Great Stirrup Cay

twokids2

We enjoyed GSC. I would advise getting early tender tickets and getting to the island early. We were on the first tender and had about 60-90 minutes before it got crowded on the beach. Then we took a walk across the island to the "lighthouse beach" (about 20 minutes each way) and then got back to the ship.

-Monte

We enjoyed GSC. I would advise getting early tender tickets and getting to the island early. We were on the first tender and had about 60-90 minutes before it got crowded on the beach. Then we took a walk across the island to the "lighthouse beach" (about 20 minutes each way) and then got back to the ship.

-Monte

What are tenders for, and how do you get it.

GSC provides for a terrific beach day, a nice buffet lunch, beach side music, snorkeling, etc. I also enjoyed a walk to the other side of the island, where I found some NCL staff swimming and snorkeling. There was also a nice "Kodak Moment" of the Dawn anchored off shore. For those not interested in the beach, it also provides a nice day to enjoy the ship's facilities while half the passengers or so go ashore.

Some ports (including GSC) do not have dock facilities. Tenders are smaller boats that shuttle passengers from ship to shore and back (sometimes they actually use some of the ships lifeboats). About 1/2 hr before the tenders begin running, they opened the excursion desk for "early tender tickets". For about the first hour or so, to get on a tender, you needed a ticket. After that it was open tendering.

hope this helps

-Monte

Tenders are the small boats that ferry you from the ship to the island (the ship will anchor instead of docking). Tender tickets are free and you get them onboard. Read your Freestyle Daily and listen to onboard announcements for details.

GSC is kind of a love-hate thing--some people adore it, and some can't stand it. I'm kind of in the middle. Go and check it out...if you don't like it, you can catch a tender back to the ship at any time.

There are also VIP tender tickets for those so classified, and are available throught the Concierge. You don't need to request them, they are delivered to your room ahead of time. VIP Tender Tickets can be used at any time, just show up.

:) Going on the Sun 4-1-06 and have heard that Great Stirrup Cay is a waste of time, anyone have info about the Cay? Will anyone be traveling from the NY area. Hope to find other passengers.

I dont know who told you that ??? But they are crazy. its a wonderful day in a very nice cove. Great snorkling and also a variety of othere activities, clean restrooms and a BBQ with chicken, dogs and burgers. We were there this weekend and eventhough we had a bunch of rain, it was still a great place.

Enjoy,

Jeff

On our 2nd cruise ever on NCL we were on a "sports cruise" with major league baseball players...at Great Stirrup Cay...I'll never forget the sight of my son playing volleyball with Yankee players and my DH sitting for hours talking baseball with retired players.

I wish NCL still did that!

On our 2nd cruise ever on NCL we were on a "sports cruise" with major league baseball players...at Great Stirrup Cay...I'll never forget the sight of my son playing volleyball with Yankee players and my DH sitting for hours talking baseball with retired players.

I wish NCL still did that!

Please don't strand me on an island with a bunch of Yankee Players!!!

We LOVE GSC. One of the most relaxing days of my life.

We bring our own tubes to float in.

Every hour on the hour an organized group snorkels out to the "rock" where much of the fish can be found.

We liked to take the first ticket-less tender, then take the absolute last tender back to the ship.

It's nice and calm and quiet for the final hour on the island, and during the summer, the sun is not as strong.

During the summer, be very careful not to get burned.

Archived