Is the Cheers program really worth it on a 7-day cruise with only 3 full sea days?

LongHill44

It has already been mentioned about all of the non alcoholic options that are unlimited and included with the Cheers package. Also, alcohol wise, the 3 port days you're back on the ship by 400 and if you go to bed at midnight, that gives you 8 hours to drink 6 drinks. You can't do 3 beers and 3 shots over 8 hours? Personally, I would be smart and go to the Alchemy bar where the mixologists make the best drinks at sea. You also mentioned that your 3 ports are Grand Turk, HMC and Freeport. Before visiting GT and HMC, stock up on unopened beer, bring along a collapsible cooler, ice it up and you're good to go. Regarding Freeport, it's the worst port of any in the Caribbean, stay on board, enjoy the ship and enjoy your Cheers program.

Some people take their first cruise in a balcony and can never go back. I felt the same way after experiencing drink packages on multiple cruise lines. When I'm on vacation it's the only time I do heavy duty drinking and I have alligator arms when drinks will run 25.00+ for two, (which is what 2 run at the Alchemy after gratuity) so the packages are the way to go.

You are the only one that can decide if it is worth it for you. I can say that for me it is worth it. I do not drink a lot, but when you include having a nice glass of wine with dinner, perhaps a specialty coffee after dinner, and whatever umbrella drinks, beer, or mixed drinks you have during the day and evening, it is a good deal for me. Remember, the Cheers program does not include drinks at any of the private islands, so take that into consideration if your itinerary includes one of these islands. Honestly, even if I do not completely "break even" the idea of walking off of the ship without a bar tab, is good enough for me!

OP only you can determine "worth"!

Valid points made:

1) 6-7 drinks (alcoholic) is breakeven

2) Not watching your Bar bill constantly

3) NO bill at the end

4) Allows you to try different drinks, don't like get another.

5) Water, Energy Drinks, Teas, Specialty Coffee, Milkshakes included but DON'T count as part of 15 drink limit.

All of the above make it "worth" it to me.

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I don’t understand when people use the logic of no bill at the end. You just paid upfront, not at the end of cruise. The result is the same.

Because it is all psychological, that's all.

Most stress these days is self-induced, so if folks find a way to reduce that stress, then all the more power to them!

Because it is all psychological, that's all.

Most stress these days is self-induced, so if folks find a way to reduce that stress, then all the more power to them!

It seems to be more stressful trying to figure out ways to get your monies worth, then just enjoying the cruise. The daily breakdowns of coffee, soda, milkshakes, beer, wine, cocktails to break even seems to be more of headache. And yes, I was one of those who did it.

If this helps people psychologically, that’s great but at the end of the day paying in advance or at the end is the same. I just don’t see using this as a reason to get the package valid.

It seems to be more stressful trying to figure out ways to get your monies worth, then just enjoying the cruise. The daily breakdowns of coffee, soda, milkshakes, beer, wine, cocktails to break even seems to be more of headache. And yes, I was one of those who did it.

If this helps people psychologically, that’s great but at the end of the day paying in advance or at the end is the same. I just don’t see using this as a reason to get the package valid.

I guess anyone thinks seeing an 800.00-1,200.00 Bar bill after you've experienced a good time, isn't kind of a downer, so be it.

I would much rather have everything paid for before hand. Yes it is to each his own, I can see how some think the other way.

It's like the argument is the glass 1/2 empty or 1/2 full.

I agree with beerman2...I pay for my Cheers months before the cruise and enjoy seeing my bill at the end of the cruise only be a few $100 vs a few $1000 (if we'd of paid drink by drink), I'm already depressed enough getting off the boat / ending my vacation I just don't need to see that super high bill....I get that cost wise its the same but in a sense I get excited to pay for it a few months ahead of time as I am just getting that much more prepared for my cruise where as seeing it after the cruise not the same lol....

I guess anyone thinks seeing an 800.00-1,200.00 Bar bill after you've experienced a good time, isn't kind of a downer, so be it.

I would much rather have everything paid for before hand. Yes it is to each his own, I can see how some think the other way.

It's like the argument is the glass 1/2 empty or 1/2 full.

I understand people like to pay in advance for budgeting reasons, like prepaying gratuities or excursions. Perhaps I misinterpret ones comment when I see that used as rationale for getting Cheers.

If you are not BIG drinkers, and BOTH need to purchase the drink package, it is not a good buy. You will not come out ahead. That being said, I always purchase the package when traveling with the guys and only need to purchase 1 for myself. Then it is great value!!! Save a few bucks and pay as you go!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums