Portofino or Cinque Terre

TravelingTexasGal

I know this topic has already come up but it really hasn't helped me make a decision yet. I am currently booked off of the Crown Princess in June for the Cinque Terre tour, which I have never seen. I've seen Positano so, my first question is, how does it compare to that area, which was gorgeous? I would like to know, from anyone who has been to both, what would be the reason that might change my mind to the tour to Portofino? I am very in between right now and not sure which one I should take. They are the same cost and same number of hours. I guess I would like to know which is better for eating and for shopping. I'm not a hiker so much but I don't mind a hike if one is involved. I don't shop at high end designer stores - I like the local artisans and stores.

Keep your booking for Cinque Terre, I think it’s more of what you’re looking for especially in regards to shopping. Portofino is known for its high end luxury shopping. Cinque Terre is still a bit more artisanal when it comes to shopping.

While both are on the sea and you can expect seafood, the style of cooking differs up north than from the south and of course it’s wonderful. Try some of the different wines too, if it suits you.

Cinque Terre is known for its wonderful hike through the “five hills” but you needn’t do all of it; you can just take a short hike in one area that fits your plans and enjoy that experience which is part of the allure of visiting.

Lastly, they are both indeed gorgeous...Cinque Terre wasn’t so much on people’s radar until maybe 10-12 years ago when it wasn’t very widely visited and so it still has much of its colorful picturesque “old fishing village perched on a hill by the sea” imagery of postcards, books and movies.

I’m pretty sure you’re going to fall in love with it. My aunt & uncle are headed there in April and I’m very jealous. Glad you got to see Positano which is another reason why I think it’s just fine now that you visit CT.

Buon Viaggio

Portofino is very, very small, but exceptionally beautiful! Cinque Terre, along with Portovenere, just south of CT, will all be very busy due to summer. You will want to come back and definite visit Portofino when you have more time and also visit Santa Margareta!

For sure, you will get the most bang for your buck in CT, while being able to pick from a variety of restaurants in each of the small villages. I always stay at the northernmost, Monterosso, as it is larger and a great place for three days or more.

If I was on Tapatalk, I would upload a few pics, but unfortunately, I am not.

We did the Cinque Terra tour offered by Princess and it was quite good. You didn’t say where the Crown is in port that day, we were in Livorno and the distance was too much for us to consider doing Cinque Terra independently. The tour we did visited three of the villages, combination of bus (to get back and forth to ship), boat and train. Partial walking tour of the villages and time on our own in each which we used to have a light lunch, wander around and shop. You did not have the option to walk between the villages on the tour.

Charming little villages and beautiful views!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums