First Royal Caribbean cruise with kids

Yes, your set sail pass works until you are allowed to your room. One of the keys were in an envelope stuck to the room number of the state room, the other keys were in the room, on our bed. Was I concerned like you? At first, yes, but realize until the rooms are open to passengers no one but crew is back there. Once the rooms are open, nothing is there in your room until you and your bags arrive. The keys are coded with your picture on it, so they can't be used by anyone else (you don't see the picture, but it shows up on all the registers when you charge something). Only the mega ships are doing this currently.

Sounds pretty stupid to me. I could understand this if you could skip check in and board but if you have to check in anyway why not get your room key there as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds pretty stupid to me. I could understand this if you could skip check in and board but if you have to check in anyway why not get your room key there as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not as stupid when you realize that the passengers have generally already loaded their photos for the seapasses when they completed their set sail passes, and the check in process itself (at least for Quantum and Anthem if I recall correctly) involves some of the boarding agents roaming about using tablets for the expedited check-in process.

This helped keep the traffic congestion to a minimum during check-in, at least on our Quantum sailing.

That’s interesting I’ve never heard of a ship doing that before. Hopefully it goes smoothly when we get on the ship. Do you know if they’ve had any issues with people going into the wrong room or keys not being there?

That’s interesting I’ve never heard of a ship doing that before. Hopefully it goes smoothly when we get on the ship. Do you know if they’ve had any issues with people going into the wrong room or keys not being there?

I've not seen it reported here. I can see that someone might transpose some digits and initially pick the wrong stateroom, but they would clearly see that the SeaPass card did not have their name, and so would realize their mistake.

You’re scaring me lol. I don’t think switching Disney will be an option. Are there not places where you can see the ocean?

I am a regular balcony cruiser, but I have been on Allure, not Harmony yet, and have stayed in a Boardwalk balcony and I could see the ocean when I was out on the balcony. I have had the Boardwalk balconies twice, once the 2nd from the aft end of the corridor and the other time 2nd from the elevator.

Both times I have seen the ocean, albeit far better the closer to the aft, but the longer the walk to the elevator/stairs. I have also stayed in an ocean view balcony on Allure and it wasn't any different than any other balcony on any other ship.

I have also had MyTimeDining and there were a few nights where the no reservation lines were long. The first night and that's because there is so much confusion and everything is slower. I feel it is basically the same with scheduled dining. The other nights the lines were long were the formal nights with the 2nd formal night, the lobster night, was the longest wait.

I believe it's because more people show up that night and also order more than one entree, so it takes longer for them to be served and to eat. I do think if you are able to make reservations now, it would be to your advantage. If not, when you get onboard, see if you are able to make your reservations for the week, or day by day.

I love the Oasis class of ships and I would NOT discourage you from sailing them. The kids will love the ship as will you. Enjoy!

PS Don't let that one cruiser who is so negative about everything scare you. I haven't seen anyone as negative in a long time.

I noticed there’s a new sale where you get on board credit. Could that be applied to my booking since it’s before the paid in full date? Or would I have to cancel and rebook to get this new deal?

Most often it is only new bookings, but you can always call and ask. All they can say in "no", right?

Go Noles :)

I looked at the website and it looks like we can prebook our dinner times so I’ll do that. Since I have all the shows booked it should be easy. Would two hours before a show be enough time for dinner? Most of the shows are at 8:30 so I was thinking dinner at 6 or 6:30.

The rooms are on the 8th deck so I think that’s the lowest balcony level and we are about four rooms down from the end with the water show, so would that have a good view? We have the show booked for the first night so we’d probably watch for bits not to get the whole show effect. And you’re able to see the ocean from these rooms?

so just a heads up on MTD. If you set times at 6 or 6:30, definitely know that first night is a bit of a hassle. At least my first and only time was. I had a reservation at 6pm and we didn't get seated for over a half hour. In fact, they moved us to the traditional dining room because the MTD room was full (wait, didn't I have a reservation???).

Anyway, I have told myself IF I ever do MTD again, I'll skip the first night. It was nuts LOL I'm used to traditional, walking right to my table. The second night we returned, we waited 15 minutes and again we were re-routed to the traditional dining room on another floor. I asked to be moved to traditional dining permanently and of course they said they were full. They made some concessions for us and arranged a particular table in the MTD dining room as long as we arrived by 5:30pm each night...NO PROBLEM! Everything was smooth after that. But a bit of a hassle right? I won't do MTD again because I'm just used to going in to sit down. It takes getting used to that's for sure.

Go Noles :)

I looked at the website and it looks like we can prebook our dinner times so I’ll do that. Since I have all the shows booked it should be easy. Would two hours before a show be enough time for dinner? Most of the shows are at 8:30 so I was thinking dinner at 6 or 6:30.

We've always done MTD. It is hard the first night as so many people don't have reservations. We book at 6:15 (there is a gap from 6:15 to about 7:30 where you can't book those times online) and get there a bit early the first day. After the first night, MTD is smooth and you are typically at the same table. Dining at 6:15 allows my teens to go up and meet their friends in the teen club at a good time.

For your first night, please change the aqua show or at least don't have your 14yo attend it. AO opens at 8pm the first night and they should be there right when it opens and stay. It is so important that they are there the first night as that is when they do a meet and greet and the teens basically will sort themselves into groups that they will hang out with the rest of the cruise. Its not quite as urgent for the 9yo. There will be a ton of kids onboard as there always is on any school break.

Please don't listen to the Disney crowd. Many of us are very happy with RC and keep coming back to RC with our families. It is a great product at a good price. The family vacation is whatever you make of it but I think you will have an amazing time.

We've always done MTD. It is hard the first night as so many people don't have reservations. We book at 6:15 (there is a gap from 6:15 to about 7:30 where you can't book those times online) and get there a bit early the first day. After the first night, MTD is smooth and you are typically at the same table. Dining at 6:15 allows my teens to go up and meet their friends in the teen club at a good time.

For your first night, please change the aqua show or at least don't have your 14yo attend it. AO opens at 8pm the first night and they should be there right when it opens and stay. It is so important that they are there the first night as that is when they do a meet and greet and the teens basically will sort themselves into groups that they will hang out with the rest of the cruise. Its not quite as urgent for the 9yo. There will be a ton of kids onboard as there always is on any school break.

Please don't listen to the Disney crowd. Many of us are very happy with RC and keep coming back to RC with our families. It is a great product at a good price. The family vacation is whatever you make of it but I think you will have an amazing time.

So going to the show the first night is a bad idea? We’d have to change a lot around to move that show to a different night, but I want the kids to have a chance to make friends

It works very well. It's not an issue. Let's say someone DID take your card, you would just walk over to guest services and they would cancel the stolen card and give you a new one. That's worst case scenario and highly unlikely as it is.

Check in is SUPER fast with this system. Instead of standing in lines for an hour to get on the ship, you breeze through. It's great.

So going to the show the first night is a bad idea? We’d have to change a lot around to move that show to a different night, but I want the kids to have a chance to make friends

Very bad idea if she wants to make friends in the teen club. Honestly, my kids do not go to any shows...they'd rather hang with their friends in the evening. We go to the shows without kids and pick up younger ones from AO at 10 and my teens stay out later than us.