La Spezia to Florence--Options?

barb in ga

We will be on RCI Symphony in early October. We want to go to Florence for a self directed tour, but want to explore options for this. We will dock at 8:30 AM and depart at 8:30 PM on a Wednesday.

Most of the ship sponsored tours include Pisa, which is not high on my list. I would like to hear from other cruisers what has worked for them.

Thanks,

Barb

What are the transportation choices for La Spezia to Florence?

There are the usual options. You could simply rent a car in La Spezia and drive yourself to Florence (about 2 hours each way). or...You could possibly do it on the trains (depending on the time you are in port) which can take anywhere from about 1:40 to 2 1/2 hours each way. And there is always the option of booking a private tour (with transport and driver).

To be blunt, Florence makes more sense for those that have a port day in Livorno. But it can be done from La Spezia...although you will spend a good part of your day just going back and forth (between port and Florence). If you truly want to experience Florence (a place we recommend) it is best done on a land trip (or pre-post cruise) when you can spend a few days in a local hotel or in a nearby location (such as San Gimignano).

Hank

What are the transportation choices for La Spezia to Florence?

Train? You'd have to get from the port to the train station (taxi?) and you'd probably, at that time of day, have to stop and transfer trains in Pisa so you'd be looking at 2 - 2.5 hours (or more) between La Spezia and Florence -- from the time the train left the station, not including the time to get to/from the stations. Me, I wouldn't want to venture so far from the port by train, though, especially if I'd have to switch trains in Pisa.

Driving, if you went with a tour (limo? bus?), would take a little over 2 hours. I would probably try to book a tour or shared tour with Rome In Limo or Joe Banana or etc. Again, me, I wouldn't want to drive myself. I've driven in Northern Italy when *not* pressed for time, and that was stressful enough. (To say nothing of the parking!)

I have traveled to Florence on a previous land trip, spending 3 nights and most of 4 days. Everything I want to see is a "do over" since our friends haven't been to Italy or Europe at all, and want to hit highlights. I know La Spezia is a long distance, but having to change trains in Pisa just doesn't appeal. I'm thinking a private tour for the 4 of us will be the best use of time, and will give us more flexibility.

I'm reading reviews and see Joe Banana Limos and Rome in Limo mentioned often. Any other providers I should look at?

Thanks, Barb