Hoonah: ATV Rental or Jeep Rental for Self Tour?

wesp

I am looking for information to help me decide between a Jeep or ATV rental in Hoonah. Given weather, I suspect a Jeep offers creature comforts of an enclosed cab with heat! Are both vehicles allowed on the same lumber roads in the forest. Given weather I suspect a Jeep offers creature comforts of an enclosed cab with heat!

Thank you for your replies!

Wesley :cool:

I'm very surprised this is available. The "roads" are not marked, and even though I have traveled them numerous times, I would easily get lost. A lot of one way, some no maintenance, some simply bush wacked, etc. An ATV will be more maneuverable, if you make wrong turns, and easier to stop- with avoiding blocking. etc.

I'm very surprised this is available. The "roads" are not marked, and even though I have traveled them numerous times, I would easily get lost. A lot of one way, some no maintenance, some simply bush wacked, etc. An ATV will be more maneuverable, if you make wrong turns, and easier to stop- with avoiding blocking. etc.

I grew up in Hoonah and learned to drive on those roads. Without a good map, road markings or a guide, it could be easy to get lost. But I'm assuming the tour operator has accounted for that?

I personally would prefer to do it on an ATV...

Edit: I'm assuming you are looking at this: http://icystraitpoint.com/tour/atv-and-jeep-expeditions/ . Honestly, either way would be great.

I grew up in Hoonah and learned to drive on those roads. Without a good map, road markings or a guide, it could be easy to get lost. But I'm assuming the tour operator has accounted for that?

I personally would prefer to do it on an ATV...

Could be the Brown family running it, trying to get some extra funds. :) :) :) :) The back woods journey is a maze to me. I never recognize any "markers", which are going to be trees and rocks, and terrain. Yikes, I'd be stuck in there for days. :)