Massage $ ?

artistsj

I plan to celabrate my birthday on board. How should I do that? Is it pricey to have a massage on board? I pay $45.00 to $50.00 / hr. locally. Plus tip. More that that on board? Any other good ways to pamper myself on my birthday?:D

Artistsj

If you don't mind missing a bit of port time you can often get really good specials on port days. I was on Diamond last year and did a port day special with two services (massage and reflexology) for $79 plus tip.

I haven't looked in a while but you may be able to see the price list on the Princess website. Overall, I recall the cost for services were about double what I am use to paying at home.

I hope you slurge and enjoy. I am not sure which ship you are going on but the thermal suite on Diamond ( which was included with the spa service) was a wonderful experience in itself and the services were excellent.

Enjoy and happy birthday in advance.

An hour massage on the Dawn a couple of months ago was $120 (plus tip)on a sea day. On a port day it's cheaper, not sure how much, thinking $10-20 less. Very expensive, but it was a really nice massage with hot stones and aromatherapy.

You can get specials that combine services, and they are usually 50 minutes. It was $89 (plus tip) for a 20 min massage with your choice of a facial, reflexology or pedicure for the special on the day I went.

If you are on one of the newer ships (like Diamond or Sapphire) they even have flotation tables.

Happy Birthday!

I also receive massages very reasonably at home. So far, I haven't paid for one on a ship - it is more then 2x as expensive and I just can't justify the price. Though if I felt like I needed one, I would rather pay for it on the ship then from locals in an area that I am not familiar with.

I think the basic massage (50 minutes) is $99 or 109, then you add the tip. Specialty treatments like the hot stones aromatherapy, can run up to $175 (for 75 minutes). Ridiculously priced, but we usually get one anyway as part of our vacation splurge. We just don't buy any of the products or listen to the sales pitches.

I think the basic massage (50 minutes) is $99 or 109, then you add the tip. Specialty treatments like the hot stones aromatherapy, can run up to $175 (for 75 minutes). Ridiculously priced, but we usually get one anyway as part of our vacation splurge. We just don't buy any of the products or listen to the sales pitches.

WE GO ON OUR CRUISE JANUARY 14 (THE GOLDEN)

MY WIFE LOVES TO GET A MASSAGE ON BOARD

FOR SOME REASON SHE HAS DESIDED TO FOR GO IT THIS YEAR

YES IT IS EXPENSAVE PLUS THEY TRY TO SELL YOU ALL KINDS OF THINGS

I BELIVE IT WOULD BE MORE INJOIABLE IF THEY WOULD FORGO ALL THE SALES PITCH

I ALO INJOY GETTING A PEDICURE HEAR AGAIN AFTER ALL THE SALES PITCHES IT CAN BECOME EXPENSAVE

WE WILL WAIT TO GET BACK HOME AND USE THE MONY FOR OTHER THINGS

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

I just paid a total of $126 for my Swedish massage a few days ago on the Grand. It was $109 plus the 15% gratuity.

It wasn't as good as the one I had with HAL, but it was decent. The thing she did that made me kinda mad was that she worked the body oil into my hair. I walked out of my massage with greasy, oily hair! I hadn't planned on taking a shower the minute I got out of the massage, but I had to. I've never had anyone do that before and frankly, I really don't like some oil in my hair that I'm unfamiliar with. :eek:

I think I learned a valuable lesson: from now on, I'll get my massage done at home BEFORE I leave on the cruise by my usual masseuse in my usual day spa that I'm familiar with. It'll be a little less expensive, but more relaxing I think.

Just off the Golden.

You can check out the various offerings and book massages online as part of the Cruise Personalizer before the cruise, right now it's $79 for a half hour, $109 for 50 minutes, plus tip. I prebooked 2 - one first day, one for the sea day. I book the first day in case of accidental sunburn; prebook the second in case I want/need one, you can cancel 24 hrs in advance without penalty and sea day appointments are high demand. If you don't prebook, you can get a special on a port day, in our case it was something like half off for one particular treatment (not as many spa/salon specials on Princess as on Celebrity.)

I know I can get it done for cheaper here at home, just never ever do this, only get them when I'm on vacation.

When you show up for your appointment you will fill out a pre-treatment form which includes a blank about what you want: I write "peace and quiet" and this has cut down on any effort to sell product about 95%.

When you show up for your appointment you will fill out a pre-treatment form which includes a blank about what you want: I write "peace and quiet" and this has cut down on any effort to sell product about 95%.

Wonderful tip! Thanks so much. My fiance' and I get regular massages at home, and we hope to enjoy massage on the cruise as part of our honeymoon experience. I've been wondering how to get them to skip the sales pitch. Our regular massage therapist tells us how to "make" our own oils and creams. Would anyone be able to tell me the types of spa services that are available? Our cruise personalizer has not opened yet (still 132 days out), but i'd like to know what we can plan for. We are on the Grand in the Med for 12 nights. Two at sea days, but i agreed to stay shipboard on one shore day, so we have 3 days for shipboard activities! Any suggestions?

I only remember the Swedish Massage (my favorite) and the hot rocks massage. They REALLY push the hot rocks one. My masseuse even did a little of it on my lower legs to entice me to book the hot rocks massage, which I didn't do. I told her I would "consider it and maybe book later".

I've never had a problem with the sales pitch. When they start saying, "Oh, you need this moisturizer and that oil," etc., I just simply say, "No thank you. I won't be buying any products today. I get all of mine at home and am very happy with what I'm using." They shut up right away and the sales pitch ends. :D

I had read another suggestion somewhere that if you mention to the masseuse prior to the start of your massage that you are uninterested in purchasing any products today and if they don't give you the pitch their tip will reflect that it is very effective. I mentioned to my masseuse that I am a college student and the trip was on my parents. I didn't get any sales pitch after that.

LOL That's a good way to do it too! LOL I've always wondered if the masseuse would be really mad if I said up front that I wasn't going to buy any products and if she'd take it out on my back! :eek:

I think I'll try it next time though - just the minute I walk in the door. I hate sales pitches and I never buy anything they throw at me. My dingy sister walked out of her first spa appt. with $100 in products and an appt. to come back again!! (at which time she bought more junk she didn't need!) :p

Before you go in they have you fill out a form prior to your treatment. I write in bold letters on it " No sales pitch please" not a peep came from the WOnDERFUL woman who gave me my part of the couples massage- she got a large bonus tip- two days later I went for a hot stone massage and that girl started up about my having lactic acid deposits _ ( a way to start in about selling stuff) I simply egnored her and she finally quit. She only got a ten percent tip

artistsj, I hope you don't mind, I looked at your previous posts and I think you are doing the Dawn to the Mexican Riviera . . . is this correct? If so, don't waste your time having one on the ship, go to the Krystal Palace Resort in Puerto Vallarta.

We were just there a few months ago and had a great day. My daughter was a dancer on the Regal (so this is how we know about this little secret) and a lot of the crew and cast spend their day there. I get massages every month at home and this was the best massage I have ever had!! $45 for 75 minutes. They also have a facial/massage package $75 and it takes about 3 hours. We spent the entire day there, great drinks and food!! Massive pool, swim up bar, right on the ocean if you want to go to the beach. Cruise passengers are allowed at no cost, you just need to show your cruise card.

It's about a 5 - 10 minute walk but I can't remember enough to give you directions on how to get there (followed the cast ;-) but a cab would definitely now the way - or maybe ask the cruise staff on board. If you are interested I know you can book on line but you will have to do a search (or I remember some talk of this on the Ports of Calls board).

I totally agree with Coral. It seems the prices have gotten too high to make it worth it on a cruise anymore. And the ones I have had on cruises have been disappointing. I pay $90-$100 here for a full 90 minutes.

But if you really want to do it, go for it and don't worry about the price - just enjoy the massage.

It took me a year to justify the $85 + tip for what is called here a stone massage (smooth, often flat rocks heated in a water bath) from my massage therapist. She warned me that after the massage I would probably feel nearly drunk not just very relaxed. I figured that after 18 years of massage, i wouldn't get THAT relaxed. I was so relaxed I couldn't talk straight. My muscles were liquid, and I joked that i felt like one of those cartoon characters on TV who turned flat and were "poured" under a door or off a table. An amazing experience and worth the price at about $100. But the prices quoted here are definitely scaring me!

It took me a year to justify the $85 + tip for what is called here a stone massage (smooth, often flat rocks heated in a water bath) from my massage therapist. She warned me that after the massage I would probably feel nearly drunk not just very relaxed. I figured that after 18 years of massage, i wouldn't get THAT relaxed. I was so relaxed I couldn't talk straight. My muscles were liquid, and I joked that i felt like one of those cartoon characters on TV who turned flat and were "poured" under a door or off a table. An amazing experience and worth the price at about $100. But the prices quoted here are definitely scaring me!

WOW I wish I had your therapist! I spent 150.00 pus tip on the star in November for the same massage and I ended up with a few bruises but not relaxed at all. I am sticking with swedish massage from now on.

I write "peace and quiet" and this has cut down on any effort to sell product about 95%.

What a great idea! I got a massage in 2001 on a ship with no sales pitch. Last year I was on the Celebrity, got two massages and kept getting the sales pitch!

My dentist told me afterwards that he went to the spa to prepay a massage for his mom and specifically asked that they not try to seel his mom anything. Afterwards, his mom told him about the sales pitch she had to endure, and he complained to the manager who promptly refunded him 1/2 the fee.

Archived