Cruise during September 2006 - hurricane season??

KristinandChris

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this board! My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon during the second week of September and we're looking into cruises. I've been on one before but he hasn't been on any. We're looking at either leaving from Baltimore and going to Bermuda on a Royal Caribbean cruise or leaving from Florida and going to Cozumel, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Are hurricanes a big problem during this time? If so, will the ship go to another port? Any suggestions or tips would be great!

Thanks!

We're booked on the Crown Princess out of Brooklyn, NY on September 3 with an Eastern Caribbean/Bermuda itinerary. We have insurance and will certainly understand if our itinerary should change. The chance of the Red Hook Cruise Terminal being closed or destroyed due to a hurricane is minimal. ;)

Hi! Welcome to the boards!

I just posted a similar question on this board. We'll be celebrating our 10th Anniversary onboard RCI Adventure of the Seas. I'm keeping my fingers crosses like you as we're leaving Sept 24th!

Hi! Welcome to the boards!

I just posted a similar question on this board. We'll be celebrating our 10th Anniversary onboard RCI Adventure of the Seas. I'm keeping my fingers crosses like you as we're leaving Sept 24th!

As you are looking to book what will be a once in a life event the way hurricane season has been running, there is no way I would risk it.

Watch / read all the year end review stuff & decide if you want to sail through that. I wouldn't.

Then do a search for the word hurricanne on these boards. I would particularly direct you to the Royal Caribbean site so you can read about all the people who went to Canada not Bermuda & the couple who missed their own wedding as a result. I am not casting blame for any of this -- if blame must be cast, it falls solely on mother nature.

That said, unless you are BIG gamblers & would be equally happy spending your honeymoon in Las Vegas, there is no way I would sail in Sept.

We recently cruised Western/Carnival Valor on October 29, 2005. 4 out of the 5 Islands we went to had major damage from all 3 hurricans. They canceled our visit to Cozumel and substituted it. Not to mention we had one day of sunshine due to one storm after another. Not one night could we stand on the deck to see the stars. Water, what color was the water? Couldnt tell you. It poured EVERY day. Do some research and/or get insurance.

Hurricanes can always be a problem - right up until the "official" end of the season 11/30. With that in mind, if you decide to cruise during this time you need to keep an open mind about diversions to your itinerary. A port may be cancelled or substituted if a storm is in the ship's path. If you had your hearts set on stopping at XXXXXX and instead you go to YYYYYYY or have another sea day, you can't let it bother you. Otherwise you'll have a lousy cruise. I find that just being on a cruise ship, regardless of the ports, can be nice and relaxing. If you are willing to take that approach, you and your fiancee will have a great time no matter when you decide to cruise.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon on the Monarch of the Seas and had a nice time. Got us hooked on cruising.

Almost all my cruises have been in early September, since that's my favorite month of the year.

You have to realize that six months of every year IS hurricane season, so half the cruisers are on the sea during the season. August and September are notorious for being the worst two months.

If you are on a ship, you are much safer than being on land during a hurricane. The captain will take the ship out of harm's way.

I lost my home to Katrina.:o Obviously, I hate hurricanes ... BUT, God willing, I'll be on a cruise next September anyway.

If this year's Hurricane season is any indication of how it will be in the future I think no month will be safe from possible Hurricanes. I mean look you have Zeta which just formed. :eek: Altough it is very unlikely it will have any impact on cruising!!

I'm not against cruising in Sept but I wouldn't risk it on a honeymoon. For another type of vacation -- sure. In fact, I have & enjoyed the experience but there are just too many variables & when you mix wedding / honeymoon in there I see a recipe for disaster.

• 2 weeks later...

We got married in September and went on a cruise in September... and the waether was just beautiful.

I suggest you go ahead and plan on cruising during September. Like many have said, the Captain will just go to a different port than the one planned.

May I suggest an Eastern Carribean cruise... or you will likely spend a lot of time tendering on and off the ship (e.g., by boat). Most of the docks were wiped out in Mexico... and I know it will take a while before they are rebuilt. Just my opinion. :D

Plan your cruise in September. Congratulations on your engagement, by the way. :)

I live in west central Florida near the Gulf of Mexico. We were very lucky in the Tampa area this past hurricane season, I just hope our luck continues to hold.

As far as planning a cruise honeymoon in September, I'd have to think real hard about that. Hurricane season runs from June 1st thru November 30th. September is the heart of "H" season. This past season was very active, and according to the National Weather Service, there is every expectation that we will continue to have very active seasons for the next 10-15 years. As much as I love cruising, I personally wouldn't want to schedule a cruise during that time of year. I know that this season, cruise ship captains were able to steer around the storms, but I sure wouldn't want to be in the Gulf if a hurricane was also in the Gulf. And there is the issue of possibly not being able to get into ports due to weather or to storm damage.

I would rather see you honeymoon elsewhere, and book a cruise outside of hurricane season.

Sorry!

p.s. Congratulations on your engagement

Why not fly to a West coast port and cruise somewhere else such as Alaska or Hawaii rather than risk a September hurricane? September 10 is the peak of the hurricane season, but you can can have seriously dangerous hurricanes much earler and much later.

Climate experts are predicting another hurricane season similar to 2005. I just wouldn't take a chance with those odds.

Why not fly to a West coast port and cruise somewhere else such as Alaska or Hawaii rather than risk a September hurricane? September 10 is the peak of the hurricane season, but you can can have seriously dangerous hurricanes much earler and much later.

Climate experts are predicting another hurricane season similar to 2005. I just wouldn't take a chance with those odds.

September is the heart of huricane season on the west coast. We missed Puerto vierta (sp?) becasue of one mid sep 2004. The cruise was a great cruise, however. No rough seas. Captain did a grea job keeping us away from her.:)

Have to agree...don't do it, avoid Septmber, October and November.

Avoiding the hurricane season insures that the ships are less crowded, lot's of empty cabins, the price of the cruise drops, specials pop up all over for Florida residents. It's a win, win situation for locals. First, we get a great cruise for next to nothing and second, if a hurricane hits I'd rather be on the ship then behind storm shutters in my home. :p

Hey! No scheming! :mad:

You locals... always trying to get that $70 cruise. I'm just jelleous because I'm not home Ported. If I can't get a deal... no one gets a deal!:D

Like Bequia said... you should go on this Honeymoon cruise in September because the ship will stear clear of the storm anyway. Cruises are a lot of fun. I like the sea days in particular. Sit out on the balcony and watch the water go by... and suck down a few cocktails too. :D

Cruising during hurricane season can be fun! There is a possibility of extra days at sea....different ports than you planned (exciting!).........shipboard credits if you're lucky and great "WAR" stories to tell friends and family back home. The reality is that the captain and his crew keep you out of harms way and "hurricane season" is longer than any other we have down here:D. Heck....we just put up those boards and go on vacation! Happy honeymoon;)

We cruised from Boston to the eastern caribbean and Bermuda leaving Oct 2 and had no problems. We did notice that the eastern caribbean is generally north of the hurricanes and that Bermuda is an unlikely target because of how the hurricanes usually track. Go to www.weather.com and enter St. George, Bermuda and click to see averages for weather conditions each month. You can also search for hurricanes to see where they hit.

I would not recommend the southern caribbean or western caribbean that time of year because they are in the general track for hurricanes that time of year.

I am assuming that Royal Caribbean probably chose the Eastern Caribbean

(generally St. Thomas area) and Bermuda because they knew they were the least likely ports to be affected by a hurricane that time of year. We are looking forward to sailing to Bermuda again this year leaving NY on the first of October. The North Atlantic has cooled down by that time so any storms would be weakened.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

Don't do it.

A previous poster stated that maybe you'd get an extra few days on your cruise. Well, if you're on the next cruise, you'll get FEWER days. That's right, your 7 day cruise will be 5 days, because the lucky people before you got 9 days. Also, you're now in Ft. Lauderdale (if you're lucky, don't forget the airlines usually stop flights the day before the hurricane) and the cruiseline has changed the departure port to Miami, or Tampa, who knows.

.Too much stress for your savings. Especially if it's your honeymoon. I live in Florida and will not cruise in September or October, even though I have in the past.

BTW the SoutherCaribbean is usually outside of the hurricane zone, however, these last years have been strange.

AND some of the hurricanes have affected both the eastern and western Caribbean, coming in the west and turning east!

I have taken 6 cruises - all of them in the midst of hurricane season. Never had a problem. My very first cruise we were right between 2 tropical storms and didn't even know it. The captains know very well how to steer around them. I didn't go last year but I had friends who were out while a storm pounded the FLorida coast. Those poor people had to stay on board an extra three days!

If I had my choice between booking a cruise or a land vacation in September, I'd pick the cruise every time. Your hotel can't pick up and move if a storm comes! Having said that though, I would pick the Caribbean over leaving out of Baltimore. The Atlantic seas are generally much rougher than the Gulf.

Good luck deciding - and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

. We have insurance and will certainly understand if our itinerary should change. ;)

What does the cruise insurance do for you if there is a hurricane? Can anyone explain this to me? Also, where is the best place to get cruise insurance?

Thanks!

bella

Archived