Things to do in Tampa/ Ybor City

cmonaco27

We leave on a Royal Caribbean Cruise from Tampa on March 11th. We arrive in Tampa on March 10th around 4 PM. By the time we get our bags and get to the hotel, I'm thinking it will be around 5 PM. What are some must see things, things to do, or "must try" places to eat/drink, when we only have a few hours, in the Ybor City area?

FOR OP

the 'go to place' in YBOR is the Columbia restaurant ... for the old school folks anyway

been there forever .... HUGE ... and always busy ... a reservation is recommended but I've been seated in under an hour without one on a Friday ..... and you can order full menu from the bar ....

it is at the east end of 7th Ave so far as YBOR is concerned .... you'd not want to venture east of here on your own ....

all of the YBOR entertainment is on 7th Ave IMO .... two blocks off is where I'd not recommend exploring on your own

On 7th you'll find a good number of places to imbibe and an assortment of food. YBOR is supposed to be Cuban, or Latin at least, so I'd recommend leaning that direction menu choice wize and Columbia fits that bill http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/Menus-By-Location/Locations/Ybor-City-Historic-District

At Columbia I'd get the Cuban mix and a pitcher of Sangria ... mixed tableside .... for a first visit.

however I would mention there is a really good little Italian place (not pizza joint) La Terrazza Restaurant

p.s. if in Tampa and not afraid to taxi or UBER

Consistently rated as one of the top 10 steak places in the US AND the restaurant with arguably the LARGEST wine list in the world

https://bernssteakhouse.com/

don't skip dessert .... a totally sep' dining room, just for dessert ..... and if you ask you can view the kitchen and the wine cellar ..... if you do these things it is not 'dinner' but an evening of entertainment!

I go to Columbia when I can't get in to Bern's

Edited by Capt_BJ

Have you stayed here? I've heard a lot of good things about this hotel, but also some negative reviews. It is looking like a good option though- I like the free shuttle to the port.

I have not stayed here but it is mentioned quite often on these boards by cruisers who want to stay at Ybor City.

We usually stay at the Marriott Waterside or Embassy Suites downtown.

We generally stay at the Hampton in Ybor. We've stayed there 5 or 6 times and have never had any negative issues. Yes, that last block back to the hotel is a bit sketchy. Hampton has a free shuttle to the ship. Capt.BJ gave great recommendations. We also like Bernini's, and there is a good Greek place.

M

FOR OP

the 'go to place' in YBOR is the Columbia restaurant ... for the old school folks anyway

been there forever .... HUGE ... and always busy ... a reservation is recommended but I've been seated in under an hour without one on a Friday ..... and you can order full menu from the bar ....

it is at the east end of 7th Ave so far as YBOR is concerned .... you'd not want to venture east of here on your own ....

all of the YBOR entertainment is on 7th Ave IMO .... two blocks off is where I'd not recommend exploring on your own

On 7th you'll find a good number of places to imbibe and an assortment of food. YBOR is supposed to be Cuban, or Latin at least, so I'd recommend leaning that direction menu choice wize and Columbia fits that bill http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/Menus-By-Location/Locations/Ybor-City-Historic-District

At Columbia I'd get the Cuban mix and a pitcher of Sangria ... mixed tableside .... for a first visit.

however I would mention there is a really good little Italian place (not pizza joint) La Terrazza Restaurant

p.s. if in Tampa and not afraid to taxi or UBER

Consistently rated as one of the top 10 steak places in the US AND the restaurant with arguably the LARGEST wine list in the world

https://bernssteakhouse.com/

don't skip dessert .... a totally sep' dining room, just for dessert ..... and if you ask you can view the kitchen and the wine cellar ..... if you do these things it is not 'dinner' but an evening of entertainment!

I go to Columbia when I can't get in to Bern's

Lots of great info- thanks! Sangria mixed tableside sounds awesome! I put Columbia on my list of a possible place to try! Thanks so much.