www.aol.com from internet cafe

Tagoladad

Yes you can access the internet from the onboard internet cafe.

Here's NCL's internet poolicies and fees.

http://www.ncl.com/more/internet_cafe.htm

You'll get your own e-mail account with its own address aboard the ship.

It'll be something like this:

your first initial your last name cabin number ship name @ cruisemail.net

You will not need an aol account number.

I was on the Jewel earlier this month, and here's what I learned about using your own computer for email.

1. If you are a latitudes member, check in with the Internet Manager to get the bonus minutes.

2. The internet cafe really isn't a cafe. It's along the side wall of the Art Gallery on Deck 7. There are several computers there that you can use your internet minutes with. There is not any room for laptop use. But the internet manager can help you get set up, and give you a page of helpful instructions.

3. If you plan on using your own computer, make sure you have wireless capabilities (built in or an add-on wifi card).

4. about 70 percent of the public areas had WiFi connectivity. Unfortunatley, I did not find any places (outside of our cabin) that had power outlet for US based 110 volt plugs.

5. Your stateroom should have an wired network connection (ours was in the wall near the TV). Make sure you take a network cable (Cat 5) with you. I had to buy one in Puerto Rico... Note: there is no wifi connectivity in most of the staterooms. So you can have power in your cabin, but no wifi, and wifi in the public areas, but no power (unless you have the proper AC converter).

6. Email servers. Most commercial email servers don't like IP addresses from the middle of the ocean. I ended up having all three of my outgoing mail servers not allow me to send any email. if you have similar problems, the Internet manager will give you an instruction sheet on how to use the service. I just had to change my outgoing mail server info in OUTLOOK to use their outgoing server. NOTE: Remember to change it back to your normal provider when you get back to the real world again.

7. If you'll be taking the work laptop with you, check with your employer's IT people on how to configure your email to access from "foreign" IP addresses. Take notes, take the notes with you. Several other passengers could not access their work email while onboard because of reasons that I never understood. And when you're paying for every minute you're online, you don't want to waste those minutes talking with tech support back home.:mad:

I hope this helps. I wasted the first 50 minutes of my connection trying to get my email outgoing mail server set up. Learn from my mistakes, and go ask for help earlier rather than later. ;)

Has anyone used this to get and send email from the ship? We'll be on the Jewel in Eurpoe in summer of '06 and we need to be able to email the kids everyday. If you've got experience using email onboard, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

Tagoladad@aol.com

Yes, go to the internet cafe and sign on (pay $3.95 account set up fee, mandatory) then surf the web as you would at home and pay the per minute fee that will be charged to your onboard account. Go to aol.com, sign on as you would normally, check and send e mail like normal. Works the same for yahoo accounts and hotmail accounts. I've used the internet and accessed AOL on NCL ships from all over the world (Europe, South America, Transatlantic, etc.) and never had a problem.

Ships charge for wireless internet.

I have never heard of a free wireless connection anywhere.

Most US airports have free wireless service, as does Borders books (cafe), panera bread and Starbucks to name a few. I've never seen free wireless service at any of the foreign ports, but then I don't carry around my laptop searching for a signal either.

:)

But is that wireless service really free at those places?

Airports charge fees, just hike the fees for everyone, and Starbucks charges significantly higher for coffee than others. Borders would probably kick you out of their stores if you mooched on them too much without ever buying any books.

But is that wireless service really free at those places?

Airports charge fees, just hike the fees for everyone, and Starbucks charges significantly higher for coffee than others. Borders would probably kick you out of their stores if you mooched on them too much without ever buying any books.

Actually I travel around evaluating retail stores/restaurants and hotels for a living and I frequently stop in the parking lot of Borders and Starbucks and don't even have to go into the buildings to get internet service so I can enter my evaluations, so it doesn't cost me anything.

There is an inter net cafe within a block or two of your ship at almost any port. We have found one in the Carribean at every port we have been in. Cost usually about $2 or $3 for 20 minuets.
The best people to ask for directions to the ports' internet cafes are the crew. These days, many depend on cheap internet to keep in touch with family and friends, so if they're in the same ports regularly, they become experts at where the good ones are.

Archived