Great Stirrup Cay

twokids2

Okay, it's been awhile for me and mind isn't as young as it used to be, but I'll give it a shot. I know the snorkel equip. if you don't have your own you have to rent, and the kids once rented one of these huge round rafts that was great for several people to float around on. Very minimal, I'm thinking $10? Other's who have been more recently should be able to answer better.

What things cost "extra" while on GSC? When we were on Disney's private island, there were extra fees for tubes, rafts, & snorkeling equipment. What will I need to pay extra for when I'm at GSC?

They nicked me $10 for fins only (I had my own mask and snorkel). Thought it was a bit steep, but what can you do?

The itinerary for our cruise on the Spirit (way off in Feburary 2007, yep, I'm one of those hard core advance planner types) states we arrive at Great Stirrup Cay at 7:30pm on a Thursday, and depart the following day at 2:00pm. I've never heard of an "overnight stay" at a private island before - does anyone know if that allows evening time ashore on the date of arrival, or just morning/lunch time the following day? If the former (which I fear is unlikley), that sounds like it would be neat!!!!

Lunch on Great Stirrup Cay

NCL_Private_Island_Lunch.jpg

after looking at ship excursions on NCL's website I see 2 offerings for GSC. Snorkeling for $29 adults and Parasailing for $79 adults.

I'm a bit interested in the parasailing :eek: and am wondering if anyone here has done it on GSC? (have never tried it on cruises before, but have always thought about it!). Do you think parasailing on a non-private island might make for more "enjoyable" scenary vs. doing so on a private island with less developed areas to view from above? Just a thought.....probably will chicken out in the end :D

They hit you pretty good at the equipment shack. I was surprised with one thing....... there is no charge to use the buoyancy vest. Best (and healthier) to bring your own mask and snorkel........ fins are great but take up allot of space............. unless we are going to a reef.. we usually just wear our water shoes. No to be cheap..... but becasue we usually go off the beaten path in different ports, we actually bring 2 small surf rafts with us. (http://www.poolrafts.com) has good quality rafts that we have used for 6 cruises not and they are still in great shape. Canvas 60"

J

:) Going on the Sun 4-1-06 and have heard that Great Stirrup Cay is a waste of time, anyone have info about the Cay? Will anyone be traveling from the NY area. Hope to find other passengers.

It seems to be a "love it or hate it" kind of place. I hated it, but I am not using Coney Island or Manhattan Beach as a reference either. 2,000 persons on a beach the size of a Winnebago has never been my idea of a good time, especially in light of the BBQ served there (think hamburgers and hot dogs served on stale bread).

Then again, many consider it the highlight of their trip.

It seems to be a "love it or hate it" kind of place. I hated it, but I am not using Coney Island or Manhattan Beach as a reference either. 2,000 persons on a beach the size of a Winnebago has never been my idea of a good time, especially in light of the BBQ served there (think hamburgers and hot dogs served on stale bread).

I would probably agree with you except that we got early tender tickets so had a basically uncrowded beach for the first hr or two. When it got crowded we left (and got back to the ship in time for lunch).

-Monte

DITTO!!

Archived