pretty hilarious, even if it is a canned routine that they perform over and over.

• Like 1