Cruise during September 2006 - hurricane season??

KristinandChris

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this board! My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon during the second week of September and we're looking into cruises. I've been on one before but he hasn't been on any. We're looking at either leaving from Baltimore and going to Bermuda on a Royal Caribbean cruise or leaving from Florida and going to Cozumel, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Are hurricanes a big problem during this time? If so, will the ship go to another port? Any suggestions or tips would be great! Thanks!

- - - - - - - -

Hawaii sounds much safer if you are determined to do a cruise. Fly in, spend time onboard, Island hop, and have no hurricanes to worry about!

Or, the LasVegas trip.

With this past year's record, there is no way you could expect to have smooth sailing - it is hurricane season in September!

Sept. 2004, we were supposed to go to Nassau, but hurricane Jeanne was there. We wound up sailing around the ocean for 3 days. Many people on our cruise were leftovers who were supposed to sail earlier in September. So I felt bad for them. We made our trip worth it by adding on a golf trip after we got back to Miami. Our trip wasn't all that bad that way.

If you are going to Bermuda, go out of NJ on Celebrity Zenith, you'll get more days actually in Bermuda. We live in Maryland and checked out our options and that worked out best. Tell Celebrity you want to add on a bus trip. For us it was $69 per person roundtrip and at that time--Oct 2003, it went out of NYC. All the people on your bus will be on your cruise. And it takes you right to the port from Baltimore Travel Plaza.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this board! My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon during the second week of September and we're looking into cruises. I've been on one before but he hasn't been on any. We're looking at either leaving from Baltimore and going to Bermuda on a Royal Caribbean cruise or leaving from Florida and going to Cozumel, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Are hurricanes a big problem during this time? If so, will the ship go to another port? Any suggestions or tips would be great!

Thanks!

AHOY! And welcome aboard!

IF, IF you are going to cruise during hurricane season, which I have many times, you may as well be cruising on the largest Cruise Ship in the world.... RCCL's Freedom of the Seas! That's what we're doing....... Sept 24th from Miami. We can't wait! We have a group booking going on and the prices are excellant! $700 before port charges and taxes for an Inside. Not bad at all!

Actually, if you are looking for a tropical honeymoon and don't want to travel to Hawaii or thereabouts, I wouldn't hesitate to book a cruise in September to the Caribbean. I would avoid Bermuda, only because Bermuda either gets cancelled completely or the ship gets diverted to Canada, in the event of a hurricane. I would hedge my bets on a cruise rather than a land vacation in the Caribbean. At least the Captain can steer the ship out of harm's way. If you are on an island (e.g., Cancun vacationers this past hurricane season), you may not be able to evacuate.

We've cruised 3 times in September. All 3 times the weather was spectacular...once the Captain changed courses (this past September), but I'm glad he did because although we did Western instead of Eastern, the weather was fabulous.

The only caveat would be if your port of embarkation were to be hit and damaged when you were ready to board the ship. But that isn't the most likely scenario.

If you want to do a land vacation and avoid hurricanes altogether, I believe Aruba is not in the hurricane belt.

Have you decided yet? I would sail from Baltimore to Bermuda because you would only have one day at sea each way. Bermuda is the least likely island to be affected by a hurricane because it is so far north and west of the Caribbean. Bermuda is the most beautiful island to sail from on the East Coast. You are guaranteed to love it. NCL will even give you food vouchers to use at island restaurants. There is a terrific bus system and water taxi that makes transportation convenient and inexpensive on Bermuda. I've never met anyone who didn't love Bermuda. Can't say that about other islands.

This March will be our first cruise that we haven't taken during Sept, Oct or beginning of November (Starting with our honeymoon in Sept)!! I love cruising then. We have been fortunate to never have had to deal with a hurricane (This past year was record breaking in that dept). We've always had fabulous weather and gotten great deals!!!

Like people said, the ship will steer away from any bad weather!! If you do go, just go with an open mind that things could change your course for any reason...go with the flow!!

Archived