More activities for wheelchair user?

muskrat897

As a wheelchair user, I cannot participate in the athletic contests, pool games, gym, dances, etc. I think it would be nice for the cruise lines to institute more cerebral activies such as advanced computer classes, quiz contests, moderated discussion groups, travelogues, learn-a-language, book talks, accessible tours, etc. Anyone else agree?

David

:)

As I remember, having been on several "Fun Ship" cruises pre-chair, Carnival does have a few games such as TV Show Trivia and bingo he can participate in. I hope you checked on accessibility of the ports you are visiting.

David

Well, my youngest is an L2 para and she loves to dance in her wheelchair and she won a dance contest she has great moves. (her sister on the other hand just doesn't have it).

My oldest is an L1 para and she is a fish in water, she swims on her high school swim team all arms her legs just drag.

On Princess they have classes at sea where they offer computer, photo, and other things. They also have ceramics you can buy and paint.

Tours it depends where you sail to. If it's Alaska it's in the US so it's not that bad because of the ADA.

We are booked for the accessible tour in St. Thomas and I have booked a private tour in St. Marrten with someone that has a van and knows that we have two wheelchairs.

I am AB and my mother uses a wheelchair. I have never enjoyed pool games or other forms of humiliation, or considered them fun. We look for cruise lines that offer lectures, classes, films, and other events. We enjoy trivia and play it religiously. Bingo and art sales bore us to death. Princess offers trivia 2X daily on sea days, and is one of the few cruise lines that also offers it on days at sea. We prefer HAL or their movie theater (and now, cooking classes too). Crystal is excellent for educational programs including celebrity lecturers, classical music concerts, films, and other activities. Most ships now offer computer and digital photography classes (for a fee).

Well, my youngest is an L2 para and she loves to dance in her wheelchair and she won a dance contest she has great moves. (her sister on the other hand just doesn't have it).

My oldest is an L1 para and she is a fish in water, she swims on her high school swim team all arms her legs just drag.

On Princess they have classes at sea where they offer computer, photo, and other things. They also have ceramics you can buy and paint.

Tours it depends where you sail to. If it's Alaska it's in the US so it's not that bad because of the ADA.

We are booked for the accessible tour in St. Thomas and I have booked a private tour in St. Marrten with someone that has a van and knows that we have two wheelchairs.

Would you be able to share the name and contact info for the St. Maarten tour? We are traveling next Oct and on our last cruise were unable to locate wheelchair accessible info for St. Maarten.

Thanks!

Hi I use a scooter. I play triva, go to movies, shows, sing-alongs, play cards and go in hot tubs. There is bingo, art auctions (don't buy but learn some things about art in gereral), music, people watching and conversation with table mates and others. As for shore ex it depends on your own likes. If you want to learn about the islands hire a private taxi and transfer using a board and go around on your own.

Would you be able to share the name and contact info for the St. Maarten tour? We are traveling next Oct and on our last cruise were unable to locate wheelchair accessible info for St. Maarten.

Thanks!

We are using Joyce Prince. You can find out a lot about her on the St Martten board. I sent her and email letting her know I had 2 girls in wheelchairs and since she had a mini van and there are only 4 of us would it be possible to do her tour. She sent an email saying she was open for the day we want and didnt' see a problem.

We are sailing next month so I will report back our experience.

Cindy

My husband is a chair user for any distance, he is a t-11 incomplete para, he can walk short distances with a cane and a brace....didn't have many problems on the ship...except table placement up the stairs in the dining room. It was kind of a pain but we managed.

He did shore excursions....dolphin encounter, sting rays and some snorkeling, getting into the water was difficult but worth it. We also toured Atlantis...which we enjoyed.

We are using Joyce Prince. You can find out a lot about her on the St Martten board. I sent her and email letting her know I had 2 girls in wheelchairs and since she had a mini van and there are only 4 of us would it be possible to do her tour. She sent an email saying she was open for the day we want and didnt' see a problem.

We are sailing next month so I will report back our experience.

Cindy

Thanks, Cindy. Will look forward to your report. Had not heard of any lift vans in St Maarten so will be great if she has one!

Enjoy!

Patti

• 1 month later...

Archived