Just booked a cruise first time with kids any tips

vicky2015

I am taking my kids who are older 15-12-9 they haven’t cruised before I have and wondered if anyone who has taken theres have any info of what there kids thought about it with kids clubs plus kids menus thanks

I am taking my kids who are older 15-12-9 they haven’t cruised before I have and wondered if anyone who has taken theres have any info of what there kids thought about it with kids clubs plus kids menus thanks

I do not have children ,but from what has been posted, you probably will not see a lot of your children. They all seem to love the childrens clubs. Across all ages. If you are dressing up on formal nights, see if they will dress up as well..people have posted pictures of their children looking really cute with suits, or pretty dresses. At the least on formal nights their outfits should be smart casual, if eating in the mdr, so no jeans those nights.

Most children seem to love cruising and they will be the first to nag you to book another one...enjoy the first one..

My son was 15 on his first cruise and he still says it was his best holiday. The cruise was 2 weeks and from the first day he went to the kids club all the time. He was fortunate that he met up with with others that had several cruises and showed him around. He liked the P&O kids club as it did have a timetable as to what they were doing each day, although if they didn't want to do that, they could do something else. On the formal nights he did eat with us first and went to the club after and they all had their photos taken together. With regards to kids menu, I remember it was a pretty standard kids menu, although you can still ask for anything not on the menu and your waiter will ask. You can always ask for extra chips etc. They can also order from the main menu. He also ate with his friends in the buffet and out on deck on sea days. The only problem we had was that the kids club finished at 1 a.m.which was late especially when we had to get up early next morning for a trip. This was a few years ago as he is 22 now. I think for younger children you have to sign them in and out.

I am sure you will all have a fantastic time.

Our first cruise was when our youngest was eight. She is twenty next month and she and her sister still love to cruise. They now also do lots of other types of holidays and traveling but they still rate cruising as the best possible vacation. And indeed will be joining us on Britainnia in June.

Growing up they loved the freedom and independence cruising offered as they spent time with their new friends. The age appropriate kid club activities were excellent offering a great variety of things to do from pool parties to movie nights.

And whilst they were enjoying themselves and with a few fundamental ground rules in place my husband and I could relax confident in the knowledge that they were constantly supervised and safe. Indeed as they grew older we were very grateful that ship rules were such that potential problems were averted by youth security following them at all times and a very strict no alcohol policy.

My best piece of advice is to insist they attend the kid clubs induction on the first night. This is when friendships are formed and it is difficult to “catch up” if this is missed.

Happy cruising!

Register in the club for them all as soon as this is allowed. Make sure they all attend on the first night. The splits are good for these ages; 2-4, 5-8, 9-12 and 13+ so two will be in the same group. Teen club members meet at the club but generally go off elsewhere in small private groups even though there are good activities to do for them within the club.

I have always gone to the MDR with my daughter and ordered off the main menu, the kid's menu is to be avoided as it is not good value in my opinion when you have paid good money for their fare. Over the years we have worked out what meals we never have at home she likes and any she did not. Leaving meals uneaten does not matter much as you can dine after dinner in the Buffet until very late. They always want to go to the club after dinner so buffet is generally late if it comes to that.

P&O have introduced a number of rules for children, which my daughter did not like. Self-signing in/out of the club now no longer happens only parents and adults appointed by the parents can sign children in/out club. Coloured elastic wrist bands relating to relevant muster station must be worn at all times. Teenagers do not sign in/out club they wander in/out with no recording of who is attending just making sure they were teenagers from the club.

Regards John

One really annoying thing about P&O is that you have to personally sign them in and out for club unless they are in the oldest group. Most cruise lines offer a permission slip option where they can sign themselves back in if they want and you can impose whatever restrictions you want if you don't want them to have that independence.

What this means is that you will feel rushed at dinner to go back up to kids club to sign in and then back down again for the theatre which is too small and fills up quickly. They say no saving seats but it makes sense if one of you heads for the theatre to get seats while the other rushes across the ship.

On the positive side the staff are really good. All of them have proper qualifications they even have teachers in the clubs during the holidays who want to earn some extra cash and see the world!

There are daily programmes which will be delivered to your cabin the night before. They have sport, art and crafts, gaming machines and dancing.