Eastbound Or Westbound

planetcadillac

I looked for a thread but did not find one recently. We are contemplating a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 sometime in 2006. Does anyone have an opinion as to what is better Eastbound or West? We live in the eastern time zone of the US. Travelling west bound you do get 5 extra hours of cruise time lol but well in so far as flight arrangements, jet lag, and the like? We thought about back to back and that would be fabulous but 2 weeks is a lot. :D

We thought about back to back and that would be fabulous but 2 weeks is a lot. :D

I think you've answered your own question! All other things being equal, I'd go west, for the longer days and fabulous arrival into, er Brooklyn.....but then I'm based on the European side of the pond, so have no jet lag to start with.....perhaps a few days in London before sailing back home?

Peter

We decided on the westbound for our transatlantic. We spent a few days in London and Southampton before the sailing. It was a great time and can't wait to do again. We also wanted to experience the arrival in New York after the transatlantic like our relatives experienced when they first came over. The history was worth the westbound sailing.

Merry Christmas and happy sailings.

Ed

With the impending change of terminals to Red Hook .. the whole arrival process will become a non-starter. You wont be seeing Lady Liberty or anything interesting. This change is definately for the BAD.

23 hour days vs 25 hour days?? Hmm . I went eastbound and thought the 'loss' of an hour each night was kinda wierd but then I ended up at breakfast most every morning by about 9am anyhow. So sleeping 'in' still worked just the fact I did not run around till all hours of the night!

Having done an eastbound, I can tell you that the loss of an hour every day is not a big deal, but to be honest it did start to catch up with us a little by the end of the crossing, when, for example we went to a planetarium show on the last full day and my wife and I promptly fell asleep.

I think it is a different answer depending on which side of the Atlantic you live on. Just my personal opinion from the U.S. side, it was great starting our vacation with the QM2. That way, while we were enjoying the crossing, we were looking forward to our additional time in England ... a mentally nicer feeling while on board.

I would have recommended the Manhattan sail-by as a great beginning to a crossing as a reason to go eastbound (the adrenaline of just beginning the voyage, and it being ~ 6 p.m. instead of ~5 a.m.), but unfortunately Cunard/Princess/Carnival [insert smack to side of company's head here] have done away with that tradition beginning with the next crossing season, so it is a moot point.

Paul

Even before air travel became the pain that it is today, we always felt a real sense of excitement in starting a transatlantic crossing from New York. And I don't think it changes all that much in leaving from Red Hook.

Being on the east coast and getting right on the ship in NY seems to the perfect way to start. When you get to airport in the UK, the trip is over and it's just climb on, close your eyes and get home.

Indeed, going both ways on the ship is super if you've got the time.

I've done both, on different trips on QE2. I think the westbound is better, especially after a few days spent in London or elsewhere in the UK. It is a very relaxing way to return from vacation and the extra hour each day means you will get more sleep and arrive home relaxed.

Only advantage of eastbound is that the ship travels a bit faster, if you like speed.

Well, I'm either decadent or a cowardly custard (rather not fly since 9/11 happened in our "backyard"), but I travel both ways by ship.

I love the eastbound because I always look forward to going to Europe, but you can dance the night away on the westbound and enjoy the extra hour, which is fun.

You wont be seeing Lady Liberty or anything interesting. This change is definately for the BAD.

Unless Lady Liberty is going to be moved. You will see the exact same view of her as if you sailed down from the west side.

I think you've answered your own question! All other things being equal, I'd go west, for the longer days and fabulous arrival into, er Brooklyn.....but then I'm based on the European side of the pond, so have no jet lag to start with.....perhaps a few days in London before sailing back home?

Peter

Well I have been eastbound and west on the QE2 but this will be our first trip on the QM2. We thought about a roundtrip but we would like to do Segment I (NYC to LA) of the World Cruise in 2007 on the QE2 to see her one last time we need to spread the time and $$$ around. My income in my line of work can variate so if I have a good 2006 that means good travelling in 2007.

Since the QM2 is more standardized as far as cabin selection and general accomodation and amenities we don't need to plan as much. No need to pour over deck plans, etc.

"Unless Lady Liberty is going to be moved. You will see the exact same view of her as if you sailed down from the west side." JPEvans

I do apologise for my ignorance here - I booked for next August for the same reasons as many others- sailing into New York; thinking of others who did the same (although sadly not in such luxury) and was upset to read of the changes just after my booking.

Does JPEvans' quote above, mean that we will still see the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan?

Thanks

Heywood

"Does JPEvans' quote above, mean that we will still see the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan? Thanks Heywood

I'm not sure we know yet - see the attached map:

http://*****.com/bqo7p

How well you see the Statue of Liberty will depend on whether the QM2 sails round Governor's Island, (the island opposite the red placemark) down Buttermilk Channel (over the Brooklyn Battery tunnel) to the Terminal - marked with the red dot. If it does, your view of the Statue of Liberty will be exactly as before - and you will have a great view of Lower Manhattan - but not the voyage up the Hudson, past the Chrysler & Empire State buildings & Times Square. However, if the QM2 simply sails directly to the terminal, then as you can see you will have a poorer view of Liberty and almost none at all of Manhattan. Time will tell.

Peter

Westbound has Eastbound beat by 12 hours.... We would ask for a discount for the Eastbound crossing but know that the reply would be... no. no. no.. your fare is correct..we shall increase the Westbound fare.

Merry Christmas, Happy New year to all........

I've made 22 Atlantic crossings by sea (plus a couple of trans-Pacific ones). I've loved them all. When I was younger I was indifferent to the direction. As I've aged, the jet lag has gotten worse and, if I can take the trip by sea only one way, I would prefer to make it eastbound.

I'm not sure we know yet - see the attached map:

http://*****.com/bqo7p

How well you see the Statue of Liberty will depend on whether the QM2 sails round Governor's Island, (the island opposite the red placemark) down Buttermilk Channel (over the Brooklyn Battery tunnel) to the Terminal - marked with the red dot. If it does, your view of the Statue of Liberty will be exactly as before - and you will have a great view of Lower Manhattan - but not the voyage up the Hudson, past the Chrysler & Empire State buildings & Times Square. However, if the QM2 simply sails directly to the terminal, then as you can see you will have a poorer view of Liberty and almost none at all of Manhattan. Time will tell.

Peter

Both the Statue & Manhattan will be seen from Red Hook...but at a distance...depending on how close the capatain sails the ship to Lady liberty...but certainly you will not be sailing by her as was done in the past!

AS far as East West bound....West is best! I did TA on QE2 & last may did a 14 day NYC- Barcelona on HAL PRINSENDAM.....they changed the clocks 8 times during the crossing - it killed me & I never adjusted. I've never had that problem before.

At least if you fly to Europe - take the latest flight out at note - you arrive in teh morning & get going. The crossing back gives you an extra hour & you return refreshed.

I agree with the "Westbounders" as the extra hour most days is refreshing. Another variable we have noted is that Westbound invariably has more Europeans than Eastbound. Eastbound has more Americans and children as a general rule. We find the tone of the sailing a bit more relaxed westbound. Either choice is better than going to work that week.

All the best.

Jim.

Both the Statue & Manhattan will be seen from Red Hook...but at a distance...depending on how close the capatain sails the ship to Lady liberty...but certainly you will not be sailing by her as was done in the past!

Hi Rotterdam - do we yet know they will not be sailing round Governor's Island? Anyone know how ORIANA docked when she visited Red Hook earlier this year?

Peter

Hi Rotterdam - do we yet know they will not be sailing round Governor's Island? Anyone know how ORIANA docked when she visited Red Hook earlier this year?

Peter

No I have not heard the route after leaving the pier....that being said Cunard would be quite amiss if they did not make an effort to sail closer to the Statue of Liberty. People will be able to see the Statue but not as well as before. Actaully Governors Island is between Manhattan & Brooklyn/Red Hook (a 5 minute ferry ride) & I do not know if that area is dredged deep enough for these larger ships drafts.

As far as Manhattan - British Airways had a commercial a few years back that had Manhattan flying across the pond - if anyone recalls that shot - the passengers will have that view.

I just hope Cunard changes back to Manhattan Piers someday.

For me it would have to be Westbound. I travelled Eastbound earlier this year and whilst it was a great trip we felt we missed out by losing that hours sleep every night.

We ended up just getting up an hour later every day and by mid way through the cruise were not surfacing until late morning.

There were some activities that looked fun first thing in the morning but we were never up early enough to get stuck in.

Teresa

I agree with the "Westbounders" as the extra hour most days is refreshing. Another variable we have noted is that Westbound invariably has more Europeans than Eastbound. Eastbound has more Americans and children as a general rule. We find the tone of the sailing a bit more relaxed westbound. Either choice is better than going to work that week.

All the best.

Jim.

I speak three languages, Spanish & French including English and it would be nice to have a greater European mix of people. Makes for interesting conversation. So based on the responses it is becoming more and more like Westbound.

Archived