Can anyone recommend a good Tailor in Hong Kong?

Len2006

We're spending roughly a week in Hong Kong prior to boarding. We'd like to have some custom clothing made, both men's and women's.

Can Anyone recommend a quality tailor who won't bankrupt us? I know that you get what you pay for, but dealing in a foreign currency and in an unfamiliar environment, I really don't want to be taken advantage of, and with minimal time, I'd like to go straight there and begin the fittings.

Anyone recommend?

Ask at the Hotel, usually takes from two to three days for any number of garments. Unfortunately, the are numerous sellers of tailor services around the Ocean Terminal and they usually represent some kind of rip-off. Be careful and remember you do get what you pay for!!

We have used Byron Kay in Kowloon on several occasions and have been very pleased. I think their prices are good. You have to be careful in Hong Kong to go to a reputable tailor as many charge less but do shoddy work. We got this recommendation from the concierge at the Peninsula Hotel.

My husband had four shirts made at Princeton Tailors. They came out wonderful and were delivered the next day to our hotel -- the InterContinental. He even brought a favorite tuxedo shirt (which was worn out) and had them copy it. I also know someone else who uses them exclusively since they visit the US twice a year. Go to http://www.princeton.com and view their website. I'm also sure that you can go with the Peninsula recommendation and be happy.

Sheila

Good advice to use the Peninsula concierge. There are many unscrupulous tailors in HK. Sad to say, the last time there was a good deal to be had with a Hong Kong Tailor was in the 1960's. Recently in Hong Kong there was a poll to determine the best deal for a custom made shirt. The winner was Brooks Brothers in New York...........................

Most Hong Kong Tailors will use single stitching instead of double. They are quite fast. But their prices are higher than in San Francisco or Tokyo. If you really want a good deal with a tailor, you need to go to Bangkok or Shanghai.

Archived