Are You Save On A Cruise?

LSU Traveler

Maybe this subject is addressed on another topic or another board but after watching a feature on the Discovery channel entitled "Cruise ships in troubled waters" I wondered if there was a web site that cruisers had an opportunity to post their experiences that they considered unsafe or unaddressed by the cruise lines or authorities.

A site that people are able to post negative events that they have had that we don't see on the normally positive post? Not just that they didn't like the food, too many children, no ice in the buckets daily, etc.

More like they were accosted by a member of the crew, someone offered them drugs on board the ship, they got sick and the shipboard infirmary wasn't helpful.

In the feature the onboard hospital of most cruise ships is inadequate and there are no certified doctors, their daughter/wife/child was attacked, etc.

I know it's probably a small amount of these types of crimes that occur but it would be nice to have some place that might give warning to people.

Just wondering.

Lots of discussion here about this issue. Use the search function for "Safe" or "Safety".

The media has no show if they say how safe things are. Much better TV if they can harp on the few incidents out there that do happen. Stay smart and you'll stay safe. Remember Natalee Holloway, things like that can happen on land or on sea vacations.

As a single female . . . I feel safer walking on the deck of a ship . . . at any hour . . . than I do anywhere else. Those that book a cruise are usually looking for a nice vaction . . . not an opportunity to do harm to anyone cruising with them.

As a single female . . . I feel safer walking on the deck of a ship . . . at any hour . . . than I do anywhere else. Those that book a cruise are usually looking for a nice vaction . . . not an opportunity to do harm to anyone cruising with them.

Very well put!

Hey LSU, long time no see.:) (Where IS your post count?)

I feel so safe on a cruise ship, although I'm always aware of my surroundings - just as I am anywhere I travel, and even in my own hometown.

However, I know this isn't what you're talking about. Maybe it takes one LSUer to understand another? LOL

I agree. I also think it would be a good thing just to SEE what other people have actually experienced as far as the 'bad side' of cruising. I understand what you're talking about, and it would be an interesting site to view.

As a single Mom, I have cruised twice with just me and my son. I have always felt safe and relatively stress free on my cruises (although I always keep aware of my surroundings and use common sense).

On our land vacations I was stressed out and worried the whole time. One year we flew out west, rented a car and drove around the 4 corners area sight seeing sleeping in hotels each night. Another year we drove to Washingto DC and spent time at the Smithsonian museums. Although I enjoyed our time, I was always worried and stressed out. What if the car breaks down, what if I get mugged stopping for gas, what if someone sees a single woman and a boy checking into a hotel and watches where we go, what if I get lost and end up in a bad area. The 'what if's" just went on and on.

After our first cruise, I decided I will never again do a land vacation as a single woman.

It reads like the OP wants to find a site where people can go to only complain about their experience onboard cruise ships. There are sites like that out there, over the years I've happened upon them, usually by accident and usually just an individuals efforts to trash a particular ship or cruiseline because of their experience. They sometimes have an axe to grind and will take it to an unhealthy level.

People do have a tendency to feel safer on a cruise ship than they should. Bad things can and do happen, although not at an alarming rate as the OP suggests. You have to be aware of your surroundings, don't let your kids roam the ship alone. There can be instances of abuse, by both crew and other pax, crime can happen anywhere. We have never had any type of situation happen to us and hopefully never will. The newsworthy events that we read about are things that happen daily in our hometowns as well, the incidents get far more attention because it happened on a luxury cruise/vacation rather than in our normal environment.

For instance, the honeymooner that fell (or was thrown up and over a railing) off the RCI ship has made international news. This incident would not have made much more than a local paper had he gotten drunk at his apartment building at home and fell (or was thrown) from his balcony and died there. Many Americans are up in arms about this because it is an unsolved mystery and the American gov't. does not have the jurisdiction for investigating the incident.

Just as you would take precautions while visiting a foreign country on vacation, the same consideration should be made on a cruise ship. That's not to say, go in fear, just give it some thought and have a talk with your family before embarkation.

Great link, Bequia, I've seen it before. It's a reaffirmation that yes, things can go wrong, but no, not with any regularity and a very small percentage of criminal activity.

I've read here on these boards of pax assault from crew, but then they (the victim) doesn't report it. Which is a shame because the assailant will probably repeat the crime and could have been stopped if the victim hadn't been too embarrassed to come forward (probably what the assailant is hoping for).

I wish you all safe and healthy travels.

The man that runs the cruisejunkie site is Ross Klein, an author who has wrote articles and books "exposing the dark side of the cruise industry." Personally, I feel safe on a ship and I have experienced problems, but have never felt in danger, but if people want to find something wrong with everything, let them.

It's as safe as the neighborhood you live in !!!

You see....it's filled with the same people the good Lord put everywhere else.

re hospitals: never believe everything you hear, I observed my DW having minor surgery and THEY GOT IT ALL babe ! Check it out sometime.

Archived