service charge question

C cruise

I was given a cabin credit to incent me to book but was told I couldn't use it to pay the DSC. has anyone simply had it added to their cabin charge? if so, wouldn't my credit cover it?

....because it was a non-refundable credit that was issued with conditions. Refundable credits are just as good as cash.

I was given a cabin credit to incent me to book but was told I couldn't use it to pay the DSC. has anyone simply had it added to their cabin charge? if so, wouldn't my credit cover it?

If the credits are non-refundable (which they are if you have been told you can't use them for the service charge), then, no, that credit on your account will not cover the DSC.

Its a wage subsidy in disguise. Cruise lines do it so they dont have to pay their staff so much. If they did away with it and increased the fares people would object, but I would prefer to pay a truly all in price right up front, rather than have to figure the true cost of my cruise when I add on the DSC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t really know. NCL have managed to block our access to the US site fairly well and I can’t really be bothered to look to hard.

Before all inclusive was introduced, I found that the prices were fairly similar from what I saw. Some were cheaper, some more expensive. Never enough of a difference when you took everything into account to make it worth worrying too much about it.

Now, with the price increases, once you take out the DSC, which is really the only difference real benefit with all inclusive, I’d guess that whilst prices have gone up by 20-25%, the extra value we are getting is around 10% (it depends a bit on grade of cabin you book). Therefore I’d say that we have a real terms increase of about 10-15%.

It all depends a lot on what cabins people book, when and for how many people, but I’d say that we have gone from fairly comparable prices to now being 10-20% more expensive, after taking into account the differences.

Where it has made a big difference is as a solo. I sometimes do a transatlantic by myself. I was due to do one next year, but looking at the prices, no way. I’ve booked something different instead as it has now been priced way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith if you want access to the US site from the UK it is easy to get around. Let me know if you want the answer :)

Its a wage subsidy in disguise. Cruise lines do it so they dont have to pay their staff so much. If they did away with it and increased the fares people would object, but I would prefer to pay a truly all in price right up front, rather than have to figure the true cost of my cruise when I add on the DSC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruise lines do it because the entire model is to create a service based environment, always has and always will be. You are surrounded by people in positions that are traditionally gratuity based even on land. That high level of service is part of the cruise experience, I don't know why people try to discount that.

Cruise lines do it because the entire model is to create a service based environment, always has and always will be. You are surrounded by people in positions that are traditionally gratuity based even on land. That high level of service is part of the cruise experience, I don't know why people try to discount that.

100 perfect agreed, the same people that bitch about the DSC are the same ones who have no problem tipping in a land based restaurant or bar in the USA or other places where tipping is the norm and the waitstaff is making $2.00 an hour plus tips

Then by all means pay it up front! The math really is not all that hard. Any 4th grader can probably do that for you! :D
Actually MC I passed math with flying colors. .... you missed the whole point. What I don't like is all the ad on costs over and above the enticing advertised prices, fares should just include the daily service charge. Makes it easier when planning a trip and looking at costs

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

100 perfect agreed, the same people that bitch about the DSC are the same ones who have no problem tipping in a land based restaurant or bar in the USA or other places where tipping is the norm and the waitstaff is making $2.00 an hour plus tips
Not true in many parts of the world. In some countries service is part of the work ethic. ...

"Where tipping is the norm" its not in Europe to the standards of America.

In the UK staff now earn a minimum of £8 per hour ($11) and therefore almost 5 times the $2.00 you quote so no further tips here

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

In the UK staff now earn a minimum of £8 per hour ($11) and therefore almost 5 times the $2.00 you quote so no further tips here

In that case, the last time I checked, NCL is an American cruise line despite what its name might suggest.

Carnival and Royal Caribbean as well...

On the other hand I believe that MSC is based in Switzerland and they maintain a very similar service charge pricing structure aboard their ships as their American counterparts.

Not true in many parts of the world. In some countries service is part of the work ethic. ...

But in these countries the base wage is correspondongly higher to compensate for the lack of gratuities. More importantly, the price of the goods are increased to incorporate this added cost.

I’m not saying that I’m a staunch advocate of the tipping culture of the American service industry but this is the reality and the structure by which the cruise lines have chosen to operate.

Those cruisers that intentionally have their service charges refunded for no other reason than their personal cost savings are despicable and their actions should not be promoted.

Edited by Motegi

Actually MC I passed math with flying colors. .... you missed the whole point. What I don't like is all the ad on costs over and above the enticing advertised prices, fares should just include the daily service charge. Makes it easier when planning a trip and looking at costs

As you have said I’m sure that part of this IS for marketing purposes. They can lure more people in and beat their competitors by advertising the lowest possible fares. A good comparison would be most of the airline industry. In order to reduce ticket prices most airlines have become much more restrictive as far as free baggage, in flight meals, etc. Now some even charge extra for overhead carry on bags and aisle/exit row seating in the economy section. Likewise, cruises have added on specialty dining and upcharge onboard activities to generate more profits.

Actually servers in the US make different amounts based on the state in which they live. For half the states the amount is between $2.13 to $2.85, but the rest pay more and it can be as high as $11.50.

I strongly urge anyone confused about the DSC and additional cash tips or anyone contemplating removal of DSC to read the faq on NCL’s website. The misinformation on these tipping threads is rampant. I’m not sure why some posters have the need to make repeated unfounded claims that the DSC is a scam and none of it goes to the staff on board or that if you paid the DSC and don’t give cash tips that you are stiffing the employees. Neither is true.

Directly from NCL website and in their words: “The service charge is shared with restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and other behind the scenes staff…. “ "If you have concerns about the service you receive let guest services know right away so issues can be addressed in a timely manner.” Should your concerns not be corrected then feel free to adjust the DSC accordingly. Regarding extra cash tips per NCL: “You should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity … Staff are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them.”

There is no expectation to offer extra cash tips unless you are in a suite or utilizing the kids club. Youth staff, Concierge and Butler are not included in your DSC charges and should be tipped separately according to services received.

For those who honestly just want to know what is the right thing to do – it’s to leave the DSC intact and pay it. If you have service issues contact Guest services and if not corrected then adjust the DSC. The majority of NCL staff on board are hardworking and excellent so the chance you’ll need to adjust the dsc is pretty slim. Regarding extra tips which are not expected but appreciated; It's nice to do and much appreciated. Nothing but a sincere thank you and or a vacation hero card is also fine. If in a suite the tips for certain staff excluded from DSC should be figured. Those are really up to the individual and dependent on use/service received.

The staff I have spoken with on board NCL ships about DSC and tips have been long term staff. They are happy with their jobs. They do appreciate extra cash tips. They do get extra pay dependent on the amount of DSC collected vs. amount that passengers remove. They do get to keep every cent of extra cash tips given above the DSC. They appreciate the extra pay they get from the DSC.

It is really very easy just to follow the guidelines NCL gives us and go have a great vacation. Anonymous posters on the internet board trying to tell you otherwise should be ignored. Yes NCL is a corporation in it for the bottom line and they are currently quite profitable. Should the quality of service, food and vacation experiences suffer to a point where customers and employees are no longer happy they will need to adjust their practices or suffer through lost customers, bad reputation and lost revenue. I have not noted any decrease in the quality of services aboard their ships and feel it remains excellent. I have noticed a decline in food quality. It’s not enough for me to stop spending my vacation time and dollars on board their ships yet. Should it decline further I’ll re-evaluate.That’s what customers do. They either pay NCL the $ or not. Trying to make a statement to the corporation by taking away staff pay and encourage others to do the same is not the way to show the perceived big bad company. If you really feel they are the big bad company exploiting their workers then don’t sail with them but trying to remove DSC as a rationale is really just punishing the hard working staff. You have to wonder what the real motive for posters to encourage thousands of others not to pay the DSC or that If you do pay the DSC and don't give a plethora of cash to anyone serving you that you have stiffed them.

Thank you. This is very helpful and just the information I was looking for. I already figured the price of the DSC into my cruise, but I wondered what people did for the staff who went above what I would consider baseline service.

In the USA wages are federal, state, city and county dictated. My waiter at dinner last night earned a mandatory minimum wage of $15/hour plus 20% optional tips. His rent however is likely 2k/month for a crappy apartment. Rent in the Philippines is probably $200/month or less for similar crappy apartment. Th uk £8 per hour might include some health care. It’s all relative. The cruise lines set up pay standards and incentives for their employees just as the various countries around the world do. Fairly simple to just go with the local standards of pay whenever traveling instead of trying to figure out what the worker, business, government... take on everything consumed while traveling. NCL sets it up so that it’s easy to follow their recommendations.

Thank you. This is very helpful and just the information I was looking for. I already figured the price of the DSC into my cruise, but I wondered what people did for the staff who went above what I would consider baseline service.

I would say it’s totally up to you. Unless in speciality venues you don’t get a bill folder or a bill with a line to write in extra or leave extra. Should you care to leave your waiter something extra and have some cash on hand $5 seems like a good number.

Room steward is also in the dsc pool. $50 seems nice on a week sailing. Again these amounts are totally subjective and you can give more or less and be inside the norms.

For bartenders a buck or two here and there or a larger bill just once to favorite servers is adequate. I don’t always care to have cash on hand. About halfway through my cruise I’ll try and make a point to take care of the servers I’m getting excellent service from. Staff know you don’t always have cash on hand. It’s not expected and they are aware that you have paid dsc in lieu of the need to have a wad of bills on you whenever you’re enjoying the ship.

What you mean is "I would PREFER if fares included the daily service charge". There are others, who like the system the way it is now, as I can pay my fare in advance, and my service in arrears - if I choose.

I can also interpret that tipping is not expected (albeit welcomed) within the team-work environment sustained by the DSC. So I can be comfortable knowing I am not frowned upon for not running around with envelopes on the last day of the cruise.

I guarantee that once the DSC is eventually merged into the Fare, and the fare is raised.... a new culture of tipping on top of that will emerge. You can tell, because it happens with the DSC already.

Stephen

no, not everyone tipped at the end of the cruise and I'm sure that is why most cruise lines when to the automatic service charge/gratuities.

I once asked our server why the MDR was so slow on the last night of the cruise. He said many ate at the buffet on the last night to avoid tipping the MDR staff. This was on a ship that had traditional dining.

I much prefer the dsc to rushing around on the last night tipping. Lets be honest, some wouldn’t want to do either.

Whether this form is issued onboard is another issue.

That's why the current UK promotions are premium all inclusive at double the price it was 18 months ago or the cruise only price with no extras but gratuities included.

The cruise we have been looking at is £800 here in the UK...that's cruise only....its not too long ago you would get all the benefits for that price.

Just been on the phone to NCL UK. They said they have adopted the policy which has been implemented in the USA quite a while ago. Hence the promo offering free gratuities in UK.

I guarantee that once the DSC is eventually merged into the Fare, and the fare is raised.... a new culture of tipping on top of that will emerge. You can tell, because it happens with the DSC already.

Stephen

I've said this all along. It would be a win win for both the cruise line an crew if they were to include the DSC into the fares. For the cruise line, no one could opt out and for the crew, some would still continue to tip.

Just been on the phone to NCL UK. They said they have adopted the policy which has been implemented in the USA quite a while ago. Hence the promo offering free gratuities in UK.

You were told a load of rubbish then.

Including the DSC in the fare isn’t a promo. It’s how the pricing is done now. That hasn’t been implemented in the US for quite a while. It has been a fairly rare promo over there, but is far from standard. US pricing is a long way from what we have in the U.K.

Perhaps they meant Europe. All inclusive was introduced there a bit before the UK

I’m well aware, by the way, how all inclusive has increased the fares over here. That’s why I said so earlier in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk