Airport to Port - time

Katesowner

We are caught between 2 airlines. Our American flight from the US is due at HKG at 5:30 p.m. More than 6 months ago, we booked a United flight from HKG to Singapore leaving around 9 p.m. Later United cancelled their flight and booked us on Singapore Air leaving HKG at 7:55 p.m., a tight connection for us particularly since we won’t be able to check bags through.

Singapore Airlines would not deal with us directly because United had made the reservation. We asked to be on the next day 8 a,m, flight, but United put us on the 9:05 a.m. flight, arriving at Singapore’s airport 1 hour and 55 minutes before our cruise ship (NCLJewel) says we must be on board.

There are 50+ seats left on the 8 a.m. Singapore flight. Singapore Air-says they’re available but must be bought by United since they did the original booking. United says they can’t book the flight because Singapore doesn’t let them have access to all the inventory. United tells us to continue to call in case something becomes available. Both airlines say they’re so sorry, but neither one will budge.

This is way too much information. Can anyone tell me about how long it takes to get our bags and go through Immigration in Singapore? Google says the distance to the port is Are 115 minutes enough time to do that and reach the port?

If you can get a refund or credit, you can buy the tickets on the 8 am flight outright.
Another option is to get a HKG-SIN ticket on Scoot at 2135 on 9 March so that you can at least overnight in Singapore rather than Hong Kong, and to treat that as your primary plan. That would be just over USD 100 one way. If all goes well, that gives you 4 hours between flights in Hong Kong, which would be enough even with the sometimes frustratingly slow baggage delivery there.

You would probably want to keep the original ticket on SQ at 0905 on 10 March as a backup plan in case you miss the Scoot the previous evening.

But if you wanted to buy a new cash ticket on SQ at 0800 on 10 March, that would be about USD 400 one-way. It's actually cheaper to buy on that flight than on the 0905, so it's a bit puzzling trying to divine what UA is on about in relation to availability - unless that HKG-SIN ticket is a mileage award ticket.

You would need to have hotel reservations in both Hong Kong and Singapore for the night of 9 March, but you may be able to find rates that you can no-show for without penalty.

As for your original question, I've seen nothing to suggest that Singapore airport's immigration and baggage delivery is anything other than efficient and fast, although I haven't actually entered Singapore myself for some years. However, that's not really your biggest risk; that is that the 0905 flight has a small technical problem and gets delayed for 3 hours, as is not uncommon.

I would want to be in Singapore the night before sailing. Your same day window is tight and, as noted, doesn't allow for any sort of delay. My understanding of US law entitles you to full refund airline cancels a flight. Although it's an international flight your contract was entered into in USA and United is an American carrier, so you should be fine. Then buy those 2135 tickets. Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app