Conquest questions

SLL

Would like to hear from anyone that has gotten off Conquest this last Sunday to see how your cruise went.

Also, this will be our first time on Conquest. We are thinking about doing an excursion at Grand Cayman with Captain Marvins, but we don't know anything about the tendering process or time differences so we are nervous. If you have been on the Conquest, would you please explain the tendering process, time differences, etc. Such as, how long should it take to tender to pier, what happens tender wise when you don't book tours through Carnival (do they make you wait till the last to get off)? What is the earliest that we should book a tour and what is the latest we should get back for the tender to the ship?

Lastly, any hints or ideas on things we might need to know before our cruise in 13 days.

Thank you

Tendering process-- people who have booked an excursion through Carnival have the right to get off first for the tenders.

Conquest gives out tender tickets. I suggest trying to get yours before you go to breakfast. (dont stress- you will get off sooner or later)

Capt MArvins comes highly recommeneded from the posters on cruise criitc. Someone fromhis tour company will be at the pier. (its VERY crowded) Just look for someone holding a poster with his name on it.

Tendering back-- lines are very long. You read your capers and it will tell you what time to be ON the ship. Not the tendered line. Pay attention to what time the last tender will be leaving.

The cruise that ended Sunday was not able to go to Grand Cayman. The port authorities would not allow tendering due to weather. We had another "Fun Day at Sea."

I can only comment on tendering at Cozumel: I assume that it's similar. Getting off and back on went very smoothly. Those who had booked an excursion were able to get off first. They never said that it had to booked through Carnival for the early tender.

We were told to be back on the boat 30 minutes before departure time. They made it clear that they would leave you if you weren't there. The exception to this is if you are booked through Carnival. They said that if you are with a Carnival booked excursion, they won't leave you. That's just one more way to encourage the bookings through them.

Hopfully, someone who got off on the 18th will answer. They went to Grand Cayman.

If you're able, bring your own water. Carnivalmade a big deal of providing it. When were leaving, they offered bottles for 2.50 and 3.50.

If you have been on the Conquest, would you please explain the tendering process, time differences, etc. Such as, how long should it take to tender to pier, what happens tender wise when you don't book tours through Carnival (do they make you wait till the last to get off)? What is the earliest that we should book a tour and what is the latest we should get back for the tender to the ship?
We were in Grand Cayman on the Conquest December 15th. We booked a tour through Sotos. It was great, I highly recommend them, but I've also heard great things about Captain Marvin's.

Grand Cayman is on Eastern time. The Conquest changed it's clocks to Eastern time for Jamaica and Grand Cayman, then back to Central time for Cozumel, so port time and ship time will be the same.

In Grand Cayman they called all the people with morning Carnival excursions first, then let others tender. I sent my husband to get tender numbers for us. He got #1 but panicked and gave them away because he thought me and my mother weren't going to get up there before #1 was called. As it turned out, they were still boarding Carnival excursions when we got there. We got tender # 3. It didn't matter because they called #s 1, 2, and 3 all together. We got on the island at about 8:00 am. We were supposed to meet or tour at 8:30 a couple of blocks from the pier so we shopped a little first.

Have a great time!

Tendering means that the water near the island is too shallow for the ships to get close, or in cozumel, there is no port to pull up to and dock (tie the ship to). When you tender, the anchor is dropped and you must get on a smaller boat to take you to the island.

to add, may seem simplistic and I don't mean to offend. A tender is a small ship or boat, either the life boats (only a few) or grand cayman boats holding about 50-100 people will take people exiting literally off the side of the ship off stairs onto these small boats. personale is there to help you on the stairs, and despite seeing some movement of the small boat, your few steps across are safe.

the smaller boats then take you to the main land. Because there are so many passengers trying to get to land and generally only two exits with boats to load, a wait occurs. once full, you must wait for the tender boats to take the passengers to the island, wait for them to depart, return to the ship, re-tie up and reboard the next group. So try to be patient, although you're excited for your excursion to begin.

Know that you need to allow yourself 30-45 minutes for tendering process. So if you need to be on the ship at 5pm, know that there will be a line of people waiting for the tender ships ahead of you, you really need to be there a bit after 4pm.

Now, the ship really won't leave with a long line of tendering passengers still on land...... but there will be a point where no one is waiting.... the tenders will stop and you can be left on land.... It literally has happened on all of our 5 cruises where passengers don't make it back.

This does waste at least an hour or more total of your port times, but seven mile beach is beautiful, the Marriot was very gracious to us as they were rebuilding on our last April visit and it was well worth the time.

hope this helps

carol

Sorry, was on the tendering thing and forgot about the conquest. The Conquest was my kids favorite ship. They were about 10, 12 and 16 at the time. There are excellent camp carnival activities that go on. there is a teen hang out, next to the arcade on the promanade deck (5), where all the adult stuff goes on at night. After dinner it was very difficult to spend time with the kids because they went right to camp and left us.... a sure sign of a good time. In addition, the kids met up with and naturally hung out with new friends, calling each other and making plans for the next day. The ship is naturally very sociable for teens and the councelors great.

JUST be SURE to register the kids on day one, get the itinerary for them for day two, encourage them to attend. Remind them that many of the kids show up late for activities, so hang out a bit and wait.

They will have an incredible time....two of my three are cruising addicted and can't understand how school won't let them out 3 weeks a year so they can cruise more and we won't have an adult cruise... minus them:D

I am leaving for the Conquest in a week...way excited...just wanted to thank all for the comments. Our last cruise (also our first) we became cruise junkies and have booked 2 more...It will become an anual trip.

I agree with the camp carnival comment. Our kids were 4, 7, and 13 and we are always concerned with the vacation plans because of the age gap. Our kids were up and ready to go to their camp before breakfast. and we had to beg to spend time with them. My daughter still e-mails the friends she made and cant wait for the next one. (We are leaving them with Grammy so we can celebrate our anniversary....by the way...Moms will get very spoiled with the dining staff. THey cut my kids steak and were at their every beck and call....I got hot meals!!:p

I will let you know how the trip goes when I return!

Archived