Assistance questions

Hello,

I just got surgery of my spinal cord and spine, I have a cruise coming up in 6 weeks, doctor says I be fine but cautioned me as I need months for the bone grafting to heal, he suggested I wear my cervical collar when I am walking in uneasy places and in large crowds. I called special assistance and got a wheelchair to get me onto the ship as the ramps of going up and down is not good for me to walk. I have a few questions:

I assume somebody working for RC will push me onto the ship in my wheelchair, do they just push you onto the ship where you board and am I able to ask the person if they can take me to deck 8 so that we can make our ultimate dining reservations? After I get to deck 8, I am able to get out of the wheelchair and avoid the crowds.

They may or may not be able to push you to deck 8. Normally, the wheelchair assistance is just to get you on the ship. You may want to consider renting a wheelchair or scooter from one of the companies that specializes in cruise ship rentals, like scootaround.com or specialneedsatsea.com.

They may or may not be able to push you to deck 8. Normally, the wheelchair assistance is just to get you on the ship. You may want to consider renting a wheelchair or scooter from one of the companies that specializes in cruise ship rentals, like scootaround.com or specialneedsatsea.com.

Agree. Had same surgery and I waited 16 weeks before I cruised. By then was able to get around fine by time I sailed. Defiantly would at least considering renting a scooter.

We always reserve 2 wheelchairs for boarding. They have wheeled us to wherever we wanted to go, for example Windjammer for lunch or if after 1 pm to our cabin. Remember to tip for their service. I have had spinal and hip surgery so know what you are talking about. I hope your surgery corrected your spinal issue and you will be pain free. Mine not so good and am still in pain 24/7.

Enjoy your cruise.

I would definitely recommend Special Needs at Sea, as they supplied me with oxygen for a 2-week B2B cruise. It was in the stateroom waiting for me when I arrived onboard.

Thank you, of course I will tip them well, but actually if I think about it, somebody else may be needing that wheelchair so I just let them get me onto the ship. I don't want to rent a scooter, to me that be more of a hassle as I have my other half to hold onto and I will avoid the most crowded places, not planning on seeing shows maybe the ice show but nothing else and not getting off the ship at ports. I just want to rest and relax on this cruise.

Snit13- I am so sorry to hear your issues didn't all resolve after the surgery, surely they told me the same but the reasons for why I got my surgery did all go away instantly when I woke up after the surgery, I was fortunate, but who knows what happens down the road or whether my bone fusions take or not. I don't like hearing yours didn't work I am so sorry, I know pain trust me and a big hug to you!

Hello,

I just got surgery of my spinal cord and spine, I have a cruise coming up in 6 weeks, doctor says I be fine but cautioned me as I need months for the bone grafting to heal, he suggested I wear my cervical collar when I am walking in uneasy places and in large crowds. I called special assistance and got a wheelchair to get me onto the ship as the ramps of going up and down is not good for me to walk. I have a few questions:

I assume somebody working for RC will push me onto the ship in my wheelchair, do they just push you onto the ship where you board and am I able to ask the person if they can take me to deck 8 so that we can make our ultimate dining reservations? After I get to deck 8, I am able to get out of the wheelchair and avoid the crowds.

WHeelchair assistance is only provided by RCCL on embarkation day and disembarkation day. If the ramps are going to be an issue on port days it's important to know the RCCL does NOT provide any wheelchair assistance for port days. If a wheelchair is necessary during the cruise than you'll have to bring one with you or rent one to be delivered to the ship by on of RCCL's approved vendors http://www.specialneedsatsea.com or http://www.scooteraround.com.

On embarkation day RCCL will drop you off in one of the public areas and the wheelchair will be taken away. You're on your own from that point on. Depending on how many people are waiting for wheelchair assistance will determine if the pusher will be able to take you to deck 8 or not.

Thanks everybody....I won't use the wheelchair than just getting me on as others will need one. I will hold onto my other half while walking around. I am not planning on going into ports, I will stay on the ship and relax. I just need the wheelchair to get me on and off. ;)

Thank you, of course I will tip them well, but actually if I think about it, somebody else may be needing that wheelchair so I just let them get me onto the ship. I don't want to rent a scooter, to me that be more of a hassle as I have my other half to hold onto and I will avoid the most crowded places, not planning on seeing shows maybe the ice show but nothing else and not getting off the ship at ports. I just want to rest and relax on this cruise.

Snit13- I am so sorry to hear your issues didn't all resolve after the surgery, surely they told me the same but the reasons for why I got my surgery did all go away instantly when I woke up after the surgery, I was fortunate, but who knows what happens down the road or whether my bone fusions take or not. I don't like hearing yours didn't work I am so sorry, I know pain trust me and a big hug to you!

Thank You and glad you seem to have had your problem resolved.

I was able to be pushed onto the ship and where I was going. We rented a scooter from Special needs at sea. It was waiting in the room. By the time i got on it to use it, was only an hour until we left port and the scooter was DEAD. I had no way to get around for five nights except a wheelchair. Wheelchairs have a hard time getting around carts in the hallways on smaller ships. It was a miserable trip. I did get a replacement scooter when we got back into port. We were B3b. It worked. If you get a scooter check it out early.

Hello,

No, they will not be pushing you around on the ship. It will be up to you to either bring someone to do that or you can rent a motorized scooter. Embarkation is madness, they need their crew to be available to help all guests. I'm sorry, that sounds rude, not my intention.

I have my other half going but we treated my father in law to this cruise in January for his 79th birthday, he's been a widow for over 42 years and he will need a little help, guess my other half will have one of us on each of his arms haha. I will let them wheel me on the ship then hang on my other half and go about my own way. I also will avoid all crowds, we won't be going to the MDR for dinner we got the Ultimate Dining Package so that be alot easier less crowds to be around. I just have to worry if somebody pushes me or brushes by me accidentally, walks into me or I trip that be the only problem, but I do have somebody I can hold onto. I am able to walk and want to walk, I also have to wear an electrical stimulator four hours a day for the next 6- 8 months, guess I have alot of eyeballs looking at me, too bad its not a halloween cruise. :D

I have my other half going but we treated my father in law to this cruise in January for his 79th birthday, he's been a widow for over 42 years and he will need a little help, guess my other half will have one of us on each of his arms haha. I will let them wheel me on the ship then hang on my other half and go about my own way. I also will avoid all crowds, we won't be going to the MDR for dinner we got the Ultimate Dining Package so that be alot easier less crowds to be around. I just have to worry if somebody pushes me or brushes by me accidentally, walks into me or I trip that be the only problem, but I do have somebody I can hold onto. I am able to walk and want to walk, I also have to wear an electrical stimulator four hours a day for the next 6- 8 months, guess I have alot of eyeballs looking at me, too bad its not a halloween cruise. :D

Would a walker work for you, once you are on the ship? It should provide support, plus alert folks around you and hopefully no one would bump into you.