Surprise $117 cell phone charge--How to Avoid in Future?

My husband and 2 of our boys and one of their friends were on Liberty of the Seas last May. They all had the Voom package. They all set-up their phones with Wifi-calling before leaving for the trip. They were able to get on social media, text through FB Messenger to communicate while on the ship. My husband called home almost daily from the ship. This was all done with just the Voom package. No other cost involved with our carriers.

Like other posters have said, you have to set-up the wifi-calling ahead of time and make sure it works. Put in airplane mode and turn the roaming off and use your wifi at home. But it worked great for them the whole time they were gone. There were no extra fees on our phone bill after that trip either.

I don't believe the OP had WiFI. It sounds like they kept their phones off unless in port. They should be able to check online or contact their carrier to get the exact times the usage occurred. This may help them figure out what went wrong.

I don't believe the OP had WiFI. It sounds like they kept their phones off unless in port. They should be able to check online or contact their carrier to get the exact times the usage occurred. This may help them figure out what went wrong.

Yes, they should be able to get that from the carrier. Also what the charges are for, voice, text or data.

Something to think about, data roaming is off by default. So if the charges are data then they turned that on. If it is voice people should always look at the Carrier indicator before making or answering a call. Also on AT&T they send text messages when roaming abroad.

ab606d5166e7bb4768930a8f8e568c74.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks for your information and help...but still a bit weird for me to get used to this...and Yes I'm one of the few that still have and use my land line ;)

I still have a land line.

It works when the power is out. And even after the cell tower generators run out of fuel. :D