Oporto

cocowills

does anyone know do they do shuttle buses to Oporto centre

Yes they do as it is about 20 to 30 mins. From ship to the centre.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes they do as it is about 20 to 30 mins. From ship to the centre.

Dai, we will be in Oporto in June. I know it is meant to be very hilly but would you say it is worth going on the shuttle just to have a mooch about, even just to have a drink somewhere or would be be better just stay at Leixoes. x

Dai, we will be in Oporto in June. I know it is meant to be very hilly but would you say it is worth going on the shuttle just to have a mooch about, even just to have a drink somewhere or would be be better just stay at Leixoes. x

Well it depends on how well you can push the wheelchair up hills. The shuttle bus is at the top of a hill and so you have to push uphill to get back to the bus. Most of the hills are quite steep, think Grey Street in Newcastle. At the bottom. The thing is that it is constant. No flat areas in the centre. I managed on my scooter. What about the HOHO bus if it is adapted?

Does anyone know where the shuttle buses drop you in Porto? We fancy doing our own walking tour, but are wondering what is realistic to include.

Last year we found the shuttle bus drove past the riviera, then went up the hill a lot and dropped us off in a relative middle of nowhere. So if you want to get to the riviera you have to go down the hill, then remember where to get the bus from; wasn’t too difficult.

Dan

Well it depends on how well you can push the wheelchair up hills. The shuttle bus is at the top of a hill and so you have to push uphill to get back to the bus. Most of the hills are quite steep, think Grey Street in Newcastle. At the bottom. The thing is that it is constant. No flat areas in the centre. I managed on my scooter. What about the HOHO bus if it is adapted?

Haha, I am usually good at banks but think you have made my mind up for me. We stayed on the ship last time we were there so it looks like I will be doing the same again. x Thanks for replying xx

Last year we found the shuttle bus drove past the riviera, then went up the hill a lot and dropped us off in a relative middle of nowhere. So if you want to get to the riviera you have to go down the hill, then remember where to get the bus from; wasn’t too difficult.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I don’t suppose you remember any land marks where the shuttle bus dropped you off? We’d like to walk round some of the town at the top of the hill, but don’t want to walk too far - before heading down to the riviera.

Thanks Dan. I don’t suppose you remember any land marks where the shuttle bus dropped you off? We’d like to walk round some of the town at the top of the hill, but don’t want to walk too far - before heading down to the riviera.

Sorry for late response, I don’t remember anything really really specifically - I don’t think there was anything famous but I recall there being a structure not dissimilar to a clock tower - perhaps 3 stories high?? Even though the streets are relatively twisty and the buildings are tall, if you can remember roughly you are you should be fine, as I wouldn’t say it’s particularly easy to get lost. You can usually see where the British tourists are from a mile off anyway, so head for the clusters [emoji38]

Dan

does anyone know do they do shuttle buses to Oporto centre

Immediately outside the port doors was two buses. One went to the port gates and the other said Oporto.

We were heading for the one to the gate but went on the Oporto one instead.

Being new to both cruising and traveling I started to panic when after 15 minutes we had not reached our destination, not knowing where we were going.

Not long after, though it felt like it, we reached Oporto. The bus stopped in a street next to what looked like a small park/ garden.

Just past that was the town square with the clock/church or town hall someone else mentioned.

We stayed on the bus for the return journey. The people waiting to return were a lot more than a bus full.

Parked on the other side of the narrow street to the bus were some small vehicles for hire. A bit like one of the carriages on the small land trains, with the driver in front. I don't know what they are called.

Haha, I am usually good at banks but think you have made my mind up for me. We stayed on the ship last time we were there so it looks like I will be doing the same again. x Thanks for replying xx

Immediately outside of the port gates and to the left is a small park to walk through. At the other side is some cafes/restaurants with outside seating.

There was some roadworks going on when we were there last June.

If you turn right out of the gates there is a promenade and beach. We sat on the wall watching everyone go by. I think there was an ice cream shop just at the start. Lots of people were just sitting or lying on the wall. It really is very nice.

I'm not sure from yours and I think it was Dais conversation, whether you have a wheelchair or if it was just our northern humour. But if you do the promenade is good for them.

Maybe we will see you on there in June.

My son has been to the match tonight but didn't say how they did.

Immediately outside of the port gates and to the left is a small park to walk through. At the other side is some cafes/restaurants with outside seating.

If you turn right out of the gates there is a promenade and beach. We sat on the wall watching everyone go by. I think there was an ice cream shop just at the start. Lots of people were just sitting or lying on the wall. It really is very nice.

I'm not sure from yours and I think it was Dais conversation, whether you have a wheelchair or if it was just our northern humour. But if you do the promenade is good for them.

Thanks for replying, I was wondering if there was anything to do just in Lexioes.. Dai knows that my husband is a wheelchair user so I didn't need to tell him. It will be good to have a fellow mackem on board. We went to the match but no different to all the other games unfortunately. Need someone with money who wants to spend it on players. :(:(:(100 days and counting . x Say hello if you see us on board.

Oporto is a beautiful place; much better than Lisbon in my opinion. We took the ship's shuttle which drops you off in the town centre and then used the map provided to find and walk over the Dom Luis bridge. The views over the Douro are stunning. There's a cable car on the other side that takes you down to the banks of the river and the ticket we bought included a tasting at one of the port houses there.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this info. we are also there in June and as my wife is a wheelchair user it sounds as though staying in Leixoes will be our preferred option.