Beverage Package Question

dcl1710

Ohhh, yes, I agree and I also think just the convenience of knowing that you don't have to find your card, etc everytime you want something is part of the lure of the SBP for sure too.

Do you happen to know the pricing for specialty coffees, waters, & sodas? So, when you are in the Lido, if you have a fountain drink for lunch, they charge you for that? Is that correct? And regular coffee/tea/water is available. Now, I remember why Viking was so easy!

Theoretically speaking here because I am really trying to figure this out, haha.....

7 a.m. breakfast- specialty coffee/mimosa

10 a.m. water

12 noon lunch bloody mary/diet coke/water

2:00 snack/hot tea

5:00 cocktail

7:00 dinner 3!!! glasses of wine

9:00 show cocktail

That's 12 drinks for me...and I seriously would be facedowndrunk on day 1. ;p;p.

So, truth of the matter....I'm a lightweight at the bar....No way I could sustain that schedule and make it all week. But, again, the good NZ Sauvignon Blanc is 9.75/glass, so I would have to upgrade to the Elite package? Is that correct? Now, if my choice of wine could be included....and I didn't incur the upcharge...that might be a different story. But to pay 750+ and not have the wine of choice is not gonna happen over here. And of course, my husband prefers red! Ha!

This site is a good source for beverage pricing on HAL..

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-beverage-menus/

As Ruth wisely said, you don't have to drink 15 beverages a day to make the SBP pay for itself. With the average wine and cocktail price of $7.50, plus the 15% service charge, you are drinking free after only 5 or 6 drinks. Sure, if you only have a glass or 2 of wine with dinner, the SBP and EBP are not for you. Both packages include just about anything wet you can drink, up to the $9 and $15 limits respectively. And those prices are menu prices, the 15% service charge is covered in your package, so you don't have to worry about that when you are looking at menu prices. We find the SBP covers our needs and we always make out by hundreds of $$$ with the package vs. paying as-you-go.

Thank you all for your advice! I appreciate it :):)

We are doing the southbound Alaska cruise at the end of June - is anyone else going?? We have 3 full days where we are on the boat all day, and three days where we are in port almost the entire day, so I am torn. We will probably end up going with it but the upfront cost makes me hesitant. We shall see!

Thank you all for your advice! I appreciate it :):)

We are doing the southbound Alaska cruise at the end of June - is anyone else going?? We have 3 full days where we are on the boat all day, and three days where we are in port almost the entire day, so I am torn. We will probably end up going with it but the upfront cost makes me hesitant. We shall see!

You need to join your Roll Call to meet up with people on your cruise.

What ship and date are you sailing and we will give you a link to your Roll Call.

I have ONE more question for the time being. Since there is a 15% service charge on every drink if we do not get the SBP, does that count as the tip? Or do we need to tip a dollar or two extra per drink on top of the 15% charge? Does the 15% charge apply for meals too?

Thamks guys!!

The automatic15% added to your drinks is considered the gratuity, and there is no need to tip above and beyond that, however some folks do.

This does not apply to meals in the MDR. The HSC that is automatically charged to your onboard account covers the dining staff service (as well as others), but again some folks choose to tip certain service staff above the HSC for exceptional service.

It is entirely up to you.

The automatic15% added to your drinks is considered the gratuity, and there is no need to tip above and beyond that, however some folks do.

This does not apply to meals in the MDR. The HSC that is automatically charged to your onboard account covers the dining staff service (as well as others), but again some folks choose to tip certain service staff above the HSC for exceptional service.

It is entirely up to you.

That's good to know! Thank you! Do they take cash or would we put it on a card?

That's good to know! Thank you! Do they take cash or would we put it on a card?

If you're going to tip above and beyond the automatic15% for bar beverages and/or above the automatic HSC for dining room staff, cash is acceptable. It would not go on your card.

As long as you don't reduce or remove your automatic HSC, the dining room staff would be able to keep all of any extra tip you give them (typically at the end of your cruise), otherwise they would have to give it to the 'tip pool' for all to share.

Again, tipping above and beyond the automatic HSC and/or the 15% on beverages is neither required nor expected.... but always appreciated!