An insanely detailed Seaside Yacht Club Review!

Dr. Cocktail

Loved your review, informative, truthful and exactly how you saw it.

I have been in the YC on Divina several times and next month I'll be on Seaside for 2 weeks. I'm excited and like you feel some of these off kilter things won't stop my fun or keep me from going on MSC and being in the YC.

Thanks for your honesty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

"Over the course of the week, the odour would ebb and flow there and in the atrium, our friend’s inside Yacht Club Suite and most glaringly, at Roy’s."

Dr. Cocktail... Were your friends able to enjoy their cabin? We are staying in an inside YC cabin in April and it will be awful to sleep in a smelly cabin. I really appreciate your thorough review, thank you for taking the time to write it.

I was in 16025 inside YC last week and there was no smell at all in the cabin.

Loved your review, informative, truthful and exactly how you saw it.

I have been in the YC on Divina several times and next month I'll be on Seaside for 2 weeks. I'm excited and like you feel some of these off kilter things won't stop my fun or keep me from going on MSC and being in the YC.

Thanks for your honesty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

You will have a great time!

Thanks for your comments!

Dr cocktail and formula- i hope you don’t mind but I quoted you in a thread about the sewage smell. Im always shocked when i read people quoting me without my knowledge. No disrespect intended- I was just trying to make a point.

Ps- Thanks again to both of you for sharing your experiences!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem at all.

We've only been cruising since 2008, we're cruising more and more, and cruisecritic members experiences have provided so much insight for us.

Last nights show was OK until these two ripped performers did physical acts that were unbelievable. Prior to them, a guy on a uni-circle-sphere was 'insanely good.

Today at first non-cancelled port, ship pretty empty. We enjoyed the zip line, repeatedly until exhausted, then did the water slides, repeatedly.

On ONE trip UP THE STAIRS to the zipline, ONCE, there was a massive, blown discharge of sewage smell. It didn't persist, it was like 'blown off. Just once out of almost 8 trips.

Breakfast today at YC was the the first time they made a custom Green Smoothie for me; it truly is a dietary thing and they were so accommodating (they tried it and said they wouldn't drink it :o). It was almost perfect and very appreciated.

Some great staff?

YC restaurant, of course, Arthur. Enough said. The Sommelier is very good also; she introduced some new wines last night. Impressive.

YC pool and grill (which the biggest positive surprise of the YC), there is Roy, we believe to be an in-training YC Butler and waitstaff for the bar, and Olin, a POOL ATTENDANT, who should be immediately transferred to the YC waitstaff and Butler program. BOTH have engaging personalities, and WORK FOR REAL.

GREAT TIME.

No problem at all.

We've only been cruising since 2008, we're cruising more and more, and cruisecritic members experiences have provided so much insight for us.

Last nights show was OK until these two ripped performers did physical acts that were unbelievable. Prior to them, a guy on a uni-circle-sphere was 'insanely good.

Today at first non-cancelled port, ship pretty empty. We enjoyed the zip line, repeatedly until exhausted, then did the water slides, repeatedly.

On ONE trip UP THE STAIRS to the zipline, ONCE, there was a massive, blown discharge of sewage smell. It didn't persist, it was like 'blown off. Just once out of almost 8 trips.

Breakfast today at YC was the the first time they made a custom Green Smoothie for me; it truly is a dietary thing and they were so accommodating (they tried it and said they wouldn't drink it :o). It was almost perfect and very appreciated.

Some great staff?

YC restaurant, of course, Arthur. Enough said. The Sommelier is very good also; she introduced some new wines last night. Impressive.

YC pool and grill (which the biggest positive surprise of the YC), there is Roy, we believe to be an in-training YC Butler and waitstaff for the bar, and Olin, a POOL ATTENDANT, who should be immediately transferred to the YC waitstaff and Butler program. BOTH have engaging personalities, and WORK FOR REAL.

GREAT TIME.

I was wondering if yacht club is charged for zipline? If it is, how much does zipline cost? Thanks

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

No problem at all.

Some great staff?

GREAT TIME.

Totally agree about OLIN he is fantastic and so very helpful and there is also OLENA she is a butler that helps out in the YC pool area.

Awesome info. Can you comment about shade availability at the yc pool in lounge chairs (not tables sitting). Thank you in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can move 2 loungers over by the entrance of the YC pool and there is shade there or you can rent a cabana.

They can move 2 loungers over by the entrance of the YC pool and there is shade there or you can rent a cabana.

Hi Riclop!

We tried to move the chairs ourselves and they literally ran to help us - there was never really a major problem and I had been quite concerned before.

Sadly, no lobster tails at all on the grill but a spectacular lobster salad on the last day! I'm wondering if it depends on what was left from "lobster night"?

I'm booked on the Seaside for next December, and have been on the Divina in the YC. There is no shade where the lounges are, but as the previous poster said, y can move them. The only shade is by the tables. I believe they don't have umbrellas at the 1Pool is because the wind would make them a shambles in no time. Don't say they can close them in high wind, because we all know that people will open them anyway.

I love it! We were on the Feb 24 cruise with you in the YC as well. You know, your review is spot on in the sense that the Seaside is both kind of a train wreck, but we still loved the experience (in fact, I just reserved a YC cruise on the Meraviglia for the fall of 2019 for one of the NE cruises out of NYC).

I'll probably write my own review this weekend focusing more on where I think MSC makes sense for the North American market. I fully agree that the ship and line is definitely not for everyone (or even most) in the US cruise market, but there is definitely an argument for why MSC's increased participation in the NA market is a good thing over all.

Hi Riclop!

We tried to move the chairs ourselves and they literally ran to help us - there was never really a major problem and I had been quite concerned before.

Sadly, no lobster tails at all on the grill but a spectacular lobster salad on the last day! I'm wondering if it depends on what was left from "lobster night"?

Hi Dr Cocktail, yes the pool guys are awesome especially OLIN they are always there to help and they had many lobsters on Friday March 1.

Seems the shade question was discussed ad nauseam by many of the same people posting here. Check this thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2606211

Will be in the YC on the 3/24 sailing. If there is shade there, I'll find it, as I was genetically engineered to live in a swamp.;p;p ;p

If you find shade please share. We couldn’t find shade anywhere outside on Divina. The overhang around the main pool area has kiosks selling assorted snacks and tables and chairs on which to enjoy them but no loungers. The best we could do is find some loungers against a wall that had about 1 1/2 hrs of shade before we were in full sun again. This was on a port day so the ship was virtually empty. The only other option was the covered pool area which was hot humid and uncomfortable. We loved everything else about Yacht Club but the shade issue is a deal breaker for us. Obviously we are a minority because It’s still an issue. Doesn’t make sense to me because the Yacht Club Pool was always nearly empty.

If you check the link I posted you'll find that the general consensus is that there is limited shade however it is dependent on time of day, ship position, etc.

Most have found shade but requires periodic repositioning of lounge chairs.

Update.

Another great day at port and staying on ship. Got to really check it out and have a much better feel for the entire ship.

Had a disappointing experience with YC Dinner Restaurant menu not posted as several couples usually gather to read from mid afternoon on. It was never put out in the Lounge. So I ventured up and a fully dressed waitstaff (??) told me "we will put it out before dinner." Rather cold. I told him "we'd like to plan whether to eat in YC or reserve specialty or check out buffet." He repeated "we will put it out before dinner."

So we, along with 2 other couples, just went to Roy's Asian specialty again.

1. The special Roy's Chicken Wings (yep, you got that right) were the BEST chicken wings we've had (on land or at sea). As good as Morimoto's ribs at Disney Springs (a top 10 must).

2. Shockingly, the Futomaki (which I have everywhere) was also the BEST I've ever had. TOTALLY AWESOME EXPERIENCE FOR THE SECOND TIME.

So, you might wonder, why not the YC Dinner? HONESTLY, it is a REAL NOTCH OR TWO BELOW OUR EXPERIENCE IN LE MUSE ON DIVINA "LAST YEAR."

The 'menu is just not there.

The 'execution is just not there; had 3 lamb chops (rare/medium rare) and got one medium, one medium well and one that could be used to fill potholes in the Northeast. What I don't get is, how does the cook do this, then how does it get by the pass?

Finally, they've ELIMINATED the LIVE COOKING that we loved the most on Divina. We are told it will be ONE NIGHT. A shame. It was so 'homey to walk into Le Muse and smell that Italian sauces. IT IS A REAL BAD DECISION TO ELIMINATE THIS.

The YC Grille 'continues to ROCK. Haven't seen the lobster tails, but the fish selection and preparation has been so unexpected and over the top. Biggest surprise so far.

SHADE is a requirement for my wife. OLIN makes sure she has SHADE every day. He knows the ship, the sea day, the port days. ADMITTEDLY, there should be some modifications for some sea shell canopies or, as novel as it sounds, UMBRELLAS.

SMELL notice nowhere around the ship at all; EXCEPT when we went zip-lining (no line, over and over and over on port days). The entire 5 deck walk up was BRUTAL. The WORST EVER. Scale of 10, 25!!!

Talked to the "staff" in the area (don't want to get them in trouble), they had engineers on the ship again last week (clearly, it is not solved). IMO, "staff" said that they were "venting" when we were at the zipline ALONE. I noticed an officer and kindly smiled and asked "have you ever heard of Fabreze?" He smiled, didn't laugh. Honestly, they can SCENT the venting until they figure it out; it is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

Hope some of this helps someone.

Having a BLAST.

Update.

Another great day at port and staying on ship. Got to really check it out and have a much better feel for the entire ship.

Had a disappointing experience with YC Dinner Restaurant menu not posted as several couples usually gather to read from mid afternoon on. It was never put out in the Lounge. So I ventured up and a fully dressed waitstaff (??) told me "we will put it out before dinner." Rather cold. I told him "we'd like to plan whether to eat in YC or reserve specialty or check out buffet." He repeated "we will put it out before dinner."

So we, along with 2 other couples, just went to Roy's Asian specialty again.

1. The special Roy's Chicken Wings (yep, you got that right) were the BEST chicken wings we've had (on land or at sea). As good as Morimoto's ribs at Disney Springs (a top 10 must).

2. Shockingly, the Futomaki (which I have everywhere) was also the BEST I've ever had. TOTALLY AWESOME EXPERIENCE FOR THE SECOND TIME.

So, you might wonder, why not the YC Dinner? HONESTLY, it is a REAL NOTCH OR TWO BELOW OUR EXPERIENCE IN LE MUSE ON DIVINA "LAST YEAR."

The 'menu is just not there.

The 'execution is just not there; had 3 lamb chops (rare/medium rare) and got one medium, one medium well and one that could be used to fill potholes in the Northeast. What I don't get is, how does the cook do this, then how does it get by the pass?

Finally, they've ELIMINATED the LIVE COOKING that we loved the most on Divina. We are told it will be ONE NIGHT. A shame. It was so 'homey to walk into Le Muse and smell that Italian sauces. IT IS A REAL BAD DECISION TO ELIMINATE THIS.

The YC Grille 'continues to ROCK. Haven't seen the lobster tails, but the fish selection and preparation has been so unexpected and over the top. Biggest surprise so far.

SHADE is a requirement for my wife. OLIN makes sure she has SHADE every day. He knows the ship, the sea day, the port days. ADMITTEDLY, there should be some modifications for some sea shell canopies or, as novel as it sounds, UMBRELLAS.

SMELL notice nowhere around the ship at all; EXCEPT when we went zip-lining (no line, over and over and over on port days). The entire 5 deck walk up was BRUTAL. The WORST EVER. Scale of 10, 25!!!

Talked to the "staff" in the area (don't want to get them in trouble), they had engineers on the ship again last week (clearly, it is not solved). IMO, "staff" said that they were "venting" when we were at the zipline ALONE. I noticed an officer and kindly smiled and asked "have you ever heard of Fabreze?" He smiled, didn't laugh. Honestly, they can SCENT the venting until they figure it out; it is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

Hope some of this helps someone.

Having a BLAST.

Want to know if you have to pay to zipline in yacht club? If so, how much does it cost? Thanjs

Sorry, but could you explain further what Roy's is like?

Is it more like a Teppanaki (BeniHana) place with a grille, sit down, sushi. ?

Wanted to pick one Black Card Dinner and maybe one more. Roy's is not included in the Black Card dinner, is it?

Not happy to hear the smell is still continuing.:(

Want to know if you have to pay to zipline in yacht club? If so, how much does it cost? Thanjs

Zipline and water slides all free for entire week for Yacht Club. They gave us each a band good for the entire week.

Sorry, but could you explain further what Roy's is like?

Is it more like a Teppanaki (BeniHana) place with a grille, sit down, sushi. ?

Wanted to pick one Black Card Dinner and maybe one more. Roy's is not included in the Black Card dinner, is it?

Not happy to hear the smell is still continuing.:(

Roys is described as 3 experiences; IMO really 2. Teppanyaki (more below) and an Asian restaurant; which is segmented into MEAL PLANS (for certain price amounts), a full menu of sushi sashimi and nigiri options (including combos), a number of starter/app options, and some high end entre fish and other Roy inspired Asian dishes. It is QUITE IMPRESSIVE.

We were asked if we wanted to use our Black Card for the first night and they started to explain what was and wasn't included and we declined so can't really give a complete answer.

We went inside to watch the Teppanyaki. It was packed and rowdy participation. We've been to similar venues on each of the other lines we've sailed that had one. This is larger and very festive. We're told 7-9 courses or experiences (didn't observe). They offer, I believe, 3 levels (price) of experiences with the top being the Wagyu beef (for us, small portion eaters, like taste) would be what we'll have next week.

We haven't had anything there yet that wasn't less than spectacular.