service charge question

C cruise

I'm assuming that these days with a lot of people not carrying cash they figured it'd be easier to just add it to your account (I, for one, was ecstatic knowing I didn't have to bring cash for that). Also, the number of guests opting not to tip at all could have possibly had something to do with it. And I would assume for NCL their freestyle dinning was another reason as one would have to bring cash to each meal if it was still the old method.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Those are all excuses, nothing more. Are people wary about how much of the cruise fare goes where? Are they wary about the port fees and taxes being inflated? People are absolutely free to "tip directly because they do so at home" but that has nothing to do with the DSC at all.

As I said, I don’t agree with these reasons, but for some they are genuinely held views. In such cases they are far from being just excuses, however misguided we may think they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are all excuses, nothing more. Are people wary about how much of the cruise fare goes where? Are they wary about the port fees and taxes being inflated? People are absolutely free to "tip directly because they do so at home" but that has nothing to do with the DSC at all.

Cruise fare, port fees, and taxes are mandatory. The DSC on the other hand is optional like a donation. If I am donating money I have every right to know where it goes, and what the admin fees are whether they like it or not.

What do you think is the cruise lines motivation is in getting involved at all in this whole scheme?
If you ever cruised during the days that folks tipped at the end of the cruise, you would understand. People would not show up for the last night's dinner (where you would give the tip to the server and assistant server) and would duck out on their room steward, so they wouldn't have to leave any tips.

If you ever cruised during the days that folks tipped at the end of the cruise, you would understand. People would not show up for the last night's dinner (where you would give the tip to the server and assistant server) and would duck out on their room steward, so they wouldn't have to leave any tips.

First cruise was on the Carla Costa back in the 80’s. Been in a cruise or two every year since. We gave the suggested amount to the waiter, assistant waiter, and room steward. Didn’t feel it was necessary to tip maitre d as that’s a management position.

Have no idea what others did because it was none of my business.

Have no idea what others did because it was none of my business.

Well, just like on here, folks, like you, tell people they don't pay the DSC and in those days, they would tell folks they didn't leave tips.

BTW, I don't care what folks do, I just wish that they wouldn't have to tell everyone what they do.

If the DSC is not a tip - then what is it? Is it their salary? a bonus? I just don't understand..

Its semantics, people love to nitpick over the wording but it really is the same thing just called something different

If the DSC is not a tip - then what is it? Is it their salary? a bonus? I just don't understand..
IMHO, it is the same as the gratuities we use to leave on the last night in the olden days. Some lines call in a daily service charge, some call it automatic gratuities, some call it daily gratuities, etc., but it is all pretty much the same. It is their salary and bonuses.

Here is what the most knowledgable person (use to work for NCL as an officer) said about the DSC: ...their compensation is acombination of wages and "incentive" program, which is the DSC. Thereason that all cruise lines use the "service charge" method is twofold: it tries to engender a "team concept" for the hospitalitystaff, so that failure of one person, resulting in reduction of DSC, affectseveryone (to a small extent) in the "team" and It also allows the cruise line to shift the onusfor reducing a crew member's compensation from the cruise line to thepassengers.

The only thing that is "guaranteed" to a crewmember is the minimum total compensation, which is currently $614/month for a40 hour work week, plus overtime at 125% of the base wage for hours over40/week. This totals out to about $1500/month. If the base wage, overtime, andDSC totals more than this, per their contract, they get that much, if the DSCis reduced, their wages can drop to the above minimum.

It's part of the crew's salary. There may be bonus compensation involved also. But if NCL got rid of the DSC (DAILY service charge) and jacked up the cruise price instead I am sure there would be a huge outcry. Include it in your calculations for the total cruise fare if you wish to understand the total amount you are paying for your cruise.

I pay the DSC and I tip a fair amount too, I think anything less is just being a cheapskate....

So I have a question, and I know there are a lot of thoughts on this, but here goes... I am sailing for the first time on the Epic this summer with my family of four in one cabin. I plan to prepay the service charge, and I have paid the service charges for the beverage package and specialty dining.

I also plan to tip in cash on top of that because that is my preference, but I am trying to figure out what a reasonable amount would be for stewards, servers, bar tenders etc.

Is $100 for the steward about right?

How much for nightly dining in the MDR for a table of four?

I expect it's about $1 per drink?

I know it's up to the individual, but I am just looking for a range and would love to hear what others have to say.

As far as I’m concerned saying the DSC isn’t the gratuity (tip) would be the same as saying the Choice Promotion Service Charge isn’t the gratuity (tip) on the UBP and the SDP. I guess in a few years there will be those who say the CPSC isn’t a tip.

I agree with NLH Arizona, when the DSC came into existence the tipping envelopes disappeared.

The staff I’ve talked to seem to confirm that they do in fact benefit from the dsc on a per cruise basis. If the sailing makes a certain amount of dollars then they get extra. If a bunch of folks reduced or eliminate the dsc then they don’t get as much extra. Also, per the crew members I’ve spoken with, the extra line tips, over and above the 20%, that are hand written in, go to extra pay only if the sailing has made their target. The dsc is very appreciated by the staff who benefits from it. No sense taking it away just to be a perceived cash big tipper. You have taken care of the employees with the dsc. They of course love extra cash tips. If you feel like giving someone a cash tip for service that made your vacation special, feel free but you certainly haven’t stiffed everyone just because you don’t give everyone on the ship extra cash tips. Butler, concierge aren’t in the dsc pool and should be tipped separately depending on level of service received. I certainly find it easiest just to follow ncl guidelines. Let them take care of their own business and employees with the system they have which seems to work quite well. They retain excellent staff so they must be doing something right.

It is clearly all described and defined ion the FAQ on the NCL page. The DSC is an internal incentive program designed to encourage crew members to work together as a team. Tips are optional (again except on a few packages) and can be paid to any crew member at any time in any amount.

The DSC is also optional.

The DSC is also optional.

As is tipping you waitress in a restaurant as is giving something to your mailman and garbage man at Christmas, as is giving your hairdresser or bartender a tip. Try not giving any of them anything and sitting at their table etc the next day. Just because it is optional does not mean it is the right thing to do

Just tip the DSC. It's standard industry practice as to how those staff get the bulk of their income, no matter how the cruise lines word it (changes constantly on NCL). Or how maniacal Maniacal Cruiser likes to get about it.

As is tipping you waitress in a restaurant as is giving something to your mailman and garbage man at Christmas, as is giving your hairdresser or bartender a tip. Try not giving any of them anything and sitting at their table etc the next day. Just because it is optional does not mean it is the right thing to do

I tip them directly. I don’t give anything extra to the sanitation company, the post office, or the owner of the salon in hope it somehow trickles down to the garbage man, letter carrier, or stylist.

I do the same on the ship. Too bad.

I tip them directly. I don’t give anything extra to the sanitation company, the post office, or the owner of the salon in hope it somehow trickles down to the garbage man, letter carrier, or stylist.

I don’t.

I pay their employers some more money in the knowledge that they are paying a decent wage. It’s a fantastic system.

It’s great that the cruise lines now take care of it as well. Makes it so much easier to just get on with enjoying the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

Actually it is not optional to pay it, it is optional to have it removed if you have an issue on board that cannot be resolved (per NCL anyway), read the last line of the FAQ about the service charge.

Read the contract.

Actually it is not optional to pay it, it is optional to have it removed if you have an issue on board that cannot be resolved (per NCL anyway), read the last line of the FAQ about the service charge.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE

Guest Ticket Contract

3.© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary

and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge ,

which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is

intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees

according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier

is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

Paying extra to a billion dollar company so it can pay its employees is a sucker move. IMHO. LOL.

You are the type that if NCL changed the way they do it and incorporated it all into one fare, then raised prices to cover it, you would complain about that